Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2017, 12:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Vic rego transfer to NSW

Hi all, I have put a deposit on a cobra in Vic which I am very excited about but all of the rego pitfalls are starting to make me question my decision. The car is not a new build and has been registered in Vic for years. Can I simply get a blue slip in NSW and be happy? Or are they going to drag me through the wringer trying to get rego?
Thanks all
Jason
Old 11-17-2017, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     
Wink

And now the $64,000 dollar question, as the game show used to go. Unfortunately I cant say as I am in Sth Oz. I can tell you the subject is covered in Vehicle Standards bulletin 14 National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (VSB 14).
The copy I have is Version 2.0 -1 January 2011 and runs to 7 pages. In the Preface, P3/7 para 2 "The underlying principals governing this document are in accordance with the national transport reform process that seeks to reduce barriers to trade and inconvenience to both industry and the public in the operation and registration of vehicles across Australian State and Territory borders.
Now here is the prize question!!!!!
Para 6 reads " However its adoption as an integral part of the registration process is the individual responsibility of the Registration Authority of each jurisdiction.
In Notice to Users of VSB 14 page 5/7 you will find all the if and buts regarding, policy, acceptance legislation, changes modification etc etc.
Not sure any of that is a help, as I think you would have more going for you if you wanted a same sex marriage at the moment rather than equal treatment on rego issues between the states. Maybe we could have a national postal vote on the subject?
gjkrv8 likes this.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interested to follow this one... !!! NSW has had moving goal posts for the past couple of years.

Had a mates Cobra knocked back a few weeks ago after inspection #3 for not having locking washers on the starter motor bolts, even though the factory spec was a flat washer and a specified torque setting. Wonder how long it took them to think of that one.. !

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 11-17-2017, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Vic rego

Hi Chris, was that on a new build or transfer from another state?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Transfer is different to new rego. Different department. Getting a VIN is the hard part.
Best to talk to a NSW engineering signatory. Provided compliance paperwork is up to scratch should be ok.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the purchase. Welcome to the site and good luck with your acquisition.

I’ve never done it into NSW, but my experience has been if the car has a VIN and it’s been registered before, and has a road worthy, I can’t imagine they have a legal leg to stand on to deny your application for registration.

The fact it’s a cobra is irrelevant.

Seriously disappointing state of affairs, that you’re being placed under such stress.

Best wishes
Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the support of the forum, I am at the point of considering whether or not to forfeit my deposit or press on with the purchase? Not an ideal situation considering this is my dream car
Old 11-18-2017, 01:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Rather than speculate, why don't you simply call NSW Roads and Maritime and ask them directly?
boxhead and MWG like this.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonw66 View Post
Hi Chris, was that on a new build or transfer from another state?
Was a new build mate.

Re the transfer question, my understanding (which may be worth zip) was the the process in this instance was based on the type of rego the car had / has in Vic.. pretty much consistent with Dimis view, if it had full rego.

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 11-19-2017, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

Just a note on when i sold my Vic rego cobra to a bloke in NSW.
Apparently it had to be re-engineered as they did not recognise the Victorian engineering certificate.
Ridiculous as an engineering qualification is recognised Australia wide not just in one state.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi all, I contacted the tech assistance at roads and maritime today and as dhs Buckley stated, NSW does not recognise anyone else in Australia, WOW......what an over regulated state we live in.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi all, I contacted the tech assistance at roads and maritime today and as dhs Buckley stated, NSW does not recognise anyone else in Australia, WOW......what an over regulated state we live in.
Maybe not worth the price of this car (and I bet they’re banking on no one taking it on vs the cost of re-engineering), but there’s no doubt a law suit waiting in that. Federal law would out rank nsw state law. A VIN is nationally recognised.
I love to hear how they handle import cars with a VIN & ADR plates attached?
Old 11-24-2017, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Job justification programs continue for the RMS.... is certainly not a balanced state of affairs at the moment in NSW.
Rob. Smith likes this.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs.buckley View Post
Just a note on when i sold my Vic rego cobra to a bloke in NSW.
Apparently it had to be re-engineered as they did not recognise the Victorian engineering certificate.
Ridiculous as an engineering qualification is recognised Australia wide not just in one state.
Do you know how he got on with the 're-engineering'
Was it an assessment against the rules that prevailed at the time your (old) cobra was originally built?

ta
LB
Old 11-26-2017, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
Do you know how he got on with the 're-engineering'
Was it an assessment against the rules that prevailed at the time your (old) cobra was originally built?

ta
LB
Yes it was all good, and is now fully regoed in NSW.
I assume he gave the Vic engineers report that i had to the NSW engineer and he probably just fixed a couple of little issues that differ from state to state.
the car was built in 1997 so a couple of issues with carbies and cats i think. ( re-jet the carb and timing to meet emissions )
also reverse lights and no high mount brake light.

Last edited by dhs.buckley; 11-26-2017 at 03:04 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Contact Treeve...
Old 12-03-2017, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Gents,

Many of you are off to the wrong track with the comments here. It's definitely a state by state registration thing, and nothing to do with Federal regs. The VINs are actually issued by the VINs department of the RMS who run the NEVDIS register for the entire country - so although it's a Federal thing it's administered by a single state.

In terms of registration, ICVs in any state and territory are never considered fully ADR compliant, and hence have no conformity of production documentation and hence are not covered by the Federal legislation. They are registered state by state under each state's registration legislation. Just because it has a VIN means nothing for whether it is legally able to be registered. Take the brake callipers off your Ford Falcon. It's got a VIN - but should it be registered? Clearly not. Little modifications by owners (OK, taking your brakes off is a bit more than a 'little modification', but it gets the idea across that many modifications affect the legality of the vehicle) and differences in legislation state by state for this is why this situation exists.

Treeve
just dreamin and SydneyChris like this.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good summary.. thanks for chipping in Treeve.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

So what transpired with the purchase did you go ahead?

Pictures??
Old 12-15-2017, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Purchase of car

Hi Slowy, we did end up purchasing the car. My wife an I towed a trailer to Melbourne from Newcastle. We left on the Friday morning, stayed in Melbourne overnight and came home Saturday, it was long couple of days that is for sure.

The car was pretty well priced so, even though it requires a fair bit of work and an engineering certificate in NSW, we took it anyway.

I will take a couple of photos and upload

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: