Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Shattered (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/50290-shattered.html)

pneall 02-08-2004 06:41 PM

Shattered

just found out that the GEN 111 motor I have (2001 model) is not eligible for registration in NSW. Must be 2003 model complying to ADR 7900. Any one know what difference is or how I can find out?

Regards,

Phil Neall

Aussie Mike 02-08-2004 07:12 PM

I think I'm in the same boat. I believe the motors are the same internally and the casting numbers haven't changed since they changed the rocker cover bolt pattern.

According to the casting and part numbers your 2001 motor is the same as a 2003. You could tell them you are running a 2003 management system as well and they would be none the wiser.

Here's the head casting numbers for the Gen3 family.

Casting Number 241
Head: 1997+ LS1 5.7 Litre Passenger Car
Material: Aluminimum
Part Number:
12559853 (1997-00)
12564241 (2001-03)
Combustion Chamber Volume: 66.67cc
Compression Ratio: 10.1:1
Intake Port Volume: 200cc
Exhaust Port Volume: 70cc
Intake Valve Diameter: 2.00 inches
Exhaust Valve Diameter: 1.55 inches

Casting Number 243
Head: 2001 LS6 5.7 Litre Passenger Car
Part Number:
Combustion Chamber Volume: 64.45cc
Compression Ratio: 10.5:1
Intake Port Volume: 210cc
Exhaust Port Volume: 75cc

Casting Number 706
Head: 1999+ LR4 4.8 Litre Truck
1999+ LM4 /LM7 5.3 Litre Truck
Part Number:
Combustion Chamber Volume: 61.15cc
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Intake Port Volume: 200cc
Intake Valve Diameter: 1.89 inches

Casting Number 373
Head: 1999-2000 LQ4 6.0 Litre Truck
Material: Cast Iron
Part Number:
Combustion Chamber Volume: 71.06cc
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1

Casting Number 317
Head: 2001+ LQ4 6.0 Litre Truck
Part Number:
Combustion Chamber Volume: 71.06cc
Compression Ratio: 10:1

Head: GMPP C5R
Part Number:
Combustion Chamber Volume: 38cc
Compression Ratio:
Intake Port Volume:

Part Number:
Combustion Chamber Volume: 38cc
Compression Ratio:
Intake Port Volume:

Part Number:
Combustion Chamber Volume: <30cc
Compression Ratio:
Intake Port Volume:

Cheers

Rebel1 02-08-2004 07:20 PM

Bluddy hell...I sure feel for you fellows.

Lets hope common sense prevailes and you both get some sort of exemption.

Hope it works out for you both

pneall 02-08-2004 07:22 PM

Mike,

Thanks for idea but I think engine number and proof of purchase would give me away. RTA tecnical guy suggested writing to the manager and explain situation.

If this doesnt work Iam going to jump off something very high!!!!!!

This will mean end of Cobra replicars as who could afford new motor and computer from GM or Ford.

There is possibility of getting emission test by RTA . This is free but my engineer tells me its near impossible to pass.

Regards,

Phil

Leeroy 02-08-2004 07:50 PM

#!*&#$@!~ that makes 3 of us!

Aussie Mike 02-08-2004 07:56 PM

At least your heads will have the right part number.

Mine are the 12559853 (1997-00) heads and while they are the same casting the part number is a dead givaway that this is an older motor.

There might be a milling and restamping job for me in the future.
:eek:

I thought the year you started building your car was a factor too. I heard you had 3 years grace from the start of your build. Otherwise you're engine would have to be about the last thing to buy before rego.

I would definitely put forward that the 2001 LS1 motor is the same as the 2003 motor going by the casting numbers etc and that the ECU itself hasn't changed either, just the maps. Tell them you have had the 2003 map burnt into your ECU when you had the VATS disabled.

Cheers

pneall 02-08-2004 08:34 PM

Just sent email to Manager Light Vehicle Stds to find out first hand . Will keep all informed. There must be a way.

Regards,

Phil

NASSTY 02-08-2004 09:28 PM

Seems to me that it's about time all kit manufacturers & owners, be it cobra, clubmans etc, etc, started to think about setting up a lobby group to campaign for fairer ADR rules for kit cars.

When you consider that most kit cars are only weekenders & do very few kms relative to a daily driver, it seems pointless to treat kit vehicles the same. Only hardcore enthusiasts like us endeavor to undertake building our own cars. I cannot see every Tom, Dick & Harry jumping onto ADR exemptions for PCV's.

It's just like speed cameras - getting out of control. Worse still, these ADR changes could make the affordability of PCV's prohibitive; perhaps leading to manufacturers to close doors, likewise suppliers & wreckers as well. How much does this industry contribute to the economy & taxes?

We could end up with a situation like what happened in the early 80's when Keating doubled luxury car taxes - it killed sales of luxury vehicles so badly that it cost them double what they thought they would raise in lost taxes. The following year the gov. was forced to backflip.

Hopefully someone in ADR land might pull their head out of their backside long enough to see some sense.

G.R. 02-08-2004 09:35 PM

I just read thru this thread-- And "we" think we have troubles getting our cars registered here in the States--I think it takes a backseat to the hurdles you have to go thru---sheesh

Good luck to all of you!

SCOBRAC 02-08-2004 09:47 PM

Sorry you gave up your guns now mate?

cameron02 02-08-2004 10:00 PM

Leeroy,

When did you buy your chasis?

If you purchased it in 2002 then you have until 2004 to complete it and only have to meet 2002 ADRS re emmissions.

In Victoria they gave a grace period for cars currently under construction. My understanding is that NSW gave no grace period, so even if you purchased it in 2002 you have to meet the new emmision standards as of 2003.

Good Luck

Cameron

Rebel1 02-08-2004 10:39 PM

Goes to show how hypercritical polution laws are.

Look at any Brisbane City bus spewing black smoke and soot into the atmosphere.

How about our diesel trains..I've got a friend who lives next to the Shorncliffe line.....she can never get her washing clean. It may only be soot but it's still in the air.

NASSTY is right.....all the sporting auto clubs need to get their a$$e$ into gear and start flexing muscles.

Mind you, I believe Japan has such tough polution laws that cars a couple of years old wont comply and get shipped overseas.

That would be a bummer!!!

Hope you guys can find solutions to your problems without incurring major expense.

Shelby400 02-08-2004 11:56 PM

I should not have given you the engineers details. Sorry to burst the bubble:CRY:

Excaliber 02-09-2004 12:07 AM

G.R. I hear you! Even in Hawaii there are "ways" to get a car registered. But Australia sounds like a complete nightmare!

Hang in there mates!

Ernie

750hp 02-09-2004 01:19 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2459317653

Look what I found - a 1960 Austin Healey sprite that requires a rebody. Wouldn't that be convenient if you could attach your Cobra body onto the Healey chassis, and register the car that way.

Imagine - it's over 30 years old, so you register the car as a historic vehicle and only pay $170/yr registration. You wouldn't have to worry about emissions, and you wouldn't need significant engineer involvement.

All that, and the VIN number is still intact on the chassis. Bidding starts at only $100-, please form a queue to the left....

boxhead 02-09-2004 02:33 AM

Holy crap, that may put me in the same boat.

The NT Motor Vehicle Registery sat last tuesday to let me know if my car is ok to build, I even advised the year of manufacture on the engine, 2000 motor.

I should have my approval/knock back this week.

Fingers crossed they say ok to me here.

There may be 4 gen III motors for sale over the next year or so, I can talk to my spare parts manager and see what kinda deal he can get on 4 complete NEW engines.

Bryan Wilson 02-09-2004 04:40 AM

The crazy Aussie ADR's..

are only pushing up the resale value of cars already registered and on the road.
The way they are going the only way to own a Cobra will be to buy a used one.
I feel for those wanting to build in the future. :confused:
Bryan

Leeroy 02-09-2004 01:45 PM

I started my const. in 6/2003 and I bought my LS1 new at the same time from Eagle Performance here in Melb. It is from the states and I cant seem to even find an engine number. It does have #12560688 on the inlet cover but its hard to find anything else. Anyone have any clues where to find the # or is this # relevent? Let me know soon before I push it outside and put "free to go home " on it.
Leeroy

pneall 02-09-2004 02:06 PM

Leeroy,

Crate motors and bare blocks purchased from GMH dont have engine numbers. RTA gets around this by carrying out emission test if no engine number available that confirms year of manufacture.

All sounds a bit odd as emissions are related to computer tune although cam could make difference but dont know if these changed from 2000 till now. More homework needed.

In NSW RTA wanted another years grace to let projects already started to be completed. However the EPA would not agree. Looks like its time to make local members life hell!!

:CRY: :CRY: Regards, Phil

ledge 02-09-2004 02:28 PM

You guys might have to move here to SA all you need here is the motor to be ADR-37 compliant and most engines built after 1990 will be ok to use in SA . I too will be useing a GEN3 but i got mine out of a VX R8 so it already has passed aussie rules . I suppose that may be the catch with getting a motor from the states .