Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   A55HOLES on the road (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/133119-a55holes-road.html)

Aussie Mike 04-30-2015 06:08 PM

A55HOLES on the road

Hi All.

A conversation with my wife this morning got me thinking. We recently bought a new car for my wife, not brand new but new to us. Her previous car which we've owned for 9 years is a 2006 VW Jetta. It's been a nice car but it looks pretty generic by current standards and there are a lot of them about.

Her new car is another VW but this time a 20012 Passat CC. It's a very pretty car with a nice sleek shape to it. They are often compared to much more luxurious sedans but it's still a VW Price we paid was on par with a Commodore of the same age. Here's a 5th gear review so you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway I'll try to get to the point here. My wife reckons everyone hates her on the road. People won't let her merge into traffic like they did in the Jetta and she has been abused several times by drivers. She's not a bad driver, she indicates to change lanes and isn't the type to carve her way through traffic.

So what is it? Does the average Joe hate flash looking cars?

The thing that disturbs me is that someone would verbally abuse another driver "You F##&ing B!&$#!" etc even when my daughter is in the car.

Move the situation into a supermarket. You are strolling along the aisle with your trolley on your way to the baked beans and a large lady in front of you is moving slowly. You don't push your trolley right up close to her butt and shout "Get out of the way you fat cow! I bet you wouldn't be moving slowly through the fruit and veg aisle!"

What is it about the insulating shell of a car that makes people think that it's OK to let rip at another driver?

We've probably got a wide variety of daily driver cars on here. What are peoples attitudes to your car on the road?

Cheers

deano59 04-30-2015 06:30 PM

ive got a ford ranger with a bull bar people tend to give me room

Jamo 04-30-2015 06:31 PM

Tell her to use her right foot...

I drive all over the bestest roads in California for clients...from the wine country down to the border...in a red Bimmer 6, so I can only imagine the fingers behind me.

Aussie Mike 04-30-2015 06:41 PM

She's already found her right foot gets her moving a lot faster in this car than the Jetta LOL

PeterAllen 04-30-2015 06:59 PM

Thanks Mike, great topic. You've really motivated me to get the 250 GTO finished!

Aussie Mike 04-30-2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterAllen (Post 1346945)
Thanks Mike, great topic. You've really motivated me to get the 250 GTO finished!

What so people can abuse you while driving your flash car? :LOL:

Aussie Mike 04-30-2015 07:12 PM

I don't reckon you would get abused when driving a Cobra or GTO despite it being a flash car. I think people would be more respectful as they are just a cool looking car in any ones book.

I'm thinking people have issues with German cars. My wife's sister drives a C63 and she says she has the same experience. No one will let you into traffic etc.

Cheers

spookypt 04-30-2015 07:29 PM

Mike ....that's interesting. My old company accountant had one of those. It was a really nice car.

From my experience I've found that

- My old street cobra had no issues
- My Daytona has no issues (as no one can work out what it is!)
- My Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi V8 no issues except for Ford Ranger 4x4's. They ALWAYS tale gate me.
- My Old VW R Touareg yep a few issues but I think people thought it was a Porsche Cayenne. Then I'd get out in my boardies and flip flops and they'd tell me that "I should take my rich parents car home" what the!
- My F350 dually not a peep. Although people do seem to treat its overall size with contempt thinking I can pull up truck and trailer in the same space as a small hatchback when they pull into my braking area. I cant.
- My wifes Suby Forester no real issue but I think baby seat in the back helps a little.

My 2cents worth!

I suggest a sticker on the back saying I'm no relation to "Aussie Mike"! That might calm the people?

Spookypt

Tommy 04-30-2015 07:33 PM

I realize that cultures vary from place to place, but here in the USA I've heard it reported repeatedly that surveys indicate VW drivers are the most aggressive. Perhaps the lady is the recipient of antipathy built up by other Passat drivers. ... BTW, my attitude toward obnoxious drivers is gratitude. I'm grateful I only have to deal with them for a moment but they have to live with themselves forever.

deano59 04-30-2015 08:15 PM

I suggest a sticker on the back saying I'm no relation to "Aussie Mike"! That might calm the people?

Spookypt[/quote]

i can make the stickers lol

renovationinnov 04-30-2015 08:30 PM

I, m in for a sticker too
lol. lol

Modena 04-30-2015 08:49 PM

So much has to do with the area you are driving in and the time of day.

Both our daily drivers are German, other German cars let me in all the time, this is on the commute from bayside to South side of the city and back.

dhs.buckley 04-30-2015 09:15 PM

I find when I used to drive my fathers 20 year old range rover that people would tend to be a bit painful, and would go on about how much its worth, it was traded the other day for a Toyota v8 square wagon and seems to be no issues with it. and its traded price was $2500 dollars and most of the erks came from people driving $40-$60k dual cabs.

Aussie Mike 04-30-2015 09:18 PM

I'l put my hand up for one of those stickers.

I don't often have problems with other drivers. Perhaps they see I'm a fairly big guy and think twice. I don't have problems when driving my bull bar equipped Land Rover. In the Ute I get the odd young guy pull along side wanting to have a go at the lights or on the freeway but I just ignore them.

My wife works around Taylors lakes so maybe that's the issue.

Cheers

deano59 04-30-2015 09:23 PM

i will knock up a few stickers next week when i have a free moment

Towmaster 04-30-2015 09:27 PM

I drive a 2007 Rodeo with 3 big spotties out front and an airhorn..... If that doesn't work the 6 litre V8 will get me into gaps aplenty..... Just keep moving over and you can soon tell who gives in... if not then chill out and try again in another spot.
I recently got the chance to drive from the Russian border with Lithuania to St Petersburg (Russia) during peak hour..... believe me we are very polite over here. If someone doesn't let you in over there you just keep driving down the middle of the road...... until someone does let you in.

boxhead 04-30-2015 10:28 PM

European large cars have always had a stigma of "Too much money".
So I dare say these people abusing Lily are Bogans who think the world is against them.

Sorry to any Bogans I have offended.

750hp 05-01-2015 01:42 AM

Being a German car, maybe the sticker for Lily should say "I don't mind if you mention the war"...

I've never had anything but thumbs up in the Cobra.
I've never had any brand loyalty stupidity when I'm driving a muscle car.

The big difference I found was when I borrowed Mum's little Kia hatchback. What a champion little car, but I might as well have been invisible. Whereas anything V8 powered of mine holds it's own on the road, I also felt as though people felt they could change lanes "knowing" that the little white hatchback would give way.

Tengu 05-01-2015 05:34 PM

I have noticed quite a difference in attitudes from other drivers when driving different cars.
Cobra - no probs
Ford xr6 - some issues with lane changing and tailgating
Toyota Aurion (company car) - loads of people not letting me in
Nissan S15 - lots of tailgating, plenty of issues with letting me in, young guys in pretend cars (slow cars with stripes or spoilers ) were the worst
Toyota Hi Ace (wife's swim centre bus) - you would think the queen was driving. Every car gives way ... every one. Maybe having photos of kids all over it has something to do with it.

deano59 05-01-2015 10:44 PM

Only 2 good things are german beer and german shepherd dogs