Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   rego number (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/53541-rego-number.html)

cob460 05-08-2004 04:41 AM

rego number

Do any of you guys know the where abouts of a cobra with NSW no plate SB 169 ?? reason is , i have a old AMPOL poster with this cobra in it , the cobra is at a ampol bowser with some guy filling it and something about ampol being Australian owned .

750hp 05-09-2004 02:07 AM

Mick - I'm pretty sure that it was an early Robnell. It was also featured in the TV commercial at the same time. BEAUTIFUL sound as it drove away from the camera....

Where is it now? No idea.... You planning on buying it to get back into a Cobra soon?!?

Chris D 05-09-2004 03:48 PM

rego number (Ampol Cobra)

Thanks for this post. I reckon there's a bunch of Cobra owners in Australia and perhaps NZ (that now own Cobras or kits) that drooled over this Ampol advertisement when it was shown on TV. Does anyone have a date for it? I reckon early '80's. I'll try contacting Ampol to get a copy of the tape of the ad'. If I have any luck, I'll endeavour to get a copy to each (Australian) state for their Club meeting or whatever.
So who recalls the ad' and who quietly vowed that "One day I'm going to have one just like that!"

NASSTY 05-09-2004 04:03 PM

I remember that ad - awesome :D

"Me gotta get one of 'em!"

That was before I even had a license! :LOL:

Cheers

pneall 05-10-2004 07:42 PM

A mate of mine works for Ampol/Calltex and he has promised to find out if the tape still exists. Will let you know if I am successful in obtaining copy.

Phil

BMK 05-20-2004 01:39 AM

1980' - 1970's

:confused:

Can remember the Coke Cobras from Sydney?? but cannot recall the Cobra and the Ampol add.

Funny I can remember the Hot Rod "T" bucket in the "Hey Charger" television commercial.

%/

Would be great to see a copy of it.

Cheers

Bernie

Sloth 05-20-2004 02:52 AM

I even painted mine the same colour (from my memory... i must have been all of 12 years old)!!!

That add has cost me a fortune so far..

pneall 05-20-2004 08:34 PM

Hi Sloth,

Good to see you posting again. How long before your back on the road. Mine is still with the alcoholic anoymous exhaust pipe shop.
All registered and I still cant drive it. Driving me crazy... then again you must feel as bad if not worse.

Regards,

Phil

Shelby400 05-20-2004 09:23 PM

Phil

How long has it been in the exhaust shop?

pneall 05-20-2004 10:21 PM

Brett,

Three weeks so far. Last Tuesday they said they were ready to start,. Will see tomorrow.

Only advantage is I get to use their hoist on weekends.

Their work is good but they dont treat these jobs as bread and butter only as fill in. $$ dont look like fill in though.

It will probably end in tears:CRY:

Phil:mad:

Shelby400 05-20-2004 11:52 PM

Phil
I sought of got that impression of those guys myself.

BMK 05-21-2004 12:58 AM

Shelby400

Just replied to a question regarding the fitting of my doors on the Homebush via email. Just popped up out of now where with a March date on it - anyway.

I had a ton of trouble fitting the doors and made new brackets and cut the support all up.

%/

Just for what its worth. Additionally the doors are also in need of serious work as well. Guess it is a kit!!

Cheers

Bernie

number 1 cobra 06-11-2009 05:31 AM

thats my car

Quote:

Originally Posted by cob460 (Post 471477)
Do any of you guys know the where abouts of a cobra with NSW no plate SB 169 ?? reason is , i have a old AMPOL poster with this cobra in it , the cobra is at a ampol bowser with some guy filling it and something about ampol being Australian owned .

hi mate i have owned for ten years the number 1 cobra built by Robnell and Caroll Shelby about 25 plus years ago and was owned by Rene Rivkin before me...i have been looking for the poster for years and the actual Ampol ad would be amazing to see...can you help me ??? please email me to pubs@lordpublican.com.au cheers

macloft 06-11-2009 07:33 PM

Oh boy
You own the icon cobra and a pub (pubs@lordpublican.com.au)**):eek:
Now thats heaven
Well done
Bruce

stefanog 06-11-2009 10:25 PM

Number 1 Cobra,

From memory I think your car was built in 1987, I too have a copy of the poster and yes, I was one of those that drooled over the car and absolutely freaked when the ad came on. I think the song used in that ad was called "I don't want a lover" by TEXAS, the begining of the song where a guitar is played. If anyone remembers that ad, youtube the song, visualise the commercial (Cobra getting filled up at the Ampol servo) and feel it all over again! :3DSMILE:

Number 1 Cobra,

You met a couple of dudes in Robnells at a BP servo a couple of months back, the Silver one was me. We spoke of a get together sometime, how about it? Get the cobwebs out! :D

Stef

Tenrocca 06-11-2009 11:19 PM

Im pretty sure the add was out about 1990-91 - they had a competition to win the "ampol dream machine" - I think it is one of the few competitions of the sort I have ever entered. That add started it for me. :)

OZCOBRA 06-11-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenrocca (Post 957425)
That add started it for me. :)

Did it for me as well it all started there ,I have one of the original Posters with the Robnell in the Ampol!!:cool:

Rob. Smith 06-12-2009 04:04 AM

YUP ! I spent $302.00 in entry submissions and won nuthin. I became good friends with the local Ampol dealer. As usual the prize went to a melbournian.

BJ's Snake 06-12-2009 04:28 AM

Yep, started it for me as well. Ordered the Franklin Mint Cobra out of the TV Week straight after. Just took 20 years to forefill the dream to reality.
Cheers
Brett

number 1 cobra 06-12-2009 05:44 AM

can any one send me a copy of the poster (a shot of it) via email
im happy to actually buy the original....pubs@lordpublican.com.au

you will all be happy to know i have been offered a fortune for the car over the past few years and have NEVER even thought about selling it....even as far away as the USA have wanted it.

rgds

Alex