Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-02-2004, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Default 3.9 hydratrak Diff conversion

Hi All,

lately I've been working on adapting a 3.9 Hydratrak diff center from a Holden VU GTS. It looked like a pretty straight forward conversion when I started but it's proven to be a fair bit of work.

My original researched showed me that the Holden and ford housings were similar as were the internals. the back cover has the same bolt patern and the exles have the same spline. So I figured swap the Ford back cover onto the Holden housing, weld a new front mount onto the chassis and pop the Ford axles into the Holden center.

Nothing is ever so simple....

It turns out the Hydratrack runs a different axle so I couldn't use my Ford drive shafts as their axles are part of the CV joint. I almost gave up at this point.

After much thinking and measuring I found that I could adapt up some Holden drive shafts and get the whole thing working. The Holden IRS have used the same style of CV joint for the last 10 years but they have used a few different drive shaft lengths. I found drive shafts from 2 different models that matched close for length the long and short drive shafts in the ford rear end. The CVs on the Ford rear are combined into wheel hub spline as well as the diff axle spline. I machined off the Ford CV at the Hub and machined up some flanges to suit the Holden CVs and welded them on. There's no suspension loads on these flanges only drive loads so I wasn't woried about the strength of the weld.

I had to recess the cross member in front of the diff to make clearance for the front mount. The new mount is made from 8mm plate and provides ample reinforcement for the slimmed down cross member. I cut down some nolothan suspension bushes for the front mount in much the same way as I did my gearbox cross members.

the last headache was the fill plug for the diff. the Holden diff housing has the fill plug in the back cover but the Ford has the fill plug down near the pinion. I machined the ford back cover and fitted a fill plug. I then had to drill and sleeve the rear cross member so I could get at it with a socket wrench.

It's all done now, I just have to pull it appart clean, paint and reassemble it.

There's some pics in my gallery:

Diff conversion 1
Diff conversion 2
Diff conversion 3

The next job is the fuel system.

Cheers

Old 06-02-2004, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Unhappy ??

EH,

HOW COME THAT FILLER PLUG'S NOT CENTRE OF THE HOLE...

Standards Mike, Stardards
Old 06-02-2004, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

must control self.... must not react... must remain calm... he's just stiring me up...

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2004, 11:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Better

HOW COME THAT FILLER PLUG'S NOT CENTRE OF THE HOLE...

Standards Mike, Stardards

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Mike

must control self.... must not react... must remain calm... he's just stiring me up...

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

You better get that motion for free beer passed at tonight's meeting Garret, sounds as though it might be needed

Cool work on your diff Mike

Last edited by NASSTY; 06-02-2004 at 11:18 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: