Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aussie Mike

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     
Default Australian 5.0 litre Windsor engines

Can anybody help me out with information about what the differences are in the 5.0 Windsor engines that were fitted in AU Falcons?
I know the following engines were fitted:
5.0 litre ... 175kW ... 395Nm ... Falcon Forte and Ghia
5.0 litre ... 200kW ... 420Nm ... XR8, up to May 2001
5.0 litre ... 220kW ... 435Nm ... XR8, May 2001 and later

Are there any mechanical differences between these engines, or are the differences in the ECU only?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

The ones to get are the Tickford AU Falcon engines. They are very, very durable.

I am no expert, but it seems by AUII and definitely AUIII, every XR8 had a hand built Tickford engine in it.

The Tickford engines were individually hand built, blue printed, spec'd with roller rockers, GT40P heads, oil cooler etc.

You can spot a Tickford engine by the Tickford logo on the throttle body. Also there is a Hand Built plaque on the rocker cover with the name of the person who built the engine. If it still has the plastic engine cover, it has a large Tickford logo on it as well.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The one you really want is the 5.6L 250KW 500Nm motor from 2002

I'm a bit of a fan of this motor. I've had two of them now.

Cheers
Laner likes this.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Au220

Glen

To confirm Craig's observations a "Hector M" originally assembled the 220kw version engine I have as per below. It was from an AUII I believe.

I no longer need to worry if Hector was having a good or bad monday-friday during asssembly as mine has now been rebuilt per below as evidenced by the non-standard alloy heads.

And having seen Mike's comment I'd second the statement that the stroked AUIII motors were the choice if you could source one. Even Ford staff were fans that the combo had been got right on that last motor variant.

Clearly though, scarcity and no doubt price will go up as you head from the bog standard 5L through the variants up to the stroked version.

Aim for the stoker is my suggestion and good luck with the hunt.

Slo
Old 09-23-2014, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

A mate of mine was working in the engine dyno room at Ford when these were being built.
It was he who bought his 15 years of engine building to Ford who suggested they strike the Windsor as a answer to the chev being put in the Holden until they got the 5.4 in the ba.

It was really only a short term fix but as usual possibly the best combo.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

I owned a 1999 AU1 TS50 220kw, the first of the 220s, before the xr8s, it was handbuilt by a bloke called Bandula. It had all the fruit including the gt40 Alloy heads which were discontinued back to iron on all later models. The pushbutton gear change on the steering wheel was also a first for an australian car, the koni suspension and independent rear end was also world class, much superior car to what holden were building at the time, the 5.6 stroker is the pick of them as they are the evolution of that motor. Ive got a 347 now sitting in my xy ute.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Hello Glen

AFAIK / going from distant memory...

...the 175kW engines were the standard/base model with the E7TE(?) heads

Higher rated engines were largely Heads/Throttlebody and later cam

this link shows the engine combos (I think I recognise one of my brother's apprentice's name in there...)
aufalcon.com - Home of the Ford AU Falcon Club | Australian Ford Falcon AU Series Club for Members

The machine ported GT40P heads on the 220kW are the same as the 250kW I think

A while ago I got a copy of the tech specs/service manual on the 250kW motor (cant find atm)

From memory the rocker ratio is 1.7:1 rather than the usual 1.6:1 and The cam lift at valve comes in at about the same as the ford E303 cam

LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 09-23-2014 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: added vagueness
Old 09-23-2014, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
The ones to get are the Tickford AU Falcon engines. They are very, very durable.

I am no expert, but it seems by AUII and definitely AUIII, every XR8 had a hand built Tickford engine in it.

The Tickford engines were individually hand built, blue printed, spec'd with roller rockers, GT40P heads, oil cooler etc.

You can spot a Tickford engine by the Tickford logo on the throttle body. Also there is a Hand Built plaque on the rocker cover with the name of the person who built the engine. If it still has the plastic engine cover, it has a large Tickford logo on it as well.
Thanks Craig. Yes I gathered that the T engines were the pick. I've been keeping a casual eye open and I've only seen one available, and they certainly attract a premium price for a 12yo engine.
...and that takes me back to the more easily available variants, the 175/200/220kW engines. Can an ECU from a 220 instantly transform a 175kW engine into a 220?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-23-2014, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
The one you really want is the 5.6L 250KW 500Nm motor from 2002

I'm a bit of a fan of this motor. I've had two of them now.

Cheers
Thanks Mike. It sounds like a good engine....it's even internally balanced.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-23-2014, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
.... the stroked AUIII motors were the choice if you could source one. Even Ford staff were fans that the combo had been got right on that last motor variant.

Clearly though, scarcity and no doubt price will go up as you head from the bog standard 5L through the variants up to the stroked version....

Slo
Thanks Slo. They must have ended up being expensive engines for Ford with the amount of rework and selective assembly involved.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-23-2014, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
Hello Glen

AFAIK / going from distant memory...

...the 175kW engines were the standard/base model with the E7TE(?) heads

Higher rated engines were largely Heads/Throttlebody and later cam

this link shows the engine combos (I think I recognise one of my brother's apprentice's name in there...)
aufalcon.com - Home of the Ford AU Falcon Club | Australian Ford Falcon AU Series Club for Members

The machine ported GT40P heads on the 220kW are the same as the 250kW I think

A while ago I got a copy of the tech specs/service manual on the 250kW motor (cant find atm)

From memory the rocker ratio is 1.7:1 rather than the usual 1.6:1 and The cam lift at valve comes in at about the same as the ford E303 cam

LoBelly
Thanks LoBelly. So the 175kW had E7 heads? So there's at least one of the differences I was looking for. E7s are considered as not worth hand or machine porting. That's more than just a change of ECU to upgrade.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-24-2014, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Glen, just to make it clear, all of the AUIII XR8 engines are Tickford's. They are the 220kw model. So even if they are pulled from a stock XR8, it will be a Tickford. So they are relatively common?

Not sure if all the AUII engines are Tickford's, but I have seen stock AUII XR8's with factory fitted Tickford engines.

So the Tickford's are relatively common.

The 5.6 engine is the expensive one.

Keep looking and you will find a suitable engine.

If you find one up near us, just let me know as we would be happy to store it for you.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Glen, just to make it clear, all of the AUIII XR8 engines are Tickford's. They are the 220kw model. So even if they are pulled from a stock XR8, it will be a Tickford. So they are relatively common?

Not sure if all the AUII engines are Tickford's, but I have seen stock AUII XR8's with factory fitted Tickford engines.

So the Tickford's are relatively common.

The 5.6 engine is the expensive one.

Keep looking and you will find a suitable engine.

If you find one up near us, just let me know as we would be happy to store it for you.
Appreciated, thanks