Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   ADR law regarding chrome bezels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/59956-adr-law-regarding-chrome-bezels.html)

boxhead 12-23-2004 05:39 PM

ADR law regarding chrome bezels

Hello again to everyone
I was talking today with some of the techs and I was telling them about haveing to cover the chrome on the gauge bezels and around the windscreen frame.
They asked why and I said to meet current adr requirments, then 1 of the Toyota techs said that the current model 100 series gxl landcruiser has chrome bezels and also chrome mirrors, I went and had a look at 1 and sure enough they do.
So does that mean that since a current vehicle being sold in Australia with the chrome surrounds and mirrors passes adrs then the Cobra's should aswell?

Batman 12-23-2004 07:38 PM

I suppose it's always worth bringing this sort of detail to the attention of those who say yes or no. Having never been in your situation I'm not sure of how much is too much information.
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt your cause to use it as a defense.

There was a post a little while ago about a member pleased to see the new Monaro with front facing scoops (2 of 'em to be exact) so that bolstered the argument for Cobs

Cheers
Batman

Edley Rondinone 12-23-2004 07:51 PM

Why would you have to cover the chrome rings on your instrument gauge bezels? Glare?

boxhead 12-23-2004 07:54 PM

Yeah I knew about the bonnet scoops and that is why I was asking.
Does anyone actually know what the ADR says (word for word)?

Has anyone heard if the Monaro bonnet scoop issue made a difference with ADR's?

Rebel1 12-24-2004 02:22 AM

Edley....yep...it's to reduce glare.

we even have to "blacken out" the drivers side of our chrome screens to prevent glare.

Wots got me buggered is...... We have yet to find a coating that stays on for any longer than a week after the inspection. :LOL:

mr0077 12-24-2004 03:44 AM

Hmmm, seems like you need to start looking for a coating that will stay on for less time (an hour or so ?) after the inspection, not more time! Or, find something you can apply and then remove after the inspection?
Best bet is to point out that an approved manufactured vehicle has them...someone over there is getting drunk with their power over you...

Alvin 12-24-2004 04:39 AM

bonnet scopes

Hi all
Regarding the bonnet scope they say that the Monaro bonnet has had a crash test where as the Ac cobras havent.....

Well thats what l heard around the traps

Alvin

Ps Merry christmas to all!!!!!

Ant 12-24-2004 04:59 AM

ADR Sucks

Your ADR people are full of sh*t, and we have pricks here who are the same!

The secret when certifying a vehicle is to go to someone who is for our hobbie, and not against it, like I have! Glare on a windscreen absolute rubbish what about all the old vintage cars why not ban them, thats the mentality!

Gee what about in Auckland:
First NO "Supercar racing"
now the residents want "Western Springs speedway to stay at 85 decibels and they cant run, and the fans are going home 85db just doesnt cut it, we have groups of people in our countries who are going overboard, but they seem to be calling the shots!

BAN big rugby matches they make more noise at times, Ban music bands that come - to noisy!

I reckon if this keeps going all it will need is someone to get killed in a Cobra and more rules, more rules.
People are starting to say enough "we want to have fun" Greenies and assholes in positions of power bring in more modern safety rules which in effect make it impossibly difficult for old technology to comply, or the real issue they need to justify the salarys they are paid, in the pursuit of, wait for it its the biggie BS statement
"SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT AND IF IT SAVES ONE PERSONS LIFE, ITS WORTH IT"
Crap,
I feel better now!

ledge 12-24-2004 02:33 PM

What is funny is you dont need to have a windscreen or even a roll bar on your cobra to get through but you are not allowed to have 4 point harnesses no you would think if it is a safety thing there would be changes there hey

Paul

Rebel1 12-25-2004 04:58 AM

Ken ( mr0077 ) I was jesting....actually...many cobra owners will just use a black insulation tape over the chrome and remove it immediately after the inspection. ;)

Thats what I was getting at in my own silly humor sorta way. :LOL:

mr0077 12-25-2004 06:09 AM

Les, do the morons that require the anti-glare stuff or the local Gestapo give you guys a hard time after inspection, once the anti-glare "mysteriously" wears off?
And the idea that 4-point harnesses are not allowed is just a BIT strange too. On what grounds are the 4-points not allowed? The "Because I said so" rule?
But, worry not, you just know that they're just looking out for YOU, protecting you from yourself...just like here in the States.

badrich 12-25-2004 11:11 AM

Gentlemen: The California DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) gets a lot of raps here on Club Cobra, and sometimes for good reason (although they have treated me fairly), but the bureaucracy down under sounds really awful. Has anyone put 'roo bars on their Cobra yet? :D I have 5-point harnesses on my beast, but I recommend that passengers only use the lap belt, due to my "original" roll bar (hoop) that would protect only *my* noggin should we end up upside down. That may be their reasoning for the passenger's side, but I have no idea why they would nix the harness for the driver. But try as they may, they can't stop us from having fun! :JEKYLHYDE Rich

ledge 12-25-2004 02:23 PM

Im pretty sure that you are not allowed to have harnesses because they do not self adjust, and also the average person would not know how to undo them so if you where in a stack and nearly dead the first few people on the seen may not be able to get you out , But even if you use the new 4 points with the standard seat belt latch they are still not self adjusting

Paul

Ant 12-25-2004 03:15 PM

Harnesses etc

Down here in NZ, they are about to bring in a harness that doesn't need to have an authority card, I think its the 2" buckle type Racing harness that Willans and Luke in the UK manufacture has the European R16-04 standard. Motorsport NZ has made it so all the SFI (USA) has to be sent back to the Manufacturer to have the webbing redone - 2 year expiry, and then the FIA Harness has a 5 year expiry.

One reason is people neglect to put the full harness on, and the buckles are a bit complicated for some. But as above they are going to allow buckle type harness, and as far as I am concerned that will be okay in my car

Rebel1 12-26-2004 03:25 AM

Ken, The harness question has been answered.

The question re the gestapo giving us a hard time after inspection is, in general they dont.

However, we have a mutiple layer enforcement structure.

By that I'm saying that we have the police who generally leave you alone as long as you're behaving. Sometime they may pull you over for a look. Most police I find are to some extent petrol heads anyways so they appreciate a nice car.

Then we have the dept of transport. These are the dudes who administer the registration, inspection, collection of fines etc., these are are the dudes who enforce the safety aspect of car ownership and eventually sign off the registration..

Now they set the rules and are reasonably easy to deal with as long as you follow the rules (read ADR's). However, they have a bunch of low lifes working for them who travel around pulling trailers decked out to check brakes etc and they'll set up shop on the side of any road in the state. ( usually in conjuction with the police).

They'll pull up any vehicle which they fancy and go over it with a fine tooth comb. They have the power to sideline your car immediately if the deem it to be unroadworthy.

Many of these fellas are not a bad bunch ( read petrol heads) but they do have a disproportionate number of inspectors who for one reason or another enjoy giving folks a hard time.

Having said that, I've been passenger in a cob which was supposed to have a 302W but was fitted with a 351W. They didn't pick the difference between the motors. The same car was fitted with approved tyres(tires) but they were mounted on illegal rims not stamped with an ADR approval...they didn't pick that either.

So I guess it's a bit of pot luck being pulled over by these guys as you may, or may not, get an inspector who is actually a mechanic and knows the rules a bit more than others.

Cheers

cameron02 01-03-2005 06:46 PM

Hi Boxhead,

I have not read all the replys but my understanding of the ADR's is that the "no chrome inside" rule applies to convertables only.

David Hodgson 01-04-2005 03:58 PM

Boxhead
I dug out my copy of the ADR's and ADR 12 lists items like wiper arms, internal w/screen mouldings, steering wheel, internal mirror, that are in the field of view - which is within a cone of vision with an included angle at apex of 40 degrees and its axis horizontal and
parrallel to vehicle, where the apex starts between the drivers eyes ( there is also a standard on where the drivers eyes are located for measuring purposes).

In effect these items must not cause glare or reflection, but it does not mention instruments, however these items are exempt if mounted below the lowest point of light entry, or are "so located that external light cannot be reflected to drivers eye position".

That last quote pretty much gives them a good argument to disallow chrome bezels.

The antiglare does not need to be black, just have a "specular gloss level" of less than that specified.

But again its up to whether you can convince the engineer and or authorities

boxhead 01-04-2005 07:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, sound like the fact the cobra has no roof is what is going to can the idea.
I will be checking out all the different convertables that we have comeing in
Maybe there will be a mr2 or honda that will have chrome trims.

David Hodgson 01-04-2005 08:44 PM

I remember a couple of years ago, '99 or 2000, the QLDer's jumped on the fact that a version of the MG-F had chrome instrument bezels. Might be a precedent.

Sloth 01-05-2005 02:52 AM

mmm. my Harley has heaps of chrome shiney stuff above the apex....