Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Aussie Mike
  • 2 Post By gjkrv8
  • 2 Post By guye

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2015, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     
Default Tyre Pressure Placard

Hi all,

so thought I would ask if anyone has done a nice tyre pressure placard I could plagiarise, and whilst we are at it, what is the current consensus on ideal tyre pressure for these cars.

In the states, for the FFR they are recommending 22 psi all around. What say you?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2015, 12:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Recommended pressures really depend on the rim size, tyre profile etc.
Ie there is no way you would run 22Lb on 19 inch rims with low profile tyres.

Nore would you run 38lb in Billboards.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My car is a little on the heavy side at 1200kgs so I've been running the tyres at the usual 32 psi all around.

Speaking recently with a person whose opinion I respect, he said that even with the car's 1200 kgs, a pressure of 26 psi should be adequate. 32 would result in ballooning with resultant heavy wear in the midddle 5 or 6 cm.

I am now running at 26 psi and the tyres do not feel overly hot at the end of a run. Turn in is not affected but steering effort at low or parking speeds has increased a bit, not much. Comfort is better. Road noise is unchanged.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

OK, there is a bit of science to it but this is my understanding.

It depends on the load rating of the tyre and the weight at each corner.

The pressure numbers on the tyre placard usually depend on the load applied to the tyres and not so much the handling or comfort. It's a safety number to maintain the load rating.

On the side of the tyre there will be a load rating number and a speed rating letter.

For example on the side of a Kumho KU36 in 315/35/17 there is the number 102W

The load rating is 102 (850KG per tyre) and the max Speed rating W (270Km/h)

Most of the tyre manufacturers will publish the data for their tyres. Bob Jane has a handy table on their web page toi interpret the numbers.

load-index-speed-symbol

The load rating is a maximum load but it is dependent on pressure. So to know the pressure you need to run will depend on how much load you have on your tyre.

For example on the rear I have the 315/35/17 tyres. And say my car weighs 1100KG and has a 52% rear bias so that means 572KG on the rear wheels or 286KG per tyre.

I haven't been able to find the load tables for Kumho but Toyo have them on their site

LoadInflation_Table

If you go to the 2nd to last page it has the standard load inflation tables.

For 102 rated tyre at 36PSI the rating is 1874 pounds (850KG)

At 22 PSI the load is 1246 pounds or 565 KG. Still well above the actual load you are applying to the tyre.

So as long as you have enough pressure to maintain your load rating you can tune the pressures for comfort or cornering.

Hope this helps

Cheers
guye, Rog246, leroy17 and 2 others like this.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Tim,

Here's what I used.

Just a simple Word document - PM me if you want me to email you the doc to edit etc.

cheers Gregg

Ad Guy and Jethrow like this.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
OK, there is a bit of science to it but this is my understanding.

It depends on the load rating of the tyre and the weight at each corner.

The pressure numbers on the tyre placard usually depend on the load applied to the tyres and not so much the handling or comfort. It's a safety number to maintain the load rating.

On the side of the tyre there will be a load rating number and a speed rating letter.

For example on the side of a Kumho KU36 in 315/35/17 there is the number 102W

The load rating is 102 (850KG per tyre) and the max Speed rating W (270Km/h)

Most of the tyre manufacturers will publish the data for their tyres. Bob Jane has a handy table on their web page toi interpret the numbers.

load-index-speed-symbol

The load rating is a maximum load but it is dependent on pressure. So to know the pressure you need to run will depend on how much load you have on your tyre.

For example on the rear I have the 315/35/17 tyres. And say my car weighs 1100KG and has a 52% rear bias so that means 572KG on the rear wheels or 286KG per tyre.

I haven't been able to find the load tables for Kumho but Toyo have them on their site

LoadInflation_Table

If you go to the 2nd to last page it has the standard load inflation tables.

For 102 rated tyre at 36PSI the rating is 1874 pounds (850KG)

At 22 PSI the load is 1246 pounds or 565 KG. Still well above the actual load you are applying to the tyre.

So as long as you have enough pressure to maintain your load rating you can tune the pressures for comfort or cornering.

Hope this helps

Cheers
FYI, both the load index and the Speed index are set by the Tyre & Rubber Manufacturers Association, in conjunction with tyre manufacturers.
It is the International Standard & manufacturers have to submit construction & materials data for each tyre they make to the Assoc. for verification etc to say that the tyre is manufactured to meet the load & speed indexes. Therefore the load & speed ratings from all manufactures are the same.
Having been a rubber grub for more years than I want to remember, tyre pressures are most always up for debate........kinda !
Vehicle manufactures set their recommended pressures primarily for ride comfort & then for understeer.
Why understeer you ask ? Well the idea is that when the average punter arrives at the corner too fast the driver stands on the brakes, turns the wheel and the car plows straight ahead slowing the vehicle down & reducing impact
Hmmmm !
Why ride comfort (while I'm at it) When buying a new car, the buyer might spend 1-2hrs at the dealership looking at the car and doing the deal-however-
you (on avg.) spend only about 5-8 mins actually driving it. When you do get to drive it, you are usually taken by the sales person on a well travelled route used by said sales person that is not only well known but has few pot holes and a smooth surface. They get out at some point and you drive back to the showroom again by a nice smooth route as well.
THAT is the impression that they want you to have of the car-it's smooth & quite and has a lovely ride-not rocket science just good salesmenship
Will continue Tyres 101 tomorrow
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 05-25-2015, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Interesting comments on pressures, and I have been wondering what pressures to run in my Cobra when it finally drives.

I run 38-39psi in my Audi, and I still wear out the outsides WAY before the middle. Quattro into corners will do that. When it rains I go faster
Old 05-25-2015, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Gregg, you still haven't fixed that front/front error have you!

:-)
boxhead and gjkrv8 like this.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

On most of the yankee sites the old 1 psi per 100 lb rule is quoted. So if our cars weigh say 2400 lbs (1100 kg approx) then 24 psi is a good starting point.

Seems about right too for my HSV Clubsport which weighs around 3700 lbs and I like to run that about 38 psi.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

25 psi is what I run with 15"wheels with 265 on the front and 315 back, tyres don't get hot and the wear in even across the tyres after 12,000klm.