Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 02:49 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New cobra kit in nsw

I'm looking and trying to get as much information as possible because I want to build a new cobra kit and have it registered in nsw now a couple of questions

1. who is the better kit company to buy a kit from

2. how hard is it to get one engineered for nsw rego

3. is the cobra club doing a trip from the coast to mt Kosciuszko again as I would love to see the cars and show them to my wife as they drive throu jindabyne and maybe meet some onwers and get some good ideas off them
Old 02-08-2017, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Welcome Shanus,

Plenty of good info on here about various kits available.
Rego seems to be tough in NSW at the moment but may ease up in time.
Look at ones for sale already with rego and change to suit later.
Come down to Canberra one weekend and have a look at the ones here. I can organize a get together at my place with the club and talk kits and sit you in one for a squirt to wet the appetite.
There are options.

Cheers
Brett
Old 02-08-2017, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Welcome Shanus

If the link below doesn't work, go back 0ne page and check the thread named Best Cobra Kit Car to Purchase. doesn't answer all your questions but it will be a good start.

Best Cobra Kit Car to Purchase
SydneyChris likes this.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Make sure you talk to as many owners\builders as you can and do your research. Also, do not trust everything written down on a forum as being an accurate representation of a particular kit or company.

I have Classic Revival and it is a very good kit. They are in Central Coast area NSW. The current chassis is even better. I like the look of the ICCARS chassis and the pricing is very competitive as well (see the thread Dave referenced).

As BJ said, a roughish and registered completed car would probably be a good option. Strip it down and rebuild. I reckon I could disassemble mine completely in a day or 2.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison , 5lt Ford . FF GTM 6LT GMH
Not Ranked     
Default new cobra kit

I was asked about a new kit by a mate and after making two suggestions he spoke to and looked over AP and CR kits he has placed an order with CR as he feels it is a better deal overall even though he lives in Queensland .
Old 02-09-2017, 02:28 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for all your information
I look forward to learning more and more as I work out what I'm exactly what I'm after

I would be very happy to find a free day to take my soon to be wife to Canberra where she could see some up close and maybe sit in one or two to make sure she is keen to have one as well.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Your choice of kit also depends on how important body shape is to you. Even though they all generally 'look' like a Cobra, every single kit has a different body shape. I chose the Pace because to me, it had the most authentic look. Others were too narrow, some had a dropped/tucked butt, others a 'perky' butt, some a 'broken back', others not enough flare on the rear wheel arch etc.

Do you want a 427SC or a 289 Slabside?

If body shape is important in your choice, then you need to carefully look at the kit. In terms of the most accurate 427SC shape, you have Kirkham, Absolute Pace and Superformance. There might be others too, but these three are top of mind for me.

There was a image that somebody posted a few years ago that had the side profiles of all the different Cobra replica offerings. That made it really easy to see the differences. Does anybody have it and can post it here?

The other thing that may matter is frame design. Some have original style frames/chassis, and others not. The Pace is about as far removed as you can get to an original chassis design, but it is a newer, stronger, more rigid design. Body shape was more important to me anyway so that's what led my choice.

Cheers,
Sime
Old 02-09-2017, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Searching is your friend......

As above or buy a NSW registered Robnell and change it to your liking. Build it like Stef Greco's and live happy ever after.

Heartache on rego compliance and all the rest sorted and you see what you get. And as far as shape goes......you be the judge.

Betting still, buy a LVC Robnell and your in an even better place.

Go to Cobra Car Club of NSW : Cobra Car Club of NSW and scroll to the bottom of page and then clink on cobra shape comparison. Ralph and I did this at the nats a few years ago.

Research this list....
2015 List of Cobra/GT40/Daytona Manufacturers in OZ - Please add

You say you want to build and rego? I'd be dropping into a NSW Cobra Car Club meeting and chew the fat with a few of the crew there.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2017, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh and lastly, as you will find, there's quite a bit of angst among Australian Cobra owners at the minute. More than I can ever remember and Im sure everyone hopes it sorts itself out in a positive fashion soon.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiecoupe View Post
I was asked about a new kit by a mate and after making two suggestions he spoke to and looked over AP and CR kits he has placed an order with CR as he feels it is a better deal overall even though he lives in Queensland .
Havent sold the GTM yet?
Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The GTM is still up for sale . But no problems I will just have to drive it around when not on the road with our caravan . Its draws crowds where ever I go . Just like Cobras
Old 02-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Snake View Post
Welcome Shanus,

Plenty of good info on here about various kits available.
Rego seems to be tough in NSW at the moment but may ease up in time.
Look at ones for sale already with rego and change to suit later.
Come down to Canberra one weekend and have a look at the ones here. I can organize a get together at my place with the club and talk kits and sit you in one for a squirt to wet the appetite.
There are options.

Cheers
Brett
What would be the best way to contact you when I have a free weekend or Sunday to visit Canberra
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiecoupe View Post
The GTM is still up for sale . But no problems I will just have to drive it around when not on the road with our caravan . Its draws crowds where ever I go . Just like Cobras
Hey Warwick, are "Harrisons" still being made?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No is the answer . After selling the business to some one I thought was a good fabricator and operator he failed and lets say did not deliver the goods . I took the moulds back due to money owing . Just caravanning around and helping Cobra guys out who may need a hand .
boxhead, schipps and Cobra72 like this.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a shame Warwick, you made a beautiful kit and the way things look to be heading I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than enough room for another player soon.
boxhead likes this.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Try Wil from IC Cars.....I used his kit and was very happy...I'll try and post a build thread when I get some time....might be worth a look.
ICCARS likes this.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force, Motorsport Boss 302 (LPG).
Not Ranked     

My Car is NSW Engineered - For Sale - 2002 GForce Mk1 AC Cobra I.C.V.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Try Wil from IC Cars.....I used his kit and was very happy...I'll try and post a build thread when I get some time....might be worth a look.
We'd all be keen to see a build thread on one of Wil's cars Anthony.

What I'd really like to see would be a build thread on a more extreme IC Cobra. We're hampered by restrictive government regulations I know, but Wil seems prepared to push the envelope. Already I see the seeds of IC developing into the Australian equivalent of Richard Hudgins' incredibly desirable JBL creations in the US, where the high production approach is put aside in favour of building fewer cars, but featuring advanced engineering, and where thinking outside the box is the norm.
Cobra72 and ICCARS like this.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Hey Don,

thanks for the kind words mate, I really want to start to show you guys my AWD AC Cobra build but every time I think I get a break in the "weather" so as to speak, I get another order for another Cobra build and I am currently fixing up a friends GT40 as he had it built in Adelaide by someone and there was sooo many things wrong with it including the engine balance etc.. So Have a lot on my plate, but I will get there I promise. At least I have stopped mucking around with my GT40.. Except for this little picture on the rear windscreen..

Cheers
Attached Images

Cobra72 and AnthonyS like this.

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 02-24-2017, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
We'd all be keen to see a build thread on one of Wil's cars Anthony.

What I'd really like to see would be a build thread on a more extreme IC Cobra. We're hampered by restrictive government regulations I know, but Wil seems prepared to push the envelope. Already I see the seeds of IC developing into the Australian equivalent of Richard Hudgins' incredibly desirable JBL creations in the US, where the high production approach is put aside in favour of building fewer cars, but featuring advanced engineering, and where thinking outside the box is the norm.
Hi Don, I created a build thread last week "IC Cars build" take a look see what you think? Thanks Anthony

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: