Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Some advice for rego please(Qld) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/140879-some-advice-rego-please-qld.html)

Marlox 05-05-2018 03:57 AM

Some advice for rego please(Qld)

Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing a drb cobra in Victoria and registering it in Qld. It was built in 96, and has engineering paperwork to go with it. It is currently on club rego but had never been registered prior. The paperwork with the car has a vin # but I don't believe there are any plates. What do I need to do to get it rego in Qld? I know there's probably a lot more info you need, and I can try to find out more if needed.
Thanks guys
Phil

Donunder 05-06-2018 06:41 AM

Phil, 100 views and no replies would seem to indicate the complexity of what you're asking. The compliancing and registering of Cobras between the states is a minefield. What is accepted in one state may not get a look in in another. Cars are always popping up in Qld. Suggest you try here first.

Marlox 05-06-2018 07:53 AM

Thanks Don,I guess that's where the question was also leading. If anyone has had experience with this how hard was it and what changes were required? Totally agree with trying to stick to QLD if it makes it easier, but it does limit options severely with the money I have to play with.

Wazza 05-06-2018 06:41 PM

I'd also look at the possibility , and what's required to keep the car using "Victorian Historic rego"
I've got a feeling that it doesn't stop you from driving the car anywhere in Australia under Vic Historic Rego.
Maybe I'm wrong..and it can't be done....but that would be a lot cheaper than the annual rego cost in Queensland ( around $1,100-00)
Worth asking how you'd make it happen though.
Cheers,
Warren

xb-60 05-06-2018 08:03 PM

If you kept a car on Victorian Historic registration, I think it would have to be garaged in Victoria, and you would have to be a member of a car club in Victoria, and you would need to have a Victorian address.
Unless you want to move to Victoria....you couldn't keep it on Victorian Historic rego.
Looking for a Queensland registered car seems like the least-pain route.

Cheers,
Glen

Marlox 05-06-2018 09:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think Glen is spot on. The club rego is non transferable so I would need to do all the things Glen has mentioned. I just find it ridiculous that although this cobra has all the engineering paperwork, a vin number and is currently on club rego that because it's going to a different state it can possibly be an expensive garden gnome. When you guys have completed a build, what do you need to present to to get it registered in Qld, and does that same process apply to what I'm wanting to do?
Thanks
Phil

xb-60 05-06-2018 10:01 PM

Phil, if the "engineering paperwork" is complete, it should have certification and compliance documentation put together by a qualified and accredited compliance engineer. The engineer's qualifications would be recognised Australia-wide. If you can sight copies of this documentation, you should then be able to track down and talk to the engineer. He's the guy who would be best qualified to advise you of how to proceed.

Good luck.

Glen

spookypt 05-06-2018 11:40 PM

Or as part of the deal get the owner of the car to transfer into standard rego. You then bring car up into qld, get RWC and go to qld transport and simply pay your stamp duty and qld rego and you’re done. Then you can send a credit request to the vic rego mob and get a portion of the rego back. If it gets full rego in vic then won’t be an issue here. I did exactly that 4 years ago without an issue. Even had qld transport quote me a job number of our recorded convo in case I had an issue at the local qt office. As long as it’s fully regod in vic with a vin then only a matter of RWC up here and you should be sweet.

My coupe was full rego in vic and now qld and is a cams log booked 2 b car. Do your research but if the seller can get it on full rego and you want it that bad it’s possible.

renovationinnov 05-06-2018 11:49 PM

hi marlox
ive contacted my certifier & he said its only paper shuffle but the more he supplies you the easier it is to do pm me & ill pass on his contact details to you & phone him direct
rob

Marlox 05-07-2018 01:56 AM

Guys that's all very sound and sensible advice, thank you very much. The full Vic rego route sounds like the least pain, so I'll see how that goes. Thanks again guys, I was sure there has to be a way but no one I had talked to had actually been down this path. Hopefully I'll have some photos to share if all goes well��

spookypt 05-07-2018 04:20 PM

Its no different to bringing into QLD from Vic a Ford Focus. As long as its got full rego and a vin then the process is the same. Remember though IT MUST pass a QLD RWC.
*(Traps there) Club rego Id assume would be different.

Also, you may find, depending on the car that it was originally rego'd up here. With a lot of builders being up here long ago you never know QT might have a history of it. If you post a pic some may know its lineage.

dhs.buckley 05-07-2018 05:40 PM

There is no difference in what is required in Vic for club/historic plates or standard plates.
The car still has to go through the full vic rego process to get historic plates a full roadworthy, so no difference apart from you cant transfer the plates because they are registered to the car club you belong to.
mind you its only $136 per year for 90 days use anytime in the 12 month period.
Also you must remain a financial member of the club for this to remain otherwise like driving an unregistered car.

boxhead 05-07-2018 11:14 PM

I would follow the advise of Spook (not sure I have said that before).
I have a car build and complainced in the NT, I did go full rego first so the car is on the system in the NT.
Later this year I am relocating to South Australia, I have been advised to put the car on full rego before moving, then it is a simple case of transferring to SA rego (seems a little too easy to me but does make sense that it should be treated no different to a Falcon or Commodore)
So in theory, if you buy the car with full vic rego, get it to Qld and then simply transfer it into your name and register in Qld.

Marlox 05-08-2018 06:32 AM

Hi all, it seems this is getting trickier by the minute. After talking to Vic roads the cobra has never received full rego and the engineering was never presented to them. So at this stage Vic roads is thinking to get full rego anywhere I'll need to have a new engineering report. I guess my next port of call is Qld dept transport and see how they respond. Any and all comments and ideas are really welcomed at this point, and if the the comment or idea is buy in Qld(which is the obvious and preferred) I'm 100% with you, just point me to one sub $40k :) . Thanks again everyone for your help, it really is appreciated.

spookypt 05-08-2018 01:01 PM

Sorry to say but walk away. They are around in qld. Mix in the cobra circles and the right car and price will come.

Treeve 05-08-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookypt (Post 1443996)
Its no different to bringing into QLD from Vic a Ford Focus. As long as its got full rego and a vin then the process is the same. Remember though IT MUST pass a QLD RWC.
*(Traps there) Club rego Id assume would be different.

Also, you may find, depending on the car that it was originally rego'd up here. With a lot of builders being up here long ago you never know QT might have a history of it. If you post a pic some may know its lineage.

Actually, no, is not the same as a Ford Focus.
The difference is a Focus has a compliance plate and carries full documented testing held by the federal government that demonstrates compliance with all ADRS.
An ICV NEVER has full compliance - they aren’t crash tested for a start.
Each state therefore has its own scheme to allow ICV registration. Most states and territories are reasonable in accepting data from other states and territories. NSW in particular is not...
Just don’t fall for the trap in believing that because it has engineering paperwork and it’s registered that it still matches the engineering paperwork. So many parts are changed / replaced after registration on ICVs you can never be sure until you check the paperwork against the car.

Just saying.

Treeve

spookypt 05-08-2018 05:08 PM

Treeve always appreciate your comments. The comment regarding the Ford Focus was actually QT's not mine and its how they justified the ease of rego transfer.

I know NSW is a basket case but my Vic ICV had no more than a QLD RWC to swap its rego. And if I get my Ford Focus and lower it to a lower "legal" height with mags and tyres and exhaust and tint are you suggesting its hasnt changed from its original engineering spec and would need to be re-engineered to transfer into state?

I can only comment on the experience I had with importing a VIC ICV to QLD and its process which was in essence pretty simple. Engineering mods and all the rest meant nothing to QT in my example. Perhaps different with others. Not all knacker ducts are knacker ducts!

Treeve 05-08-2018 05:28 PM

Only if your modifications require certification in either state - which lowering a focus to legal limits doesn’t.

I’m just trying to make sure the OP is aware that all it takes is one efficient QT worker to put a stick in his wheel.

spookypt 05-08-2018 05:48 PM

Treeve in your view, would change of ownership of an ICV in the same state (Qld for example) constitute the same caution? Im assuming so, in which I would agree but curious as to your opinion on this?

And thankfully the OP I think is refining his hunt to QLD but now wondering subject to above if potentially the same caution must also apply?

xb-60 05-08-2018 07:36 PM

It can sometimes be the case that after inspection and approval for registration, some owners might 'consider' further mods to their ICV.
If at a later date the car is sold, the original registration approval (legal) conditions may not match the actual mechanical spec. of the car.
A potential buyer should consider that before purchasing a car.

Cheers,
Glen