Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 03:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Default Dashing in Red

Hi All,

I've been working pretty steady on the Cobra to hopefully have it going for the Shelby Fest at Easter.

I hit a bit of a milestone when I got the dash done yesterday. It's taken a bit of mucking around. I've had to re-do all of the mounts on the chassis hoop since they didn't fit in with my guage layout.

I'm pretty happy with how the layout works and you can see the speedo and tacho clearly from the drivers position. I've always liked the layout on the AC Ace with the triangle of smaller guages so I've tried to incorporate it. All the switch gear is on the steering column which makes for a clean looking dash. The only switch is for the heater fan and there's a starter button too.

Eventually I want to get the dash uhpolstered in red leather like some of the Aces were along with red leather seats and red carpet. I the mean time I've sprayed the dash with wrinkle finish red paint. It's come up quite good and is I reckon is a nice finish for the interim. I might do the door panels with this too.

All the red might sound a bit much but I reckon that it'll work in well with the paint scheme. Plus I'm looking forward to not burning my butt on a black leather seat on a hot day.

The body comes off again tomorrow morning so I can finish the fuel system and fit the clutch and flywheel.

Here's a couple of pics of the dash.

The guages are by Autometer and measure 5" for the speedo and tacho and 2 5/8" for the rest. The top three are liquid filled full sweep mechanical guages. I reckon they look cool with a the air bubble in the top.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 01-29-2005 at 03:11 AM..
Old 01-29-2005, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Talking Cheating

Now Sir Mike, your theory in painting everything RED to make it go faster might just have to be reserved until you fire it up, but it looks the part, well done.

That reminds me to bring back that part to you that kindly lent me, might have to be later today as i'll paint it RED to help with your if its red it goes faster, hey just thinking thats why the Ford logo is Blue ...

Bugger so is the Chev one, there goes that theory...

Will ring first, see you later.

Garrett

Last edited by justbetter; 01-29-2005 at 03:53 PM..
Old 01-30-2005, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hey there Mike, it sure does look like your getting some work done.
I have been thinking alot recently about doing my dash in black wrinkle finish, your pics only help my decision makeing easier (where did you buy the paint from)?
It has been too hot here recently to go out to the shed (well over 42 degrees every day this week)
If you have the time, soon after the easter Cobra meeting I will order some side pipes from you and a second pair of outer covers.

Keep up the good work and get that car completed for easter.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, Shift kitted auto, high stall, AU LSD rear.
Not Ranked     

I realy like the look Mike, I thought the autometer guages looked great in white when I saw them in your gallery when they were first fitted.
I have been staring at the dash in my car wondering how to neaten the lip on the edge. Are you going to have a trim of some type?
The wrinkle finish you have used does have that real race look.
I look forward to hopefully seeing you and your car at easter.

Gav.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Bluddy thing is doin 500 RPM's and you not even started it.

Damn...these ch...ermm...che......ahmm...chev things must be good

Oi Uncle Mike...what's the circular polished thingys unda the dash?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I think it is a hole in the firewall there Les.
That looks like the back of a cylinder head to me through the hole.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No problem on the pipes David but I definitely can't start till after Easter.

I picked up the wrinkle paint from Auto Barn. It's made by VHT and goes for about $15 per can and it's available in Black, Red or Grey. I reckon Black would look spot on with your Yellow paint work.

Gav, Doing the printed pictures of the guages really helped me with the layout and the decision on which guages to buy. You can try different guages an stick them on in different positios till your happy with it. The dash panel is one of Ian's fiberglass ones and has a rounded edge on the bottom. It'll do for the moment but I'll probably look at tidying it up a bit more when I finally get it trimmed in leather.

Les, The silver things just under the top edge are the bolts that hold the dash in place. I machined thick washers from billet aluminium and polished them. They have an 8mm stainless countersunk head screw in the center. I machine the shoulders off the countersunk screws and it gives them a nice shape. I did the same thing on the smaller ones that hold the steering wheel on.

The hole is where the engine loom comes through the just inside top of the tunnel. It makes for a neater looking wiring loom in the engiine bay. Once it's carpeted and loomed up properly you'll hardly notice it inside the car.

Cheers

Old 01-30-2005, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Looks good Mike. Your on track for the Shelby then..

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 01-30-2005, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

looking good Mike!
Old 01-30-2005, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Looks great Mike, itll be good to see everything at Easter.

Regards.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down WHAT DO YOU CHARGE AN HOUR AGAIN

The dash looks great,the triangle effect is quite different.

Stiffy signing off from New Caledonia,,,,, bloody hot nad no COBRA.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, Shift kitted auto, high stall, AU LSD rear.
Not Ranked     

Mike I actually meant the lip of the scuttle on top of the dash, or where the body ends over the dash. I spoke to Ian and he usually just paints the underside of the scuttle in satin black and leaves the edge as is and said you don't notice it. I can see it annoying the piss out of me.
I spoke to a bloke about laminating the dash for me and I am now leaning towards making a trim and having the same timber laminate on it.
Any thoughts?
Gav
Old 02-01-2005, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes that raw edge annoys me a bit too. I've been thinking I'll back fill the edge with a strip of foam and fiberglass it. Then I'll shape it into an nice rounded return on the lip right along the edge. The dash panel will still tuck up under where it is now. Hopefully give the effect of where an aluminium body has the edge rolled around a tube along that edge.

Cheers