Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   CR3171 Finally going back together! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/131056-cr3171-finally-going-back-together.html)

Aussie Mike 09-11-2014 05:59 AM

CR3171 Finally going back together!

I've got posts and updates about stuff I've done on the car all over the forum but no real build thread. Since the car is finally going back together I figured I'd start a new thread and keep updating it as I go. This should also help with my motivation. :o

Today I picked up the chassis from the powder coating. I've got it on some axle stands while I assemble it back into a rolling chassis.

The colour is Mercury Silver and it's got a bit of a pearl through it. Looks pretty good in the sun. There are a couple of spots that need touching up but over all I'm pretty happy.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1410439995

I couldn't resist bolting a few things on once I got it home tonight. So far I've put the fuel line and rear brake lines on the chassis. It's incredibly satisfying to bolt things on for the last time.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1410439995

Cheers

guye 09-11-2014 06:05 AM

Awesome Mike. I know this is going to be one fine auto, as the poms call 'em. Love that you already set the bar high with particular colour and flecking in the chassis paint!

Donunder 09-11-2014 06:15 AM

Nice one Mike -- and there I was thinking it'd be black like almost everybody else's.

This is one build thread I'm immensely looking forward to. It is sure to be educational for all of us to see those unique items you've developed and the different approaches you've adopted over the years (!) finally coming together in what will be a very special car. Don't spare the details!

albanycobra 09-11-2014 06:26 AM

Awesome Mike.....nothing like the smell of fresh powder coat......

leroy17 09-11-2014 11:22 AM

Looking forward to this that's for sure.

Reminds me of the OCC series. One episode represents the fabrication, mock up, trial and error and design.

The next episode is the paint, and then the build re-assembly to final reveal.

Episode one has been great Mike, looking forward to episode two.

Dimis 09-11-2014 01:20 PM

Awesome.
...and nice bike too.
Any info on that?
Should you casually want to share, I'm keenly listening. :)

gjkrv8 09-11-2014 02:48 PM

Well done Mike. Looking forward to seeing your progress along the way to completion. Cheers Gregg

Aussie Mike 09-11-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leroy17 (Post 1318494)

Reminds me of the OCC series.

Don't know about the comparson with OCC. I'm thinking it's been more like OCD :JEKYLHYDE

Cheers

Modena 09-11-2014 03:45 PM

Great stuff, I too expected it to be black. How do you touch up powdercoat?

Gav 09-11-2014 03:58 PM

You don't, but it doesn't chip easily either.

Chris L 09-11-2014 04:12 PM

Looking forward as always to the updates Mike, has been a while since you made the brm brm noises when your kit first arrived !. No doubt this will be a very well engineered and practical car. The hours of thought and logic that has gone into it make it a very special car for all of us watching from a distance. Not too much of what you have done hasn't ended up on a stack of other peoples cars. I think that speaks volumes.
Let the fun begin...........for the last time !!!

Cheers
Chris L

Aussie Mike 09-11-2014 06:08 PM

Hi Ben,

There is a spot where the powder coat is a little thin and another spot where it looks like there has been some sort of contamination left under the powder coat and it has bubbled through when baked. Both are in hard to see out of the way places. I think I'll just find some matching spray paint and give it a bit of a dust over in those areas. I'm not so much worried about the look as the chance of any corrosion coming through.

Cheers

Aussie Mike 09-11-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1318505)
Awesome.
...and nice bike too.
Any info on that?
Should you casually want to share, I'm keenly listening. :)

The bike is based on a 1976 Yamaha XS650. I built it years ago out of home made parts and stuff I found at swap meets. After completing it I hurt my back and wasn't able to ride it for more than about 30 minutes so it's sat in the back of the shed. It's now out on display and I'll give it a freshen up once I finish thes other projects.

It's got a fairly stock 650 motor in it at the moment but I was piecing together a 919cc stroker motor for it. These motors were very competitive in Flat Track against the Triumphs and Harley XR750s back in the day (Kenny Roberts used to ride one). They were also competitive in sidecar motocross and a lot of the bits are based on the mods from those to incarnations. The stroker motor will probably shake my teeth out so I've been contemplating re-phasing the crank from 360 degrees to 270 degrees.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../11409xss1.jpg

Cheers

Thor maine 09-11-2014 06:31 PM

Great looking frame.

stephen low 09-11-2014 09:19 PM

Didn't get a chance to get back to you Mike after visiting a factory that powedercoats its gear in undercoat first then topcoat powder coat as well.

Was going to suggest this as one way to ensure the chassis was well protected even in the case of topcoat chipping.

Done now though and looks good.

Keep at it mate.

Slo

Dimis 09-11-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Mike (Post 1318551)
The bike is based on a 1976 Yamaha XS650.

Shyieeet, that bike older than me! :o
Better looking too :CRY:

Thx for sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Mike (Post 1318551)

Any chance the paint job on CR3171 is going to share the same colour scheme?
I humbly think that would look HOT HOT HOT...

spookypt 09-11-2014 11:47 PM

Mike, in case you were curious how long its been.... Really 2001?

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/aust...y-collect.html

Aussie Mike 09-12-2014 12:08 AM

Yes it's true I'm embarrassed to say. It's probably one of the reasons I don't head along to club meetings so much any more. I feel like I'm a bit of a joke sometimes.

The mistake was taking it off the road to rebuild it after I got it first registered. I should have just done smaller incremental jobs on it. Once I had pulled it down the temptation was there to change everything at once and one idea leads on to another. Still, I've been enjoying tinkering with it all these years.

Cheers

DaveW 09-12-2014 12:31 AM

Hi Mike,
Chassis looks great, love the silver choice :)
Really looking forward to the finishing progress.
Hope to catch up some time.

Dave

stephen low 09-12-2014 02:45 AM

Mike

Don't worry mate six years has gone in a few blinks of the eye but like you the end is in sight.

Keep at it but please don't amend anything anymore until you are driving your beast.

At least you got to do a whole lot with it before you took it off the road too!

I didn't even give myself that opportunity.

Cheers

Steve