Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ICCARS
  • 1 Post By Dimis
  • 1 Post By BMK

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2017, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     
Default Moving interstate.

At the moment I'm living in Adelaide and my Wife got a great job working for the State Government of Victoria. So we have to move to Swan Hill next Friday the 24th of February. My CR is finished and my engineer is trying to finish his report and then hopefully I can book a inspection to have it registered. Then once it's registered I need to transfer it all to Victorian rego. So my question is, Do I use his report and have it inspected fully in Victoria, Rego it here then transfer it. Pass the inspection, not rego it and then rego it in Victoria?
Does it need to be an engineer from Victoria if I get it inspected there. And would I need to go to Melbourne for the inspection. And if I did rego it here first, how much hassle to change it to Victorian rego. It's really stressing me out as I'm loading up a 40 foot shipping container in my front yard with 40 years of shed stuff, trying to leave room in it for the Cobra etc etc etc.
Thanks for any advise given.
JD
Old 02-18-2017, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Hey Jaydee,

I am currently in the process of building an ICCARS AC Cobra for a melbourne customer and we will be getting the full compliance side of things sorted here in S.A. then the new owner will be able to do a "mechanical inspection" in a licensed garage over in Victoria and do the transfer into his name etc.. He will not have to go through Vic roads to get his car registered there.

The only issue you may have is if you have used an older engine such as a windsor V8 then you may run into trouble, as they are not allowing windsor's for compliance in Victoria other than through an IM 240 emission cycle test. Check this with your engineer but if you have a later model engine such as a BF Boss modular V8 motor or LSA engine then get it complied here prior to going to Vic.

Hope this helps.

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 02-18-2017, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hey Jaydee,

I'd give one of the VASS engineers a call and get their opinion too. Enkelmans have done a few CR's (Square tube and round tube) and they should be able to tell you. They also have a lot of the chassis engineering reports on file too.

The IM240 is completed on all ICV's regardless of engine vintage I believe.

Also, we have the Club Permit system here in VIC too which is also an option for you.

cheers Gregg
Old 02-18-2017, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkrv8 View Post
Hey Jaydee,

The IM240 is completed on all ICV's regardless of engine vintage I believe.

cheers Gregg
Hey Gregg,

in South Australia you do not need to do the IM 240 test as if you have a compliant engine to Euro 2+ spec and maintain the std ECU to run the engine plus the right cats and exhaust system you comply and do not need to do an emission cycle test just an idle emission test at a registered and approved garage.
Cheers

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 02-18-2017 at 02:44 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Would not a car that has been engineered and provided a VIN number be easier to move between States regardless of the moronic bureaucratic variances in requirements?

Getting rego in SA, the car then has some sort of compliance history which the paper pushers seems far more comfortable to work with as simple administrative change, over a brand new rego incorporating VASS issues.

Would be worth a call to an Enklemans or equivalent VASS engineer here just to confirm what issues in change over might be struck.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Tom Bullock is your contact at Enkelman. He engineered my Pace for full registration and he was great to deal with.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICCARS View Post
Hey Gregg,

in South Australia you do not need to do the IM 240 test as if you have a compliant engine to Euro 2+ spec and maintain the std ECU to run the engine plus the right cats and exhaust system you comply and do not need to do an emission cycle test just an idle emission test at a registered and approved garage.
Cheers
Hi Wil,

That was the case up to about 6-8 years ago, as that was how my LS1 ICV Cobra was assessed. I think they changed it because of the challenges of being assured that the ECU is "Stock", Cats are new - not old etc etc. The IM240 removes all doubt I suppose as they now don't care what you have as long as is passes their test.

Best guys to ask as Slowy and Paintworks said are the VASS engineers. They do this everyday.

cheers

Gregg
Old 02-19-2017, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I've been through the IM 240 test as I have a Windsor running LPG. I fitted late model cats and with some tuning we got the emission in range. I'm not sure how long between getting the nod from the engineer to booking a test takes. I will try to stay in SA and pass it. But if it fails first time then I'm not sure how long I have to wait for a second test. How many of you guys have past the first time round? How stringent is the test. I have no idea what to expect. I know they just need to rev it to 3300 to check the noise.
JD
Old 02-19-2017, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, 3211,6.2,TKO600
Not Ranked     

G'day JD,
Last year I transferred my cobra from NSW to VIC Registration. From what I recall I needed proof of ownership, Victorian roadworthy certificate. I also had the NSW compliance certificate. If it hasn't been register for 12 months in another state I'm not sure if this might be a problem. Check out the regulations on the Vicroads website Individually Constructed Vehicles. This sight will be of some help. Mark
Old 02-19-2017, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
I've been through the IM 240 test as I have a Windsor running LPG. I fitted late model cats and with some tuning we got the emission in range. I'm not sure how long between getting the nod from the engineer to booking a test takes. I will try to stay in SA and pass it. But if it fails first time then I'm not sure how long I have to wait for a second test. How many of you guys have past the first time round? How stringent is the test. I have no idea what to expect. I know they just need to rev it to 3300 to check the noise.
JD
Hey mate,

passing the car here in S.A. is a good idea IMHO and if your car is built nice and tidy with all of the requirements in the "Statement of Requirements" fulfilled then you should be fine (just check over those and double check against your car build) - passed my GT40 first go and Anthony's AC Cobra passed first go even with those big wide wheels on it LOL... I was always told that they will pick something just to be pricks, but that wasn't true, they just hate being lied to; like most people I guess.

Just don't bullsh@t the inspector and always tell him the truth and he will work with you not against you..
Good luck with it mate.
Jaydee and cg514 like this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 02-19-2017, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Are you the owner of 'The Orphan' Owell?