Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Hmm drag cars hate corners (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/136816-hmm-drag-cars-hate-corners.html)

spookypt 06-27-2016 04:23 PM

Hmm drag cars hate corners

Why you wouldn't do this on a 1/4 mile track? when you run outta track it aint gonna turn - very well. Turns over pretty good though. What a good pair of arm restraints could do to.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRF-brflyk[/ame]

Gaz64 06-27-2016 06:22 PM

Well that's what happens when you build a rear engined V8, non handling chassis, slicks, front runners, 20/80 weight distribution.

All that weight in the rear just pulls you over.

Glad both of the boys are ok.

dallas_ 06-27-2016 07:20 PM

Driver is 80 now.
Glad to hear neither one of them got dinged up too bad.

keezling 06-27-2016 07:28 PM

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Leno got home lol! Wonder what car he slept in that nite?

Aussie Mike 06-27-2016 07:46 PM

Sad to see the Hemi under glass wrecked. I saw this car at the NHRA museum in LA a few years back. It's a famous wheelie exhibition car from back in the day.

Scary to see the arms waving about as it rolled over and no arm restraints or window net.

Cheers

Gav 06-27-2016 11:01 PM

Speaking from experience, I'd say Jay's wife would have been very happy with him not being hurt.
Very bad luck and it must have been devastating wrecking such an iconic car.

Ron61 06-28-2016 04:07 AM

I remember watching that car back when it was the big thing at our drag strips. Kind of sad to see that happen but glad that neither of them were hurt.

Ron

albanycobra 06-28-2016 05:32 AM

Crazy, glad they both walked away. I feel for the old Guy.

Rich A 06-28-2016 10:11 AM

He rolled it on purpose. **)

SydneyChris 06-29-2016 04:15 PM

hard to understand how its stable in a straight line if the COG is so high it rolls that easily...

Aussie Mike 06-29-2016 05:49 PM

They are designed to wheelstand. I believe some had differential braking on the rear wheels like a tractor to allow them to steer. i.e separate left and right brake pedals.

They were purely an exhibition vehicle.

Cheers

Bernica 06-29-2016 06:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that Jay and Riggles were both still in shock after the incident. Next couple of days after a wreck like that can hurt like hell!

I also watched that car at old race tracks when I was younger and loved it! He always did it flawlessly. :cool:

Bernica 06-29-2016 06:47 PM

Not trying to hijack this thread...

Same track I was black-flagged at for not listening to my spotter. I was pulled out of the car and had to do the "walk of shame" in front of the crowd and sent to NASCAR office to get my official "A$$ chewing". Then, they asked me to come back. So, how many guys did I pass? I was on fire and spotter was slow... that's my story.;);)

Trust me, not a long video.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Q5Xa3deBs[/ame]

Aussie Mike 06-30-2016 04:07 AM

I thought NASCAR was faster. Looks like you blokes are driving round the shopping center looking for a car park.
:p
Cheers

MOTORHEAD 06-30-2016 05:18 AM

I also think it was planned, otherwise, WHY ALL THE SPONSOR DECALS ON THE UNDERBELLY !!!!!!!!!??????????
Oh yea, nevermind!

ICCARS 07-06-2016 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Mike (Post 1396942)
They are designed to wheelstand. I believe some had differential braking on the rear wheels like a tractor to allow them to steer. i.e separate left and right brake pedals.

They were purely an exhibition vehicle.

Cheers

They were actually using it as a legit drag car, the wheelie thing was the spectacle but.
That said, the old guy was unlucky as you can see that he hit some undulations on the track when trying to pull this thing up and the weight of the engine in the back just made those tires bounce like tennis balls so he couldn't pull it up and had to turn or hit the barrier. Poor guy, so easy to make one mistake that leads to another and so on etc..

Bernica 07-06-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICCARS (Post 1397716)
They were actually using it as a legit drag car, the wheelie thing was the spectacle but.
That said, the old guy was unlucky as you can see that he hit some undulations on the track when trying to pull this thing up and the weight of the engine in the back just made those tires bounce like tennis balls so he couldn't pull it up and had to turn or hit the barrier. Poor guy, so easy to make one mistake that leads to another and so on etc..

Yup. Like trying to ride a unicycle with a blindfold on!:eek:

Jaydee 07-08-2016 05:48 AM

Try watching the video in slow mo. When he first started to turn, it looked like the barrier was close and in the background there is a opening in the wall and no signage. Then one shot whilst he rolling it, there is a speedway sign in the back ground and plenty of track that he could have driven straight on. Then after he rolled it with a long distance camera shot, there is no speedway sign on the wall? Its all a bit curious.
JD

deano59 07-12-2016 05:30 PM

wonder id leno offered to help pay for the rebuild .

Gaz64 07-12-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano59 (Post 1398533)
wonder id leno offered to help pay for the rebuild .

Just a bit of spare change for Leno.

The car might be in his workshop as we speak.