Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     
Default Australian Super Touring Cars

Any of you guys have some good links to Aussie ST Cars for sale? Know of any being exported to the US for racing in SCCA, etc. before?
Old 10-16-2003, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Don't you have enough cars on your plate at the moment!!! How about a compromise? I can get you as many as you like in 1/18 scale....

TC - There's the premier category of V8 Supercars, and then there's the "junior" category called the "Konica V8 Supercar Series" Most of the top level teams also own a franchise in the Konica category, so all of this year's parts are used in next year's Konica cars. Kinda like hand-me-downs...

By the time the majority of these cars reach the classifieds, they have generally done three seasons, had numerous bingles, been tarted up as corporate lap-day cars, been over used and under maintained, and are generally pretty tired.... Do I make it sound attractive? I wanted to buy NUMEROUS parts when I was building my car (engine, trans, 9" diff parts, suspension, wheels, brakes etc), and about the only thing that wasn't past it's "life" were brake rotors.

It's not like Nascar parts, because the V8 Supercar guys are playing with perhaps 1/10 the budget of a mid running Nascar team. As such, the parts simply have to last longer...

Having said all of that, occasionally a team strikes difficulties and might retract back to a one car team and decide to sell of the second car. These cars are often built by top level teams. You'd save a massive amount by only buying a roller, then fitting a Nascar motor. If you want me to make some enquiries with the Ford teams around here, let me know.

If you want to find out about Holden Commodores (with the Chev motors), you'll have to ask one of the guys that lives in Victoria. It's not that I won't deal in Chev stuff, just that most of the Ford teams are smart enough to have moved up to sunny Queensland

Hope this helps in some way.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig,

I was watching one of the races last night and I was amazed at how fast and well setup those cars are. Based on what you say, a used Winston Cup car is looking more and more attractive everyday.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hope they were showing the Bathurst race that was held last weekend. Perhaps in the top 5 street circuits in the world....

I think I read that the used Winston Cup cars generally go for $40 to $60K complete? If the engine has been freshened, there's no way that you'd get a V8 Supercar for anywhere near that. Reco'd engines over here (done right) cost about $35 to $40K USD on their own...

A V8 Supercar would make a Cup car look pretty silly on a roadrace track. Get them on an oval and it'd be a different story though - but going round and round in circles doesn't look like much fun!

Craig
Old 10-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would do a CUP Car set up for road race. I agree on the roundy round bit. The race I watchd had that horrific barrell roll at the start, forgot which track it was but it was a glorious track where they got up to 280KPH.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That was Phillip Island. Turn one would be a pretty wild feeling in a car that's not handling perfectly...

Oh well, at least that crash gave you some idea of the chassis layout. You just had to pause the video tape at various stages of the crash! There was another crash that the team involved lost out in more ways than one. First - their car was destroyed, and Second - their secret exhaust system was shown in vivid detail as the car rolled over and finished belly-up.....

Some days you just can't win!!!