Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2003, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Default Finally got my engine home!

Well here it is, in my shed finally.

I picked up the engine from Eagle on Saturday. Got it home and bolted the transmission up to it. Next I quickly fabricated a trolley to wheel the whole thing around on since I'm not quite ready to put it in the car. It also means I can sit behind it makeing Broom Broom noises and shifting gears.

It's an LS1 that was destined for the US Firebird/Camaro rather than the Aussie Commodore. The sump is different with the pick up at the back rather than the front so shouldn't have the oiling problems of the Commodore.

Cheers

Old 04-14-2003, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Mike,

What was the damage in the end for the engine?

Jori
Old 04-14-2003, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Engine Home

Arvo Mike, good to see a similar engine in the home town.
Im a new player to the forum and have slowly tracked you progress.
What mods have you done to the Gen111 as it stands, or are you adding bits on after.

P.S Nice work on the box, i plan to folow that modification and will probably involve you ( if permissable ) to ensure its as class job as yours has ended up.

Regards
Garrett
Old 04-16-2003, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Mike,
One step closer! It's amazing how long that T56 is - it's not until I saw that aerial shot that I realised.... That shifter conversion looks like it might get you quite a bit of business within the Cobra fraternity.

How did you go with that DVSF digital video???

Garrett - WELCOME! Great choice of car!!! Mike, Scott (OZVENOM), and I saw quite a few Superformance Cobras over in the States last year, and they are spectacular! Are they selling them with only LS1s, or can they configure them to suit your requirements?
Old 04-16-2003, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jori,

All up for just the motor was $6750. But I still have to buy a clutch and flywheel, starter, alternator, ECU, MAF....

Garrett,

I wish my progress was tracking a bit faster

The motor itself is stock and will stay that way till after it's registered and on the road. The only mods it'll get initially will be headers and an airbox. Once it's on the road I'll change the cam and get the heads worked over. Then I'll look at building an 8xTB injection manifold or maybe a blower.

Drop me a line when you want to do your gear box.

Cheers

Old 04-16-2003, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Craig,

I've got about 2/3 of the video onto my PC. I can only get about a minute of video uploaded before my PC locks up and I have to reboot. It's a frustrating process. The in car video on the oval is pretty ordinary. Hershal's camera mount bounces arround a lot and the wind noise drowns out the exhaust note I can email you some small sections of it if you like.

The Box is so long that the stock Commodore shifter would nearly be in the boot

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 04-16-2003 at 02:43 AM..
Old 04-16-2003, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Mike - glad to see such progress, do you have a completion date in mind yet?
Old 04-16-2003, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Wilf,

Probably still a year away from completion at this rate. Finances are the main limiting factor. I guess the engine was one of the bigger purchases but I've got a few others to save up for ie wheels and tyres.

Cheers

Old 04-16-2003, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Hi there Mike

Hey Mike, good to see your getting there.
Looks like i will have the 6 speed box before i come to Melbourne so as the time gets closer i will need to talk with you and make sure you are ok to help with modifiying mine the same way as yours, (I will get a shifter and all)
I wont be there till december, so i will order the shifter and make sure i have it with me when i see you.
Let me know what accesories you need for your engine as i am pretty sure i can get a flywheel and cable operated throttle body for you.
I have a 2nd hand flywheel in my shed that i probably wont be useing, (because if i get the stroker kit it comes with a flywheel).
I will be looking for a startermotor, alternator and power steering pump if i go with power steer so i will talk with other dealers to see what i can get for the 2 of us.
I also have standard commodore headers you can use to make the under car exhaust for rego.

Good luck with all the work and i will keep in touch.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Talking nearly there.

Hi mike hey at the rate your going you might beat craig to get yours on the road.
though you have to be quick as we should have craigs drivable over easter regoed well thats a whole other story.
we have fuel pressure oil accumalated water in the rad a charged battery no side pipes just the way a cobra should be started for the first time . just need the electrics sorted and fire in the hole you won't be able to wipe the smile of Craigs face with a shovel. or mine .
Long live big horse power.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by 750hp

Mike,
One step closer! It's amazing how long that T56 is - it's not until I saw that aerial shot that I realised.... That shifter conversion looks like it might get you quite a bit of business within the Cobra fraternity.

How did you go with that DVSF digital video???

Garrett - WELCOME! Great choice of car!!! Mike, Scott (OZVENOM), and I saw quite a few Superformance Cobras over in the States last year, and they are spectacular! Are they selling them with only LS1s, or can they configure them to suit your requirements?
Mike - thanks for the welcome ( must admit hope the cobra is easier to drive that this forum ) So far mines the 2nd imported into Oz ( I think ) I really liked the chev motor, the CO who is building this for me had a engine bay made up with the correct spec's and shiped the details over to Superformance so that when it arrived all we had to do is slip it in with the T56. Is being reg'd today then stripped and more goodies added after easter.
Need help with a great quality and finish on 17" Haibrand rims though, currently running 15'', but want better rubber than is available with 15" thus the 17" not to mention the bigger brakes cas i recon if you gunna make it go you better make it stop
"Got a recomendation for these rims ?"
Old 04-16-2003, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Mike

Jori,

All up for just the motor was $6750. But I still have to buy a clutch and flywheel, starter, alternator, ECU, MAF....

Garrett,

I wish my progress was tracking a bit faster:3DSMILE:

The motor itself is stock and will stay that way till after it's registered and on the road. The only mods it'll get initially will be headers and an airbox. Once it's on the road I'll change the cam and get the heads worked over. Then I'll look at building an 8xTB injection manifold or maybe a blower.

Drop me a line when you want to do your gear box.

Mike, will do, am going to run around a bit to see how the location is, yet have got rid of that extention plate thingo ( see the builder in me coming out now as i dont have much idea about metal bits ) and move the gear knob where that back plate is covered on yours.
If i could work out how to insert a couple of pic's on the Album page of my profile i would but it tells me the file size is to big, dont know why they are just normal pic's or i could scoot you a couple via Email.
Let me know or give me the crash course on how to drive the Album area...

Cheers
:confused: :cool: :confused:
Old 04-16-2003, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Garrett,

OZ Wheels in Sydney make a very nice 3 piece 17" Halibrand style wheel. Check out the wheels on Sloths car. The Superformance has a narrower rear end than The Classic Revival so the wheels will look awesome with a bit more inward offset.

Here are a couple of pics of the wheels on Sloth's car. He hasn't got the spinners fitted in these pictures but you'll get the idea.

They look good in the flesh and I plan to run a set on my car, 17x8.5 front and 17x11 rear. I priced them a while back and they were about $650 per wheel regardles of width (It's the same effort for him to build an 8" rim as it is an 11" rim).

I've got their phone number at home somwhere. I'll find it and email it to you.

If you want to email me some pics of your shifter set up I might be able to offer some assistance. My adress is lm.murphy@bigpond.com

I would be happy to modify your box the same as mine at a very reasonable price. I have an extra B&M shifter on the shelf ready to go.

Cheers

Old 06-29-2003, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five 351w
Send a message via AIM to snakeboy
Not Ranked     
Default I would like to move my shifter forward also.

Mike

Can you tell me how you move your shifter forward on the T56 transmission.

Here is a picture of my transmission mounted in my frame. The shifter is a little far back but would still be usable with a forward angled shifter arm.

Thanks SnakeBoy

Old 06-29-2003, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi SnakeBoy,

Check out this thread: Shifter relocation

I posted this whole procedure up when I first did the mod last year. Hope this helps.

I checked out your build gallery. Looks like you are going to have a schweet Cobra when you've finished.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 06-29-2003 at 08:08 PM..