Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2004, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default $25K to spend on a daily driver - what would you buy?

I'm getting sick of the fuel mileage that my 5.0L AU3 Ute is getting, and am thinking about getting rid of it. I love having a ute, for the times that I need to carry larger loads than would otherwise be possible, but I'm driving about 80 kilometres per day and I hate spending too much on fuel. My weekend cars can use as much as they like, but not the daily driver.....

So - what to buy??? I want a fairly new car (up to 5 years old), air conditioned, not necessarily fast, but MUST be fun to drive. Roof optional, good fuel economy vital, and reliable. Mid $20s price point.

Any ideas?

Last edited by 750hp; 02-13-2004 at 03:12 AM..
Old 02-13-2004, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default daily driver

drives great ,goes like stink ,very good fuel economy and a bit of a reputation, my girlfriends 9yr old car cost $17,000 ,so for around 25k you pick up a 2000 model , WRX . ,,, now if i had to pick up some heads i could bring it over and show you ,,, just kidding .. ... happy hunting...
Old 02-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Lots of excellent deals on CORVETTES right now. You can pick up a "C5" 'Vette in your price range, probably in the '99-00 years, especially now that the C6 has been announced (the C5 guys are hating life as prices plummet).

If you don't mind going a little older, you can find (in your price range) a very low miles '96 "C4" Corvette with the 330HP (grossly underrated) LT4 engine with 6-speed ZF tranny. The C4's outhandle the C5's by a pretty good margin and are a blast to drive. I had a '93 for almost 5 years and it was my daily driver until two months ago.....that's when I bought my Cobra and I couldn't keep both. Alas, I did manage to squeeze a few photographs of them side by side (see photo album).

Good luck in your search...I'm now driving a pick-up truck until I can absorb the Cobra.

EDIT: I might add that the fuel economy on these cars is not that bad, so long as you stay off the loud pedal. And despite their complexity, I found mine to be super reliable.

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 02-13-2004 at 10:58 AM..
Old 02-13-2004, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4780...after 19 months finally in Vegas. Now, if they can get the paint right :(
Send a message via Yahoo to ff2_emtb
Not Ranked     

Yea, what cob460 said. Killer deals on WRX from 2003 right now....fast, all wheel drive, stealthy, good mileage, blast to drive.....and, like Club Cobra, there is www.ClubWRX.net to tell ya how to make it faster and better. Ya think some of the Cobra owners are nuts, check some of the ClubWRX members.

T.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mitsubishi Evo VIII
Easy mid 20s lightly used.
0-60 in 5, .95 on skid, handles like a dream and gets more stable the faster you go. AWD, so handles all conditions well. (my daily driver...)
Old 02-14-2004, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies, but I'm in Australia and $25K wouldn't go anywhere near buying a C4 Vette or an EVO Lancer. Shame....

Mick - what sort of mileage do you get from the Rexxie? How about insurance?
Old 02-14-2004, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default wrx

Craig, we get about 11klms per ltr of premium unleaded, newer models maybe even better , and as for insurance $1100 for a female under 40, with nrma . .. cheers mick.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Would a Mini Cooper be of interest. I test drove one a couple of weeks ago. LOTS of fun to drive - sticks like glue. Not exactly cobra acceleration :-) but snappy. Very comfortable seats. About your price range with good gas mileage.
Steve
Old 02-14-2004, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

I'm going to echo Steve... take a good hard look (and drive) in a MINI Cooper S. I don't know how much they cost down-under, but $25k will get you a new one here in the States.

I bought one last October and have been having a blast with it ever since. Lots of room on the inside (I'm 6'4", 265lbs and fit fine). Handles like a gocart.

Who is John Galt?

Last edited by petek; 02-14-2004 at 05:08 PM..
Old 02-14-2004, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Ditto on the Mini.....great value and fun!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default ...same question

I've been contemplating the same thing myself recently and how confusing it is to be out there looking once again. Just want to spare my weekend driver and get a nice daily driver with good value. So many new cars and changes in just the last couple of years. Also... looking at the best used car values under 20K. Recently test drove a Mazdas/RX8, used Acura 3.2TL / 3.5RL, used Infinity Q45. Starting too look at Audis, Passats, what else? Even started looking at Mercury Grand Marquis' and Lincoln LS for the rear wheel drive aspect and cheap used pricing...

Any good used recommendations out there other than a Corvette or a Mustang in the under 20K/used range...,? something with:

- 2-door or 4-Door
- Under 20K, USED.
- Rear wheel drive (preferred)
- 220+ horsepower
- Comfortable seats
- Good reliability
- Sport type version?
Old 02-15-2004, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Well Craig....

The choice is endless, but what is common with all the suggestions to date is keep the power within a budget.

I went through just the same issue - conserve fuel during the week and don't give a damn at the weekend.

I went for an Echo (at $16,000 on the road new) and only fill up once a month - what more do you want (OK, quite a bit).

Excellent for parking - nipping here, nipping there.

Having a Cobra, Landcruiser and now the echo, I can cover all extremes of motoring.

You're welcome for a test drive only don't expect to leave rubber when exiting the drive!

Seriously, this thing cruises at 120 kph with a twin cam 1.3L engine.

I would have gone for the mini, but at $35,000 new what was the point. The money I saved I can empty into the bottomless snake pit.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Craig,

I'll have to agree with Peter. My daily driver is a Honda civic. When I went to Goulburn for the Cobra Nats, I went in convoy with a falcon towing a Cob and a Mach 2 Mustang. Both those cars filled up twice (700kms) on the way up compared to me filling up once (45 ltr tank).

Mind you, that was the ONLY comp I won all weekend!

Cheers

Last edited by NASSTY; 02-15-2004 at 04:54 PM..
Old 02-15-2004, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1 word.
Toyota Soarer.
Nuff Said.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2020, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Sad day for me but alas I have sold my Cobra. I found this old thread so I thought about a sort of daily driver. But more comfortable than the Cobra. I really like the look of the 2008 Mercedes SLK 200. It has the formula 1 looking front end, a collapsible steel roof, air con etc. You can pick one up for as little as $12000. JD
Old 09-20-2020, 06:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

987 Porsche Boxster or Cayman.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hyundai Excel sub $1k and the balance on your real cars. Beauty is only a light switch away Craig! (oh that saying reminds me of my single days on the GC! LOL)
Old 09-21-2020, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Lots of suggestions here. I'd avoid Porsche and Audi, as the repair bills will more than offset the fuel savings, you'd be better off keeping the truck. You had mentioned open, so I'll throw in Miata, S2000, and MR2.
I prefer a truck, have you considered a HiLux diesel?
Old 09-21-2020, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Sad day for me but alas I have sold my Cobra. I found this old thread so I thought about a sort of daily driver. But more comfortable than the Cobra. I really like the look of the 2008 Mercedes SLK 200. It has the formula 1 looking front end, a collapsible steel roof, air con etc. You can pick one up for as little as $12000. JD

Nice looking car, they are comfortable and the retractable roof is a plus. Mercs are expensive to repair but if you're looking for a daily beater and can trade it off, if a repair bill gets too high this would be it.

Some are under $7-10k US.

https://www.cars.co.za/searchVehicle...=vfs_price&P=2
Jaydee likes this.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

You do realize that the original post was from Australia as was the subsequent follow up. The answers are way different "down under".