Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2019, 02:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     
Default Choice of manual?

After finishing my car I'm having some electronic shift problems with the auto.
And after driving it, I really should have built a manual. So what choices do I have.
I don't want to spend $5000 or more on a Tremec. Someone at a gearbox workshop suggested a Crown manual? I forgot which one. Any suggestion for a 302 Windsor. 91 model. Are the bellhousings all the same? JD
Old 02-10-2019, 02:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had a tremec 5 speed in my other Cobra and I contacted tremec and they sold me a build manual for that one plus they sent a DVD that showed everything. I don't know if they have them for your transmission or not but you could try and see. Might save you a lot of money. If I remember correctly the one I got didn't cost very much.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-10-2019, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

who spends $5000 for a Tremec? you can get a T56 for under $3K new, under $1500 from an "auto parts recycler", surely a TKO can be had.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought by the time I add a clutch, flywheel etc it would cost that much. I'll look into it more. I'm in the process of a big move to Naracoorte. Hopefully catch up to some Cobra guys down there.
JD
Old 02-10-2019, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans chassis, jag fr. & rear.
Not Ranked     

Jaydee,
Try having a look at salvage vehicles at an auction house.
Last dry season I bought a Ford ute V8 for $50.00 no fees.
I found out later it had been stolen and burnt.
I just wanted the diff, which looked to be OK except for a couple of cooked boots on the handbrake cable.
Turns out the vehicle sat in water up to the bottom of the fuel tank (which wasn't burnt).
The bottom that is, the rest of the tank was cactus.
The six speed tremec manual box was OK apart from the shifter mech and sensors
The diff is good, which is what I wanted, and,
the COYOTE block is OK although the FPV Harrod supercharger suffered.
So A 2011 Ford Falcon GS (315KW) FPV ute with a whole lot of parts for $50 was a good buy.
Hunt around salvage mate, you never know what you might find.

Dave
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Jaydee

If it's not a high horsepower 302 then head straight for the Tremec T5 as was in the AU XR8's.

A modern 5 speed and I suspect the bell housing pattern might be close too though don't quote me on that.

Though it was a matched set that was my original set up with motor and gearbox pulled from a 2002 AU.

Cheers
Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. I remember looking for one 5 years ago when I started, and I couldn't find one. I'll start hunting around. JD
Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FAL...580a%7Ciid%3A1
Old 02-11-2019, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Yeah there was T5’s from Falcons in the scrap yard at Orange for $50 a pop... until I bought all 3. It’s my favourite gearbox, and when the shifter is put in the right place with the right tailhousing is perfect in a Cobra. Id recommend a T5.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Numerous on gumtree right now and even bell housings.

One even in Salisbury for $650
Jaydee and Jaydee like this.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Wink

Jaydee --- Ask Mal Wood for a quote (by Email)-- tell him what you have and tell him what you want -- then you can shop around if you need to
* clutch pedal, cable or hydraulic ?
* flywheel 157 or 164 teeth ring gear ? --EFI motor 50oz imbalance ??
* starter type that you have ?
* clutch
* bell housing
* Gear box -recommend - T5 (Type 251) Ford mustang V8, 10 spline input and 28 spline out put, 5th is .63 great for cruising with a diff ratio of 3 - 3.5
* rear mount may change ?
* tail shaft slip yoke and length may change
* speedo drive mechanical or electronic?
* shifter stick and knob

In this regard Mal has everything you need
hope this helps and good luck
Jaydee likes this.

Last edited by Mrs flatchat; 02-12-2019 at 03:50 AM..
Old 02-12-2019, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Wink

The T5 (251 V8) is an ideal gearbox for your Cobra up to 300 ftlb torque
-- more than that its the TKO 500 and TKO 600 =600ftlb torque etc(all 5 speed) after that its the T56 Magnum (6 speed) 700 ftlb torque---
---More ? go back to auto
The T5 is used in a lot of different cars --4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder, GMs, Holdens, Jeeps etc and Fords
GMs have different input and output shafts (GM 10spline Input and GM27 output)
Ford is Ford 10 spline input and 28 spline output
The "AU" V8 T5 output shaft and extension housing incl shifter position is too long
contemplating using an XR6 T5 and swapping the bell for a V8 ? --the input shaft will be wrong length and some are 23 spline input

So! if you are outsourcing a T5 pls consider the above -- we can mix n match in a rebuild if necessary as we have the technology (ie.suddenly it won't be cheap gearbox anymore)

In a Cobra --first choice is a MUSTANG V8 T5 (pref Type 251)
BJ's Snake, Gaz64 and Jaydee like this.

Last edited by Mrs flatchat; 02-12-2019 at 04:54 AM..
Old 02-12-2019, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Speedo is the easiest problem as I have a GPS speedo. I have to now wait till I move to my new house and finally get my shed together and put in my hoist.
I have been renovating the house we now live in in Swan Hill for 2 years without a shed. Man that is hard. Once I get my new shed I can sort out my car. I have all the pedal setup etc. And I don't want cable. Thanks again guys for the advice.
JD
Old 02-12-2019, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

how did you get a gps speedo passed thru engineering i didnt think there were allowed? but i can see why you would do it tho ..remind me again what auto box your using jaydee.
cheers dean
Old 02-12-2019, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

GPS speedo is illegal in Australia for any vehicle with ADR 18.

Gary
Old 02-13-2019, 01:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In the engineering report it shows that the engineer used a GPS to calibrate speedos. So in the column of his reading and mine it showed no discrepancy. I guess everyone was happy.
My auto is a BTR 95 . Its not shifting into 4 and start in second unless I manual shift it into 1. And the torque convertor doesn't lock up. I think it must be in limp home mode. JD
Old 02-13-2019, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
how did you get a gps speedo passed thru engineering i didnt think there were allowed? but i can see why you would do it tho ..remind me again what auto box your using jaydee.
cheers dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
In the engineering report it shows that the engineer used a GPS to calibrate speedos. So in the column of his reading and mine it showed no discrepancy. I guess everyone was happy.
My auto is a BTR 95 . Its not shifting into 4 and start in second unless I manual shift it into 1. And the torque convertor doesn't lock up. I think it must be in limp home mode. JD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
GPS speedo is illegal in Australia for any vehicle with ADR 18.

Gary
I still don't believe GPS speedo as the only source of speed indication is legal.

I'll post the documentation when I find it.

Your auto is probably in limp mode because the PCM is not seeing a speed signal, since the VSS is not hooked up.

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 02-13-2019 at 03:37 AM..
Old 02-13-2019, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The speed sensor is connected. There is also a tps sensor but I wasn't sure if it powered with 12 or 5 volt. The power came through the body computer. Any way I don't want my engineer to be wrong about the GPS speedo.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some more info for discussion:

The big change with ADR 18/03 means that the speed indicated must always be ABOVE actual speed. Prior to 1 July 2006, a speedo could read over or under the vehicle actual speed - as long as it was within 10% of the actual speed. The driver/rider can only rely on their instrument, their speedo. Owners of older vehicles (made up until July 2006) are disadvantaged. ADR 18/03 requires speedos to overestimate the actual speed of the vehicle.

A Possible Scenario
Lets consider for a minute the end result of different ages of vehicles travelling down the road sign posted as 60km/h. This segment of road will have a varied population:
Those aware of the indicated speedo error on their post 2006 speedos, deliberately driving at the speed limit as set by indicated speed (comforted in the knowledge that they'll never get a speeding fine),
Those aware of the indicated speedo error on their post 2006 speedos, adding a fudge factor to their indicated speed,
Those not aware of the indicated speedo error in their older pre-2006 speedo taking their indicated speed at face value and driving at the speed limit (may be 10% over limit),
and finally those with GPS's who will be driving around at a true actual speed.
If they are all doing an indicated 60km/h, so complying to the prevailing speed limit, their actual vehicle speeds could be anywhere between 49km/h to 66km/h. That's a big differential to manage.

Now add to that mix, those in the 3rd category driving at an indicated 5km/h under the speed limit as encouraged by the likes of the Victoria TAC i.e., the 'wipe off 5' campaign, and the differential in actual speed in a 60km/h zone could be as wide as 44km/h to 66km/h. No wonder there's road rage.

The next time you get agitated by a vehicle travelling just under the limit, have some consideration, because as far as they know, they may think they are doing the speed limit.

Conclusion
"It was pointed out to me by a solicitor that another change made in 2006 was to clarify that the onus for a vehicle's speed is firmly on the operator, regardless of how they determine it. The excuse of having an inaccurate speedometer is now irrelevant in law as it is the responsibility of the vehicle operator to ensure it is accurate or that they at all times are knowing of their velocity be it by GPS or ESP or some God given gift."
Grant Delahoy - VMC

Reference Material and Websites
The MRASA would like to recognise the following sources and contributors of information on the subject of speedometer accuracy.

Traffic Law Website - a Victorian website with a law-centric view of speedometers.
(Authority to quote and reproduce obtained from Sean Hardy, 12 March 2014)
Guy Stanford, Australian Motorcycle Council (AMC) - material from the Australian Design Rules.
Grant Delahoy, Victorian Motorcycle Council (VMC)
Rob Salvatore, Victorian Motorcycle Council (VMC)

My point is GPS may well be accurate but it should NOT be the only source of driver speed info. Doesn't work in tunnels, covered carparks etc, or within large buildings in the city etc.

Relying on an external source to the vehicle is not a fixture of the vehicle.

Gary
Old 02-13-2019, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

You don't see many speed cameras in underground car parks :-)
Mrs flatchat likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: