Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-21-2004, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     
Default Roll Bar

Well its time to get the roll bars.

I'm thinking of getting 2 x individual roll bars with a rear stay going through into the boot.

Just wondering where people got their roll bars from. Approximate costs and who does a good job.

Have not decided on chrome or stainless steel yet so any advice in this area would be helpfull also.

Regards

Cameron
Old 01-21-2004, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hi Cameron...good to see are looking at two bars.....too many of us dont consider our partners safety.

As to where to get em...again I can recommend Don Pilling at Snake bite ... 07 5529 0877.

Don makes the single hoop bars both left and right versions. Mostly in polished stainless but discuss your wants with him.

I have a full width bar made by Don and cant fault his workmanship. I supplied Don a thin 200mm X 25mm LED strip light to insert into the middle of my bar as a high mount stop light. Turned out bonza.

Mind you...Don lives at the Gold Coast and is a Queenslander, but I'm sure would help you anyways.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Real: Southern Roadcraft, SRV8, 351W stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Roll bar

Cameron,
I am pretty sure the latest ADR rules state that the roll bar has to accommodate the passenger as well as the driver or no roll bars at all.
Cheers,
Bryan
VK3KDN

Old 01-21-2004, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
roll bar has to accommodate the passenger as well as the driver or no roll bars at all.
Gotta love those ADRs.... put in a double roll bar, or take the double pancake option if you choose.

Quote:
Just wondering where people got their roll bars from. Approximate costs and who does a good job
I got mine custom bent at Unik Steel Bending in Dandenong.
I told them the overall size, diameter and the bend radius I wanted and they were able to do it in mild steel, which I later had chromed.

Cost was under $200 complete. (back in 98).
Old 01-21-2004, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra weber fuel injected 557 C.I.. 800H.P 760LBS. TQ. Magnum T56
Send a message via AIM to MAXVELO
Not Ranked     
Default Roll Bar....

Cameron02, I had my U-bend bent at: http://www.sharpeproducts.com/
They were the only ones I could find to bend a 3" diameter tube with a wall thickness of .125". with a mandrel bend. Gentleman that helped me out was Jay. There in Wis. Cost me $220 but it was because of the 3" tubing. You will most likely go with something smaller. My car looks like its on steroids so the rollbar was no exception. I wanted it to compliment the larger size of my car. I will be posting new pictures within the next 2 weeks. Im in the process of putting the car back together after re-painting & re-chroming. The bent tube is in my gallery but far from finished in the photo!

Last edited by MAXVELO; 01-21-2004 at 02:55 PM..
Old 01-21-2004, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     

Cameron,

I will also recommend Don Pilling (07) 5529 0877 for your roll bar. I tried many of the tube benders and compared costs of stainless verses mild steel and chrome.

Ended up with Stainless double roll bar from Don with a Hella brake light mounted in the middle of the bar (milling of the brake light mounting is about $80). The finish quality and help was great total cost of around $400.

If DRB have particular mounting points or bend centres, Don can accomodate this.

Regards

Tony
Old 01-21-2004, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi Cameron,
I also got mine from Don Pilling before xmas and its beautifully made, polished s/steel $390 and it looks great on the body. Got bumpers also and they are really nice as well. Are you guys sure about double rollbars as I asked my engineer and he said they were not even req'd but did not mention if you fit one you need for passenger. Hope I 'm not up for another $390
Cheers Leeroy
Old 01-21-2004, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Just had a quick look at your photos Leeroy.
You've done some nice work over the last couple of months.
well done
Old 01-21-2004, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, 351W, GT40 Lightning Intake, Toploader, Jag running gear, 3.07 diff, Autronic ECU
Not Ranked     

I just got mine approved by the engineer with a single driver roll-bar. He didn't say anything about passenger side.

Adrian.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, this information is fantastic. Those of you who used steel and had it chromed, was the chroming expensive?

Regards

Cameron
Old 01-21-2004, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Cram

Ended up with Stainless double roll bar from Don with a Hella brake light mounted in the middle of the bar (milling of the brake light mounting is about $80). The finish quality and help was great total cost of around $400.
Tony, sounds like yours is the same as mine with the hella light in it.
Actually, mine was the first Don made with that light in it.
I had actually ordered a roll bar from RMC in W.A. with the light in it but when it turned up it was blu$$y awful....wrong bend radius and looked like they just used a pipe bender and crimped the tube at the bends.

I sent that bar back but kept the light...Don did the rest.

I think the light in the middle prolly weakens the bar a bit but I dont plan on putting the dirty side up.

Whichever way...Don is a craftsman with stainless...his imitation side pipes are just great for those not wanting working side pipes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: