Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2014, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, LS1 stack injection
Not Ranked     
Default how often do you take out your ac Cobra?

me and my mate went for a 250km drive yesterday in our Cobras and he showed me a really nice stretch of road to get your blood pumping. we started by going down Ballarat highway and got off at the Pikes Creek exit and then we went all the way to Greendale and then from Greendale you go to Trentham and you have to stop at the bakery, they make the best pies in Victoria I reckon anyway. Then from there we went to Tylden through to Woodend and then on to the Calder Freeway to make our way back home. Highly recommended it had a ball. next time I go I might put up a post so if anyone else wants to come they are more than welcome to come along. I was just wondering how often people take their cars out? since I've had mine I have taken it out at least twice a week but I've only had it for a couple of month.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Snake Pit DRB 302W
Not Ranked     

Yes, always kinda wondered how often cobra owners get the chance to enjoy there pride and joy? So often you see cobra's for sale that are 10years plus, but will only have around 20,000 k's.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

No where near enough!
I seem to be able to break mine fairly regularly so I need to fix it between drives
I attended then Geelong Revival last year and then spent a few days at Lorne flogging it around the hills and Great Ocean Road that was great fun!
Old 09-13-2014, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlox View Post
Yes, always kinda wondered how often cobra owners get the chance to enjoy there pride and joy? So often you see cobra's for sale that are 10years plus, but will only have around 20,000 k's.
I think you need to at least two 4000 kilometres a year which is about 330 km a month and at least give the car a service once a year no matter how many km you have done to keep the engine in good condition. I guess some people just like to say they have a cobra in the garage but not drive them much. I like to drive my car and if I get a lot of stone chips or scratches then so be it. even if I have to do get painted every 10 years at least I am enjoying my investment.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
No where near enough!
I seem to be able to break mine fairly regularly so I need to fix it between drives
I attended then Geelong Revival last year and then spent a few days at Lorne flogging it around the hills and Great Ocean Road that was great fun!
I know a few people in the same boat as you. I reckon even if when you get home from work and the sun is out just jump in the car and go for a drive to Mates house for a beer just to get the oil moving in the engine would do the car a world of good and it might not break down as often when you flogging it down the great Ocean Road.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Bought mine this Spring and have put 2000 miles on it. Didn't have a great Spring but every nice weekend it's out going somewhere!
1 TUF AC likes this.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

Here in the Northeast USA we have a fairly short driving season. As such I only average about 2,500 to 3,000 miles per year. Some say that is a lot in a year. But then again I didn't buy my AC to look at. For me; my AC is the ultimate stress relief.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII, Ford Racing crate 514
Not Ranked     

Just got home from a 200+ mile drive in my SPF. Since Houston weather is relatively mild year-round, I drive the car at least 4-5 times per week. I'm amazed at the number of Cobra owners that rarely drive their cars, logging less than a thousand miles a year...???

I just cannot fathom that concept...to me, driving this magnificent machine is beyond therapeutic...I love this little beast!!!

Marlox likes this.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Over the six years that I owned my first Cobra ( the Bumblebee )...

I clocked up approximately 140,000 kilometres ( 84,000 miles).
I was always upgrading and changing engines and most other "bits", so it was still fairly new at the end of all of that driving.

Tried to get out in the car almost every day...and 300-500 kilometre weekends were a regular thing.
I always feel really mellow when I'm in a Cobra...just love them.

I've had the "new" one on the road now,for about 16 months,

and although not driven quite as much as the first one, I've still managed over 20,000 kilometres already.

Got two big trips coming up soon...

The Round trip to the Cobra Nationals in a few weeks time,will clock up about 2,500 kilometres...
followed soon after with a run down to the Snowy Mountain region,for the bi-annual COOMA RUN, which I'm guessing will add another 3,000 kilometres to the car.

Should be great.

Cheers Warren
deano59, guye, BJ's Snake and 6 others like this.

Last edited by Wazza; 09-14-2014 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-13-2014, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 TUF AC View Post
I know a few people in the same boat as you. I reckon even if when you get home from work and the sun is out just jump in the car and go for a drive to Mates house for a beer just to get the oil moving in the engine would do the car a world of good and it might not break down as often when you flogging it down the great Ocean Road.
I'd love to say I had the time to 'duck over to a mates place for a beer' but time is not always readily available!
I damaged my engine at Shelbyfest, I am a bit over fixing it at the minute so I bought a 911 to keep me entertained until it is back together
1 TUF AC likes this.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Over the six years that I owned my first Cobra ( the Bumblebee )...

I clocked up approximately 140,000 kilometres ( 84,000 miles).
I was always upgrading and changing engines and most other "bits", so it was still fairly new at the end of all of that driving.

Tried to get out in the car almost every day...and 300-500 kilometre weekends were a regular thing.
I always feel really mellow when I'm in a Cobra...just love them.

I've had the "new" one on the road now,for about 16 months,

and although not driven quite as much as the first one, I've still managed over 20,000 kilometres already.

Got two big trips coming up soon...

The Round trip to the Cobra Nationals in a few weeks time,will clock up about 2,500 kilometres...
followed soon after with a run down to the Snowy Mountain region,for the bi-annual COOMA RUN, which I'm guessing will add another 3,000 kilometres to the car.

Should be great.

Cheers Warren

I can't believe you drive your Cobra that much. You must love the fresh air lol. If my calculations are correct on average you drive 1944 km a month. I don't even drive my work car that much. Great to see somebody really using their car for what it was made for. Keep up the good work
Old 09-14-2014, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

I get out in my various kit cars at least once a week. And that's with the weather I've got here - frost, snow, rain... the important thing to remember is to get your headwear right, and to pick the car for the weather. An example being if it is near freezing, have a hat that covers your ears. If its near freezing and raining, wear a hat that covers your ears, take the car with a tonneau to keep the passenger side dry, and take the car with no interior carpets etc.

Simple.

I have to admit though, not many people are as resilient to the cold as I am, especially in Australia.

Treeve
1 TUF AC likes this.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

i love driving my 40.....i got it registered in dec 13 and have clocked up about 1400k's. The car has been off the road for a motor and trans upgrade for about 8 weeks now and I'm getting really bummed about it. I never cared about driving in the past but now i think it's more important than building.
dallas_ likes this.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I take it for a drive as often as I can, 2-5 times per week depending on the weather. Bought the car 7 months ago, lost at least a month due to snow and still put 5,000 miles on it; albeit 1,000 was in one trip alone. Smiling from ear to ear each time and it is a great stress relief
Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I drive mine at least twice a week, even if it's only for a short run. I've put over 2000 mi on the new engine over the past 9 months, mostly shorter rides, 15 to 50 miles.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 TUF AC View Post
I can't believe you drive your Cobra that much. You must love the fresh air lol. If my calculations are correct on average you drive 1944 km a month. I don't even drive my work car that much. Great to see somebody really using their car for what it was made for. Keep up the good work
The Bumblebee was his daily driver........

He kept a mint Falcon XR8 manual ute for special weekends.....
Wazza likes this.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

I have had mine for 18 months,it had 6000klm on it with the first owner (13years), its now up 11,950klm. i try and get it it out every weekend, somtimes twice like this weekend.
but now the third child has come along the handbrake has been somewhat applied a little bit.
I flooded it when i went to pick up a slab at dan murpheys on the weekend, so i thought i would have a beer while i waited, a mate said i should be selling tickets with the amount of people that stoped to talk and take photos!
cycleguy55 and 1 TUF AC like this.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427 (#53) , LS3, TR6060
Not Ranked     

So...apart from the weather, what stops it being a daily driver?
Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswallaby View Post
So...apart from the weather, what stops it being a daily driver?
Nothing.

I drove mine daily for a bit under a year and it was great fun. Sure, sometimes it was hot and sometimes you'd get rained on, but that's no big deal.

I think a big thing for some people is they have some really beautiful paint jobs that cost a lot of money. I can therefore understand a reluctance to go and leave a top shelf show car in a shopping centre car park unattended for hours.

Mine already had patina, so I might not have noticed an extra little bump or scrape. I must say that I never had a single problem leaving the car anywhere, anytime.
guye likes this.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I drive it whenever the weather and the type of errand align and yes, it does get a lot of attention. With recent overnight frost here (Saskatchewan, Canada), I fear Cobra / open car season may soon be coming to an end, though it appears we'll have warmer days (and nights) for the next 10 days or so. It also wouldn't surprise me that we'll have a few days between now and the end of October where the Cobra can be driven while wearing an extra, warmer layer.