Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   I want a cobra, how and why (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/134670-i-want-cobra-how-why.html)

Hoity 09-18-2015 05:48 AM

I want a cobra, how and why

Ever since dad rocked home in the early 1980s with a scalextrix set and his car was the ford cobra, I could have any other car except that one. I have often thought about owning one. As life unfolds the reality of actually doing it gets a bit closer, I am at the point now where I want explore the possibility and would like to understand some of the reasons behind why people have gone down the path they have. Ie, chev motors in ford cars, why they chose the kit they did, how have the kits available today evolved, are donor cars no longer the way to go?

I have started my journey by talking to two kit suppliers, both appear very knowledgable and are very passionate about what they do. Read a whole lot on this forum, and I must say some of the detail some forum members go to is simply amazing. Whilst this is great see photos and read along as they ply their craft, it can be a little intimidating, then their are others who have stunning cars to look at and plenty of bling but not quite the extra 20% some of the artisans go to, which gives me belief I can do this.

So my first question for the forum, would be why you chose the kit you did?

Appreciate any and all comments

Cheers jon

renovationinnov 09-18-2015 06:01 AM

jon
firstly welcome to the forum
second chev was the first choice that was to be fitted to a cobra
mine kit was price choice , cheap but most was basic so I had to build every thing from ground up , rebuild & re design most parts or build to suit what I wanted
its took 4 years from start to rego but I would do it again if my wife would let me
yes their are thing I,m still changing to suit myself now its regoed
some thing I built as test & am still using , now redesigning & evolving
hope this helps
rob

leroy17 09-18-2015 06:05 AM

Welcome.

Don't get caught up in the ford/chev motor thing. When you are cruising down an open road, sitting in a little seat with the wind in your hair, the heat of the sun burning your head, and your heart skipping a beat with excitement driving a hot rod version of your childhood dream. You will not care if its ford, lexus, Chevy, viper of any other V8 (or v10). The fun is in the drive, never underestimate that.

If an outright build is a little daunting, go a rebuild or refurb. Plenty to enjoy and learn on the way, with one that has been registered, and trust me, you get plenty of opportunities to personalise it to how you like, address some past issues, and learn a whole lotta stuff you never knew before.

Whatever you do, don't just leave it as a dream, or someone's else's thing........ Make it yours.

Also, I work in a bank with numbers, a calculator and stuff, and at best would describe myself as a weekend remover and fitter, so if a bank Johnny can do it, I am sure you can.

DaveW 09-18-2015 04:09 PM

Hi Jon
I chose the Classic Revival for a few reasons after looking at all available Australian kits that were on the market 4 years ago, some have gone by the wayside now, or new owners, and also new players with very good product on the market.
I couldn't afford to outlay for a whole kit at the time, so a partial purchase was a priority, so all I wanted was a body and chassis to start with.
I liked the CR body shape the best, particularly from the side where the door area meets the rear guard.
I love the CR chassis, exceptionally well sorted and designed for modern available late model running gear.
The cost of build has been spread over time as i can afford to do bits, i don't owe a cent on it, and i'm able to do lots of bits myself instead of paying others to do it.
I've enjoyed the build cause that's what i like to do (enjoy the journey) and best of all ended up with several new mates with similar interests that make the struggle points way easier to solve.
Still itching to drive it though.
I would buy a CR kit again, but with a few custom tweaks.

Good luck
Dave

Baz 09-18-2015 06:02 PM

Hi Jon,

I built an RMC (Replica Motor Company) from Perth WA. I picked this body and chassis in 2007 because in had a really strong chassis with side intrusion protection. I spared no expense as you can see by my 'Gallery'. I removed the body from the chassis upon delivery and had the chassis measured up for squareness by laser technology. A successful build must be square. We found a few areas in the chassis which required adjustments. When all was correct, the chassis was powder coated and the build commenced. It took 2 years to complete and another two years to get engineered and passed for full street rego. It is a beautiful car and I love it, but if I was going again, I wouldn't go past a Pace 427. They would have to be the ultimate Cobra Kit anywhere on this planet. Good luck with your choice and welcome.

Baz

SydneyChris 09-18-2015 06:32 PM

I've had the most atrocious experience with Classic Revival. Have also been in touch with a number of customers who were even more disgruntled than I was. Couldn't recommend more strongly that you look elsewhere.

While I bought an FFR Coupe recently, Ive seen a few of the latest PACE Cobras.. the quality of the build, engineering and technology with the pushrod suspension, box frame construction and cabin space is unparalleled. Do yourself a favour and have a look at these cars before you make any decision.

Cheers

Chris

Tenrocca 09-18-2015 09:09 PM

While not everyone has had a pleasant after sales experience with CR (and Im not sure where they are at at the moment) - having had King cobras, queen cobras, ShelbyFest Champions and numerous Show and Shine over the years evidence would suggest they go alright. :)

Gav 09-18-2015 10:41 PM

Not to mention a 'most authentic' winner too ;)

I like the CR's and would still buy one if I was to do it again.

I would fit a ford engine next time though, probably with a rope from the back to slow that Chevy down.

Paintwerks 09-18-2015 11:26 PM

Jon,

Welcome aboard!

My desire to own a Cobra began when at about 20 years of age in 1991, I saw a Cobra do about a 150ft sideways powerslide down Brighton Road. My jaw just hit the ground. I've never fallen out of love since! ;)

Fast forward to 2002 and I was living in Detroit with my American wife, and I started look at building a Factory Five. I hung out with guys who had finished them, had just received them and also those who were mid-way through their builds. At the time, with the options I wanted, it was going to cost about USD$35-$40K. My wife asked me to wait stating that our finances would take too much of a hit. Not long after, I learned to fly instead (another bucket list item!).

In 2012, I was pretty much set to build a Harrison, but was told about the new Absolute Pace 427SC. All-aluminium semi-monocoque TIG welded chassis, carbon fibre and kevlar body (and a gorgeous body shape at that), lots of cabin space, true pin drive 'knock-off' wheels, Brembo brakes, all new parts and my choice of motor. I bit the bullet and ordered in October 2012, receiving (rolling) chassis #7 in December 2013. My lead time was longer than normal as they were still developing the car at the time. Current lead time is a lot shorter.

I wasn't too hung up on the Ford versus Chevy thing. After all, Shelby first approached Chevy for one of their small blocks, but they turned him down...and then he went to Ford. In 2012, the LS3 was the best value new motor at the time and I was going to put one into the car, but then in early 2013 I got a cracker deal on a new 585hp LSA (same motor in the VF HSV GTS). So, that's what I went with. When completed, the car will weigh approximately 1060kg ready to rock.

I've had great support from Pace with help on the build, plus as there are at least 8 of us building the car (that I personally know), we have each other for support/questions etc. This good for you as by the time you order and start building, our cars will be completed and you can ask us questions about our experiences. Also, the current build manual is very comprehensive with lots of pictures/diagrams and version 5 is soon to be released.

Due to a shortage of finances, I didn't commence building my car until about July 2-13. Apart from being a full rolling chassis with diff and suspension installed, I've installed the motor and trans (with a little help from my friends!), have the fuel, brake, pedal, handbrake, wiper and cooling systems all installed, heater fitted, seats mounted etc. I'm about to jump onto the wiring, and when my headers turn up, I'll be able to start the car.......... hopefully within a few months! Expected completion is early next year, with luck, she'll be all painted, trimmed and registered for the Grand Prix.

The engineer who is certifying the car is extremely impressed with absolutely everything about the car (cannot fault it), says it is over-engineered and there will be no issue with obtaining full street registration which is the way I am going.

I own a bodyshop and am a qualified painter so I am painting my particular car, but the Pace's gelcoat is so beautiful and such high quality that many are opting to not paint and just run the polished gelcoat. I cannot argue with that logic. This particular attribute on the Pace can save you over $10K if you can live without painting the car and don't need a metallic finish.

The only thing you really need to be able to stomach is the budget. A Pace comprehensive kit (less powertrain, wheels, exhaust and interior trimming) is approx $50K to join the club if you buy them at the same time, then you have approx. $13-20K for powertrain, $4-10K for trimming, $4-6K for wheels/tyres, ~$4-5K for engineering, testing and rego and then paint. And then there are the options like LSD, superstreet body, second roll hoop, carbon dash, side pipes, bigger wheels etc. You could easily spend $100K+ without blinking an eye on building a Pace. And that doesn't include one cent of your time!!!!!:D**):JEKYLHYDE

I think it's all worth it though!! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Cheers,
Sime

albanycobra 09-19-2015 12:10 AM

Check out Muzza's Pace kit in the for sale section.

JLip 09-19-2015 12:33 AM

Why did I buy a

1 Attachment(s)
Hoity.......I grew up in Indianapolis and always liked to tinker with anything mechanical. My dream was to build... but as I got a little older reality set in that my skill level, time and desire really wasn't there. After much research, I decided to buy a Superformance. Don't get me wrong, there are many, many nice vehicles out there but I elected Superformance because of them being produced on a factory line and felt as though consistency was there. I'm sure happy I did as the only thing that is needed is a key and wax. I wish I could say that I put my heart and soul into the build but can't like many others. It's hard to describe the enjoyment of driving the beast on a beautiful day so I wanted a car that I could get in and drive without worrying about getting too far from home! Good luck and hope your dreams come true....You won't be sorry.

Dimis 09-19-2015 02:02 AM

Welcome. :)

Firstly, if I may be so crude, what's your budget and what level of experience do you have?
My decision was based on those two factors above. ;)

Good luck & Enjoy the fun.

Hoity 09-19-2015 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renovationinnov (Post 1363157)
jon
firstly welcome to the forum
second chev was the first choice that was to be fitted to a cobra
mine kit was price choice , cheap but most was basic so I had to build every thing from ground up , rebuild & re design most parts or build to suit what I wanted
its took 4 years from start to rego but I would do it again if my wife would let me
yes their are thing I,m still changing to suit myself now its regoed
some thing I built as test & am still using , now redesigning & evolving
hope this helps
rob

Thanks rob, i think the greatest virtue we need to build one is patience, and getting wifey on board.

Hoity 09-19-2015 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leroy17 (Post 1363158)
Welcome.

Don't get caught up in the ford/chev motor thing. When you are cruising down an open road, sitting in a little seat with the wind in your hair, the heat of the sun burning your head, and your heart skipping a beat with excitement driving a hot rod version of your childhood dream. You will not care if its ford, lexus, Chevy, viper of any other V8 (or v10). The fun is in the drive, never underestimate that.

If an outright build is a little daunting, go a rebuild or refurb. Plenty to enjoy and learn on the way, with one that has been registered, and trust me, you get plenty of opportunities to personalise it to how you like, address some past issues, and learn a whole lotta stuff you never knew before.

Whatever you do, don't just leave it as a dream, or someone's else's thing........ Make it yours.

Also, I work in a bank with numbers, a calculator and stuff, and at best would describe myself as a weekend remover and fitter, so if a bank Johnny can do it, I am sure you can.

I appreciate what you are saying leroy, I have enjoyed reading your rebuild thread. I think a new build is where I am at, I have always thought of the cobra as quintessentially ford. Was a little surprised to see so many chevs, then wondered was it a price, adr/rego or availability issue.

Hoity 09-19-2015 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveW (Post 1363192)
Hi Jon
I chose the Classic Revival for a few reasons after looking at all available Australian kits that were on the market 4 years ago, some have gone by the wayside now, or new owners, and also new players with very good product on the market.
I couldn't afford to outlay for a whole kit at the time, so a partial purchase was a priority, so all I wanted was a body and chassis to start with.
I liked the CR body shape the best, particularly from the side where the door area meets the rear guard.
I love the CR chassis, exceptionally well sorted and designed for modern available late model running gear.
The cost of build has been spread over time as i can afford to do bits, i don't owe a cent on it, and i'm able to do lots of bits myself instead of paying others to do it.
I've enjoyed the build cause that's what i like to do (enjoy the journey) and best of all ended up with several new mates with similar interests that make the struggle points way easier to solve.
Still itching to drive it though.
I would buy a CR kit again, but with a few custom tweaks.

Good luck
Dave

Thanks Dave, I have also enjoyed reading your build thread, your attention to detail is second to none. The CR is on my shortlist of manufactures and it's nice to hear current owner/builders happy with the CR offer. Is the CR only available with the chev or can a ford be fitted?
How have you found the support from CR given your in Vic?

Hoity 09-19-2015 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz (Post 1363202)
Hi Jon,

I built an RMC (Replica Motor Company) from Perth WA. I picked this body and chassis in 2007 because in had a really strong chassis with side intrusion protection. I spared no expense as you can see by my 'Gallery'. I removed the body from the chassis upon delivery and had the chassis measured up for squareness by laser technology. A successful build must be square. We found a few areas in the chassis which required adjustments. When all was correct, the chassis was powder coated and the build commenced. It took 2 years to complete and another two years to get engineered and passed for full street rego. It is a beautiful car and I love it, but if I was going again, I wouldn't go past a Pace 427. They would have to be the ultimate Cobra Kit anywhere on this planet. Good luck with your choice and welcome.

Baz

Thanks Baz, AP seem to be gathering quite a lot of momentum at the moment, with a product to back up the hype. I will have to investigate the PACE offer.

Hoity 09-19-2015 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SydneyChris (Post 1363206)
I've had the most atrocious experience with Classic Revival. Have also been in touch with a number of customers who were even more disgruntled than I was. Couldn't recommend more strongly that you look elsewhere.

While I bought an FFR Coupe recently, Ive seen a few of the latest PACE Cobras.. the quality of the build, engineering and technology with the pushrod suspension, box frame construction and cabin space is unparalleled. Do yourself a favour and have a look at these cars before you make any decision.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, is the issue product or people related. Would appreciate understanding your experience a little more. Pm me if you your happy enough to share.

Hoity 09-19-2015 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav (Post 1363217)
Not to mention a 'most authentic' winner too ;)

I like the CR's and would still buy one if I was to do it again.

I would fit a ford engine next time though, probably with a rope from the back to slow that Chevy down.

Thanks gav, why the ford next time, how have you found the support with CR?

Hoity 09-19-2015 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paintwerks (Post 1363219)
Jon,

Welcome aboard!

My desire to own a Cobra began when at about 20 years of age in 1991, I saw a Cobra do about a 150ft sideways powerslide down Brighton Road. My jaw just hit the ground. I've never fallen out of love since! ;)

Fast forward to 2002 and I was living in Detroit with my American wife, and I started look at building a Factory Five. I hung out with guys who had finished them, had just received them and also those who were mid-way through their builds. At the time, with the options I wanted, it was going to cost about USD$35-$40K. My wife asked me to wait stating that our finances would take too much of a hit. Not long after, I learned to fly instead (another bucket list item!).

In 2012, I was pretty much set to build a Harrison, but was told about the new Absolute Pace 427SC. All-aluminium semi-monocoque TIG welded chassis, carbon fibre and kevlar body (and a gorgeous body shape at that), lots of cabin space, true pin drive 'knock-off' wheels, Brembo brakes, all new parts and my choice of motor. I bit the bullet and ordered in October 2012, receiving (rolling) chassis #7 in December 2013. My lead time was longer than normal as they were still developing the car at the time. Current lead time is a lot shorter.

I wasn't too hung up on the Ford versus Chevy thing. After all, Shelby first approached Chevy for one of their small blocks, but they turned him down...and then he went to Ford. In 2012, the LS3 was the best value new motor at the time and I was going to put one into the car, but then in early 2013 I got a cracker deal on a new 585hp LSA (same motor in the VF HSV GTS). So, that's what I went with. When completed, the car will weigh approximately 1060kg ready to rock.

I've had great support from Pace with help on the build, plus as there are at least 8 of us building the car (that I personally know), we have each other for support/questions etc. This good for you as by the time you order and start building, our cars will be completed and you can ask us questions about our experiences. Also, the current build manual is very comprehensive with lots of pictures/diagrams and version 5 is soon to be released.

Due to a shortage of finances, I didn't commence building my car until about July 2-13. Apart from being a full rolling chassis with diff and suspension installed, I've installed the motor and trans (with a little help from my friends!), have the fuel, brake, pedal, handbrake, wiper and cooling systems all installed, heater fitted, seats mounted etc. I'm about to jump onto the wiring, and when my headers turn up, I'll be able to start the car.......... hopefully within a few months! Expected completion is early next year, with luck, she'll be all painted, trimmed and registered for the Grand Prix.

The engineer who is certifying the car is extremely impressed with absolutely everything about the car (cannot fault it), says it is over-engineered and there will be no issue with obtaining full street registration which is the way I am going.

I own a bodyshop and am a qualified painter so I am painting my particular car, but the Pace's gelcoat is so beautiful and such high quality that many are opting to not paint and just run the polished gelcoat. I cannot argue with that logic. This particular attribute on the Pace can save you over $10K if you can live without painting the car and don't need a metallic finish.

The only thing you really need to be able to stomach is the budget. A Pace comprehensive kit (less powertrain, wheels, exhaust and interior trimming) is approx $50K to join the club if you buy them at the same time, then you have approx. $13-20K for powertrain, $4-10K for trimming, $4-6K for wheels/tyres, ~$4-5K for engineering, testing and rego and then paint. And then there are the options like LSD, superstreet body, second roll hoop, carbon dash, side pipes, bigger wheels etc. You could easily spend $100K+ without blinking an eye on building a Pace. And that doesn't include one cent of your time!!!!!:D**):JEKYLHYDE

I think it's all worth it though!! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Cheers,
Sime

Thanks sime, great story and really happy to hear you making it happen. The Pace does seem to be ticking a lot of boxes.

Hoity 09-19-2015 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albanycobra (Post 1363220)
Check out Muzza's Pace kit in the for sale section.

Hey albanycobra, couldn't find it, went for a 100 ads, will anothe go later on.