Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2002, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default FFR Cobra's

Gents'

Can anyone comment on the quality of the FFR cobra,particularly the lads that went to the spring fling in Ohio recently.
The cobra tech center in Warrigul deal with Superformance kits and I'm wondering if FFR ever were prepared to do a roller(no motor ,g/box,wheels, or fuel system and unpainted) and sell them in Australia, how do you think they would go? What sort of $$ do you think would be a fair price that would temp folks?
About 4 years ago I had a real hard look at bringing one in,(before the arse fell out of the dollar).I've still got their build manual. They seem to be a very light car and the option of say a kevlar body, some bigger brakes,Tremec and a warm 302 sounds good to me!.
In the end it was the uncertainty of compliance to our laws and not being sure of the hassle to get this work done that canned the whole thing,too many variables and I was, and still are, pretty green when it comes to these cars.

Cheers
Chris Lidgerwood
Gisborne
Vic
Old 07-12-2002, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Chris,
I made mention elsewhere that I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely many of the FFR cars were finished. Really nice paint and panel work, good looking interiors, lotsa room in the engine bay. I'd seen numerous complaints about the amount of bodywork required to make things right, about the "terrible" doors, unsafe fuel tank etc, etc. From what many say, the problems are largely fixed in the newer cars, but you still need to spend some time on the bodies.

Some points against:
Donor concept requires shipment of an extra donor car (shipping$$$)
Body isn't as accurate as others.
LOTS of work for steering conversion and compliancing
Labour intensive alloy panelling
Exchange rate

For less money, I'd still go for one of the current Aust kits. They have already been tested and complianced. Too much trouble and money to compliance a car of that value. The Shelby factory has a RHD chassis sitting there ready to go to anyone with the money. If you're going to compliance a car, it may as well be the best!!!

Any idea what sort of money they want for the Superformance? They had a display at the Fling that allowed you to easily get underneath their cars, and they're really well put together. And the paint....... better than any Cobra that I've yet seen ever here!
Old 07-12-2002, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig;
I think it was around 55-60k for a Superformance a few years ago.That is with no engine or g/box.That may have changed by now....I dont know?
Regards
Chris
Old 07-12-2002, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, from what I saw a few weeks ago, that's excellent value. Really, really good value. I wish you hadn't told me that. I'm too far into my new car to back out now!!!
Old 07-13-2002, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig;
I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again,but after I posted I started to think that figure was 65k minus box and motor and a few other things.After all ,these days the Superformance is around 36kUS$ to buy, so I reckon its gotta be around that mark.
They have an add in the latest unique cars (Cobra Tech Center-Warragul,Vic), a phone call would fix the wondering I guess.
(03 5622 3370)
Cheers

Chris Lidgerwood
Old 07-14-2002, 05:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

Chris. SPF roller today complete is $36.9k w/o engine , trans and install. so , call it in the $50k +/- with a few options and depending on engine choice perhaps more ( in USA dollars ) . your 'prior' price reference of 65k is way off base. at one time it was about 30k several yrs ago but that was before Trigo knock offs (or SPF knock offs) and Willwood brakes became standard and roller re- priced accordingly. Both the k/o's and the willwoods previously had been about $2200-2400 each as options. I dont recall the exact amounts but i am sure i am close. Other minor price increases incurred reflect economic pricing increases as well as covering other product upgrades as they get incorporated into later iterations. Bill
Old 07-15-2002, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill, thanks for the extra detail on U.S. pricing, but Chris was talking about $65K in Aussie dollars. There was once a time when the Aussie dollar was stronger than the USD, but not anymore - not by a long shot..... Congrats on choosing Superformance, they really stood out (alongside Shelby and ERA cars) as premium quality cars.

Oh, and glad to see a supercharger on yours too. There can never be enough blown Cobras!!!