Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Slideorama
  • 1 Post By Rog246
  • 1 Post By stephen low

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2017, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Radiator caps

Guys

Are there good and bad branded radiator caps out there?

If so what is a good brand and one I should be targeting?

I'm not so sure that my current cap is sealing well as I think I am getting a slow loss of coolant over time and wonder if a poor sealing cap is the culprit.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 09-17-2017, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, Ford, Tremec, Dana
Not Ranked     

Try a stant lever cap if you can find one. They are available in different psi ratings if required - https://www.pwr.com.au/portfolio/radiator-caps
Rog246 likes this.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Very hard to go past Stant caps
Slideorama likes this.

Harrison #100
Old 09-17-2017, 03:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Steve,

I agree with the above. I have always used Stant caps on all of my cars. Do you have an overflow catch can? If not you could be losing small amounts out the overflow on your radiator neck.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 09-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Steve,

I just completed several cooling system upgrades and also went with a Stant cap. I spent a couple more bucks for their Performance series cap (with lever). The Performance series offered the following benefit as described on Summit's site (for my part 18330), which made sense to get if it really does that:

"Stant Performance Lev-R-Vent radiator caps feature a more precise pressure valve that has a 25 to 50 percent narrower range of pressure than those on standard OEM or aftermarket caps. These caps feature a Lev-R-Vent, which harmlessly vents pressure through the overflow tube before you remove the caps."

As far as a possible sealing issue, there are several threads discussing shape/condition of mating surface you may want to verify for tips. Also, if using any silicone hose, during my research it appeared those allow some evaporation to happen (have pros/cons).

I have a expansion/recovery tank and an overflow tank. With those, you may find excess in the overflow tank, obviously. Also, if the expansion/recovery tank is filled over the fill line (mine a brass inner baffle about half way up to fill to). If overfilled, upon expansion it will overflow, whether to an overflow tank or to atmoshpere, however you have it setup. If that's the case, you may find if set to the proper (lower) fill level, then you may experience no such loss.

By the way, while I changed many variables on mine and can't isolate improvements to the cap per se, my system is working very well now, and the cap seems to be doing its job just fine.

Best of luck with it. Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 09-17-2017 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Correct spelling of silicone
Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like using a radiator cap with a zinc sacrificial anode. racewayparts.com product number Z17700 16 lbs. cap for $34.55. What sold me was the first time, I took off the cap and saw all the salts and dissolved anode. I use nothing but distilled water and antifreeze but remember all the different metals in your system can cause an electrical charge in your coolent even with a grounded system.

Bill K
Old 09-18-2017, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

So I look up Stant and a seller in OZ and PWR come up great.

$29 for the cap (if collected from the Qld office) and they want $49.50 for postage. They must all wear balaclavas to work me thinks...

For a small item an AP bagged item would be maybe $12 - $15 postage, so they are rip off merchants.

Any Victorian sellers anyone knows of?
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, Ford, Tremec, Dana
Not Ranked     

Slowly - try eBay - a quick search turned up a couple of suppliers with stock, one in Fairfield and one in Dandenong. Might be worth sending them a message on eBay and seeing if you can drive down and pick one up.

If you can wait - they are like $6 on summit plus shipping!
Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Steve,

Well you're probably well ahead on this, mentioning just in case. There are one way (non-recovery) and two way (recovery) caps, depending how your system is designed. The two way have the upper and lower rubber gasket/seal. Also, you likely know, but the pressure rating is important for the application. If too low a rating for example, it would release earlier than otherwise designed and perhaps a reason for losing fluid prior. Lots of cap difference/feature information on web searches if needed. Brent
Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys

Ebay was no use as the model I want is only currently available from OS providers, so Summit it was.

A $7 part with $30 freight, all USD of course, but still cheaper than the Queensland option.

I could have asked for help locally purchasing and sending more normal Ozpost but that would still only have been $20 cheaper in total.

I can wait a week and the hardest part was dragging my credit card out of the wallet.

So thanks all.

It also led to discovering my radiator's rated pressure, fortunately about the same as the current cap's rating of about 16 - 17 PSI.

The Stant 16 PSI lever model fits that bill well.

We will see what difference this makes over time.

Cheers Chaps
Old 09-19-2017, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

At the company I retired from, we used to go over the revenue numbers at monthly staff meetings. One of the line items was 'Freight Revenue', LOL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: