Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2015, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans and Wooley, 302 Windsor, Supra turbo 5sp
Not Ranked     
Default Side Pipes

Hi all,

My new car has live side pipes and I have been told by a few people that these are illegal. I have noticed in a few build threads there are guys that are building their cars with what appears to be live side pipes. i am interested to hear people experiences with live side pip[es and the legalities of these in Victoria. I would like to keep mine but if that means I am being pulled over and told by police that they are not road worthy and given a not so nice un RWC sticker then I guess the love affair will be over

Thanks

Andrew
Old 09-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

VicRoads has a set of standards for modified cars [VSB 8] and these do not preclude side-pipes.

Important to note that they should be shielded - I went for perforated ally.
Hard part is keeping the noise down.

LB
Old 09-15-2015, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Lo Belly any chance you know what the noise spec is?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

How about the fact that modern category MA vehicles are allowed live side pipes under teh ADRS?

Check out the Merc AMG G-Wagen - it's even a selling point.
boxhead and Jaydee like this.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
How about the fact that modern category MA vehicles are allowed live side pipes under teh ADRS?

Check out the Merc AMG G-Wagen - it's even a selling point.
hmm well that very interesting although I reckon the get out of jail free card there is the the main part of the pipe is under the car unlike the cobra which it runs down the side.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

I'm building a Pace 427SC here in Melbourne and intend to run live side pipes (with a cat after the headers).

My engineer has said there is no problem in running L & R side pipes, as long as they meet the noise requirements. He mentioned nothing about shielding, although I will likely be getting my stainless pipes HPC ceramic coated. If I have to fit shields, I will.

Pace's side pipes have a spiral insert that apparently makes them quiet enough to pass the noise test. Bernie is running them in his big block Kirkham in Geelong and has not been hassled.
Laner likes this.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

as LoBelly and Treeve say, sidepipes themselves are not inherently illegal.

People say they are illegal because they USED TO BE. There was an exhaust emissions ADR which prevented any left side-exit exhaust on category N vehicles, this ADR was removed quite a few years ago.

You do however need to meet noise requirements, and may need to provide heat shielding.

I say may on the heat shielding because the ADR states something along the lines of "general safety requirements" and this aspect of heat shielding sidepipes, what material, how far it extends, etc etc, is at the discretion of the engineer. My engineer has told me that I will need heat shields.

Noise is noise, you are unlikely to get them to pass the tests. I'm pretty sure mine are going to be too loud, but jeez they sound awesome - lots of snap crackle pop when backing off winner winner.
boxhead, mate, Gav and 1 others like this.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
I'm building a Pace 427SC here in Melbourne and intend to run live side pipes (with a cat after the headers).

My engineer has said there is no problem in running L & R side pipes, as long as they meet the noise requirements. He mentioned nothing about shielding, although I will likely be getting my stainless pipes HPC ceramic coated. If I have to fit shields, I will.

Pace's side pipes have a spiral insert that apparently makes them quiet enough to pass the noise test. Bernie is running them in his big block Kirkham in Geelong and has not been hassled.
Thanks that's great news to hear of two people in Vic running them so my love affair can continue by the looks of things . Btw who is your engineer?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post

my sidepipe design is using a perforated inner 2.5" tube which is wrapped in stainless scourers, but the next step for me to TRY to quiet them down for rego is to add the auger that you describe, hopefully it will make enough difference.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
my sidepipe design is using a perforated inner 2.5" tube which is wrapped in stainless scourers, but the next step for me to TRY to quiet them down for rego is to add the auger that you describe, hopefully it will make enough difference.
Cool well I will watch with interest as I will probably need to modify mine at some point.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
I have a pair of 3.5" Patriot auger inserts (http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...3843/overview/) in each of my side pipes, and they're surprisingly quiet - actually too quiet for my taste. There's far more wind noise than exhaust noise at 110 km/hr steady state cruise. They get a bit louder under acceleration, but nowhere near the sound levels I hear from many other vehicles.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

hopefully the pace ones will meet the noise requirements i will be happy to buy a set if this is the case and the engineer says left and right pipes are ok here in sa
Old 09-15-2015, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I used to have a 3" perforated tube wrapped with insulation in my pipes and they where quite loud.
I have now stepped down to 2.5" and they are now loud but not eat splitting.
You can have a conversation with a passenger in the car at cruise speed but definitely not at WOT.