Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Dash mounted direction indicator switch (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/145236-dash-mounted-direction-indicator-switch.html)

xb-60 10-03-2021 10:08 PM

Dash mounted direction indicator switch

For a number of reasons, the direction indicator switch that I was intending to use on my car won't fit without significant 'adjustments' to both the switch assembly itself and my dash panel.

A very simple alternative is a dash mounted switch (I remember my grandfather's Austin A40 Farina had one of these switches)

Question: are these switches legal for new registration applications in Australia?

Cheers!
Glen

BJ's Snake 10-04-2021 04:36 PM

Doesn't it need to be self cancelling?

patrickt 10-04-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1497770)

Question: are these switches legal for new registration applications in Australia?

Cheers!
Glen

I say yes. See: AUSTRALIAN VEHICLE STANDARDS RULES - REG 104 Operation and visibility of direction indicator lights
and you're going to shi* when you see my bill.:cool:

xb-60 10-05-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ's Snake (Post 1497807)
Doesn't it need to be self cancelling?

BJ - good point. I'm looking into that.
I have had advice this morning that an MGA switch (which is dash mounted) is self cancelling, with the cancel time being adjustable. It would of course require a dash light as well.

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 10-05-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1497808)
I say yes. See: AUSTRALIAN VEHICLE STANDARDS RULES - REG 104 Operation and visibility of direction indicator lights
and you're going to shi* when you see my bill.:cool:

Patrick - I'll keep this reply brief (as it appears I'm on the clock :LOL:)
That link takes me to "Northern Territory Consolidated Regulations" ...and at the last check, I'm in still resident in South Australia.

NT has roads that run straight for 1000km, so maybe they don't need direction indicators there :rolleyes:

Cheers!
Glen

patrickt 10-05-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1497839)
Patrick - I'll keep this reply brief (as it appears I'm on the clock :LOL:)
That link takes me to "Northern Territory Consolidated Regulations" ...and at the last check, I'm in still resident in South Australia.

NT has roads that run straight for 1000km, so maybe they don't need direction indicators there :rolleyes:

Cheers!
Glen

Here: https://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/lz...018.5.auth.pdf
Scoot down to Division 12 on page 52. They call them "Direction Indicator Lights." It's pretty much the same as the laws in the north where the smarter people live. I'm now doubling my bill.:cool:

Gaz64 10-05-2021 06:15 PM

Glen, I think you'll find you need to have a column mounted stalk with a cam operated cancelling mechanism.

patrickt 10-05-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz64 (Post 1497841)
Glen, I think you'll find you need to have a column mounted stalk with a cam operated cancelling mechanism.

Maybe there's a rule buried somewhere else. But that regulation is pretty clear:

100—Operation and visibility of direction indicator lights
(1) A direction indicator light fitted to a motor vehicle must—
(a) when operating, display regular flashes of light at a rate of not over
120 flashes a minute and—
(i) for a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels—at least 60 flashes a
minute; and
(ii) for another motor vehicle—at least 45 flashes a minute; and
(b) be able to be operated by a person in the normal driving position; and
(c) be wired to an audible or visible device in the vehicle that tells the driver that the direction indicator light is operating; and
(d) flash at the same time and rate as any other direction indicator lights fitted on the same side of the vehicle

xb-60 10-05-2021 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1497842)
Maybe there's a rule buried somewhere else. But that regulation is pretty clear:

100—Operation and visibility of direction indicator lights
(1) A direction indicator light fitted to a motor vehicle must—
(a) when operating, display regular flashes of light at a rate of not over
120 flashes a minute and—
(i) for a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels—at least 60 flashes a
minute; and
(ii) for another motor vehicle—at least 45 flashes a minute; and
(b) be able to be operated by a person in the normal driving position; and
(c) be wired to an audible or visible device in the vehicle that tells the driver that the direction indicator light is operating; and
(d) flash at the same time and rate as any other direction indicator lights fitted on the same side of the vehicle

Patrick, I had a read, then a re-read ..... and I can't yet see any holes in your argument. I'll check with the person who has to sign it off ;)

Cheers,
Glen

kyleb 10-06-2021 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The RF GT40 that I was graciously allowed to drive for a while had a 3 position switch on the dash and no auto-cancel.
I reckon if you chat to the new/original owner of RF in Vic then I bet he’ll set you straight.

patrickt 10-06-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1497853)
Patrick, I had a read, then a re-read ..... and I can't yet see any holes in your argument.

Well, good. You're just as much a lawyer in Australia as I am.:cool:

xb-60 10-07-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1497862)
Well, good. You're just as much a lawyer in Australia as I am.:cool:

You are most probably quite accurate there, councillor ;)

jknich 10-07-2021 07:49 PM

How about this, momentary power window switch. Self cancelling when you remove your finger: can't attach picture. Lets try this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-A...-/321423140169

jknich 10-07-2021 09:28 PM

Ford Probe turn signal switch:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/prin...1&pp=40&page=1

xb-60 10-08-2021 04:31 PM

Thanks Jim. Looking into it :)

ssv ute 10-08-2021 07:39 PM

Hi Glen,

This was the reply I got from my engineer when I asked the same question to him.

"I cannot find any evidence to suggest that the indicators need to be self-cancelling although it would be more practical"

I ended up using a 3 position ON/OFF/ON toggle switch.

Richard

xb-60 10-09-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv ute (Post 1497912)
Hi Glen,

This was the reply I got from my engineer when I asked the same question to him.

"I cannot find any evidence to suggest that the indicators need to be self-cancelling although it would be more practical"

I ended up using a 3 position ON/OFF/ON toggle switch.

Richard

Thanks Richard. That's the conclusion that I had arrived at (with some complimentary advice from Patrick).

I also had decided that an on/off/on switch would suit me adequately ....my Alfa's self-cancellation feature ceased working reliably decades ago, so I'm accustomed to having to manually cancel the turn indicators.

Which switch are you using?

Cheers!
Glen

ssv ute 10-10-2021 03:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Chrome toggle detent switch.

Richard

xb-60 10-10-2021 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Richard :)

edit: So, it seems that there's enough lack of definitive information (??) from our State registration authorities regarding the need, or otherwise, to have self-cancelling turn indicators, so I'm going with a Cole Hersee on-off-on switch, which is similar in appearance to the battery isolator that I'm using on my dash panel. I might need to be prepared for some 'discussion' at registration time

Here's the Cole Hersee 24054 on-off-on ....

Attachment 36557

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 11-05-2021 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Cole Hersee on-off-on switch for my direction indicators came in this morning...

Attachment 36686

That's another one ticked off the list ;)

Cheers,
Glen