Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2017, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     
Default Bolwell Mk7 - the enemy within!

In early January 2017, with the 250 GTO project winding up, (see here) I started finding myself at a loose end. I asked around if anyone had a suitable project they might consider selling.

Someone suggested I consider a Bolwell and it started to register with me right away. Like most folks I was aware of the Nagari – Mk8 (1970-1974) but had no other knowledge of the brand. A search of the NSW Bolwell Club web site listed a few cars for sale and introduced me to the Bolwell Mk7 (1967-1971). Basically an earlier, mostly 6 cylinder engined, version of the Nagari. What was encouraging for me was that most ads were for cars in ‘project form’, that is, unfinished cars. Bolwell sold the Mk7 as a chassis and bodywork and the rest was up to the home builder. Approximately 400 kits were sold but it is believed only around 160 were finished and registered.

Unfortunately I discovered the ads were quite old and the cars had been moved on some time ago. I had however met a leading figure in the NSW Bolwell Club, a few months earlier through another motoring associate. I gave him a call to say I was on the lookout for a Mk7 project.

In only a matter of days I got a call to say a car was for sale in a suburb not far from me. I made contact with the seller and I went to have a look. My research suggested a good complete car was worth around $#### so I was a bit taken aback when, considering the state of the car, the seller wanted half that. I’m afraid I let my emotions get to me and made what I now know was a very high offer, thankfully it was refused.

I was in no real rush really but I was phoned again only a few weeks later with news that yet another ‘project’ Mk7 was available, this time at Tuggerah – about 100 km away. I drove there the following week and thought the car had real potential. Enticingly the seller wanted $#k and after a quick consultation we decided to offer $#k. He snapped it up. Damn… should have offered $#k!

It was another week before I arranged to have the car trailered home. I followed with a box trailer loaded with associated bits and pieces, including an extra engine.

I had used the previous week to create shed space behind the GTO but there was only room for one car. The Bolwell consist of a fibreglass body on top of a separate steel chassis, effectively requiring two car spaces during a build-rebuild. Plan ‘A’ was to store the bodywork under the rear patio while I first prepared the chassis and running gear.

The car was delivered to a front carport with the intention of quickly separating the body from the chassis and moving them to their designated locations. Unfortunate nature decided to drench Sydney just about every day for the next month (March 2017) and the project basically laid dormant under a tarpaulin during that period.

I did spend some time on the internet making contact with fellow Mk7 owners and restorers and learning a little about the task which lay ahead for me.

One previous owner of my car had installed a V6 Holden engine. The chap I purchased the car from had planned to swap the V6 for a straight six Holden engine and that motor was supplied with the car.

From the documentation supplied with the car I was only able to trace the ownership, through three pairs of hands, back until 1983. Considering the previous two owners had the car for 19 year and 15 year periods the likelihood is the owner up until 1983 owned it from new.

It seems as though the car was modified by the various owners to the trends prevalent in their period of ownership. Changes include flared guards with wider wheels and a bigger engine. My thoughts at this stage are to build the car as it would have (should have) been built in the period it was produced by Bolwell, i.e. 1967 – 1970.

deano59, Tenrocca, xb-60 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by PeterAllen; 05-20-2017 at 06:01 PM..
Old 05-20-2017, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cant believe you are going around again Peter.. good luck.. am sure it will look spectacular also..

What are you going to do with your GTO..?

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 05-21-2017, 12:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyChris View Post
What are you going to do with your GTO..?
Drive it.

For me about 70% of the enjoyment comes from creating these cars and 30% driving them. The trouble is you can't do both at the same time.

Now I'm in the delightful position of having one to drive and one to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
whats the front end on it ?looks like hi ace or similar
They had HR front ends in the day but most, like mine, swapped to Torana RTS.
deano59, guye, Rob. Smith and 1 others like this.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Cool project. I'm a fan of these.

There were a few with Ford V8s installed from memory. I reckon a late model Ford Barra 6 would be a great motor in one of these.

Cheers

Mike

Old 05-21-2017, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, this will be a nostalgia build, i.e. as it was when first built - a 186 with triple webers.

Last edited by PeterAllen; 05-21-2017 at 05:59 AM..
Old 05-21-2017, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't be able to resist a twin cam 6 cyl. Give it that exotic feel
Old 05-21-2017, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David. I'm after a 60s style build and I don't want the engineering hassles with a more contemporary drivetrain. It was engineered for the Holden (Buick) V6 upgrade but never registered in that configuration, so taking it back to its original straight 6 set up should be easier.

I'm trying to retain the V6's t5 gearbox but it involves quite a bit of engine bay work.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAllen View Post
Mike, this will be a nostalgia build, i.e. as it was when first built - a 186 with triple webers.
I agree....a 186 with triple DCOEs.....or LC XU1 spec with triple Zenith/Strombergs.

What a great project Peter! The Mk 7 is arguably as good looking as the Nagari.
If you're going with the correct engine, why not take the easier route and use the correct gearbox?

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-21-2017, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Peter.. Ive studied this car a little in the past.. if you are doing a tear down and rebuild you would be well served to look at structurally upgrading the chassis. Its torsional rigidity and front end geometry could do with marked improvements for that 30% of the time...

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 05-21-2017, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen. I'm going with the t5 because the car came with a low mileage box and the mounts, etc, have been set up for it. It pushes the engine further forward than the standard box and while that is something of a negative issue for handling, it creates improved clearance between the rocker cover and the firewall. Have a look at some standard installations and you'll see that's a terrible problem.

Chris. Yes, that is quite a known issue but on mine it has been largely addressed by a previous owner.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes sounds like a no-brainer to go with the T5

edit: If you squint a little, you could almost argue that AM used the Mk 7 shape as inspiration for its DB7 (which followed three decades later)

Last edited by xb-60; 05-21-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Old 05-21-2017, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAllen View Post
David. I'm after a 60s style build and I don't want the engineering hassles with a more contemporary drivetrain. It was engineered for the Holden (Buick) V6 upgrade but never registered in that configuration, so taking it back to its original straight 6 set up should be easier.

I'm trying to retain the V6's t5 gearbox but it involves quite a bit of engine bay work.
Pete, I was referring to something like an early 80's Toyota 5M-GE twin cam straight six found in Supra, Cressida and Crowns. They were injected however I'm sure a triple manifold of some sort could be sourced. There would be minimal pollution controls and you could use the strong Supra 5sp box without adapting. Food for thought

Nice cantered valve covers give a real exotic look that suits the body style

Jaydee likes this.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kenmer with Ford Quad Cam Boss 260
Not Ranked     

Nice pick up Peter.
I know you said it will be a nostalgia build but, I have seen a mod that I think is very practical. That is converting the fixed rear window to a hatch. Allows easy access to the small area behind the seats for some shopping etc.
Enjoy your project

Doug
Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry David, just not enough nostalgia.

THIS IS NOSTALGIA!

Doug. Thanks, I've already been told about that one. It seems like a very practical option. At this stage I think I'll just go with an opening window rather that a full hatch.

The cabins are like a sauna so I'm looking at hinged rear quarter windows like early Cortinas.

Body work is probably a couple of years away.
deano59, LoBelly, Gav and 3 others like this.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very nice.....looks like it qualifies as 'front-mid'
Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Peter, I knew I had an article on this and went through my stash of old mags. I don't have a big stash, I have just kept or picked up stuff that interested me - mostly Cobra but a few others.

I have the whole article copied if you want it. I could post here or send it in PDF to your e-mail. PM it to me if you want. The PDF will read better as I won't have to resize it.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks David but I've already bought that copy of SCW off eBay.

750hp, guye, LoBelly and 4 others like this.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good find Peter. Now the dust of awe has settled and given the current state of rego rediculism, I find myself with some curiosity.
Are you concerned about getting it registered when restored?
I have let my cobra lapse for some years and hope its a straight forward process to re-register. I'm interesting how the authorities regard a vehicle from a low volume manufacturer.
I certainly hope you are able to achieve your nostalgia build the way it should be.

Last edited by David Hodgson; 05-24-2017 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2017, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David. I did the research and checking before buying the car. My only concern is that the rules might change before I have it finished. There is an assumption in there that the car will be finished!
Old 05-23-2017, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Damn Q Club dodgy internet...

I did write two days ago that the red six with triple anything takes me back...

firstly Richmond TAFE days circa 1977 and a fellow apprentice's hot FX / FJ and then later at my main REPCO role with another work colleague's hot XU-1.

Both made my standard red 149 powered EH pretty lame - lol

I can say that I too have looked at the Bolwell marque as an opportunity for something alternate!

I will watch the build with interest!

And yes does this car somehow qualify in another category other than ICV?

Did Bolwell achieve low build compliance or some other form of recognition for the car range in terms of registration?

Last edited by stephen low; 05-23-2017 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: oops underpowered the red number!