Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Windscreen Broke (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/61889-windscreen-broke.html)

pneall 02-24-2005 03:24 PM

Windscreen Broke

Went to say goodbye to the Cobra this morning:rolleyes: and noticed windscreen cracked from top to bottom.

No apparent chips and crack dosent align with any holding screws.

Might have had something to do with the track day as the chassis got a good work out.

The screen is covered by (no excess) Shannons and O'Brien glass can get the screen so no dramas.

I was thinking that I should loosen up on the bolts holding the widscreen legs to the chassis bracing so that twisting of the chassis is not transferred to the screen.

Is there another way of mounting the screen in the rubber ??

I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Phil:D

Leeroy 02-24-2005 05:57 PM

At least you dont know how yours happened. Fitting the windwings recently and you guessed it screwed in too far and "crack" Crack went about 3" down, rang everywhere to get crack filled but nobody wanted to know about a cobra screen. Then I found a local guy who had owned a Robnell here in Melb that repairs screens and he was happy to help. Spent about 2hours getting it right and charged me $50 it was xmas eve also. He said its a pretty big job to change screen as the frame has to be dismantled etc.:( Hope you dont have any dramas with it
Leeroy

pneall 02-24-2005 06:22 PM

Leeroy,

Obriens quoted $1700 for replacement glass. Ian will do it for less than a third of that:D :D Gotta look after Shannons.

Phil

Aussie Mike 02-24-2005 06:50 PM

$1700!! You would want them to be replacing the screen, frame, wind wings and sun visors for that.

Time for an Aero screen for track work Phil.

Cheers

Rebel1 02-24-2005 07:41 PM

Phil, Given that the screen is fitted properly. ie. not touching the body anywhere, and you have not compressed the mounting legs in any way, then two things you should look at.

1. When the glass is removed have a look at how far the screws thru the side uprights go into the screen frame. Knock the ends off on a grinder if they protrude and may touch the glass.

2. Consider mounting the glass in urethane, not the rubber sections which come with the screen.

More than likely the side screws are touching the glass somewhere.

Cheers

pneall 02-24-2005 07:47 PM

Les,

Thanks for tips. I will certainly give it a good look over. I dont want a repeat. Also plan to mount legs of frame with rubber spacer in lieu of the aluminium ones. This may take some of the movement out.

Enjoy your weekend.

Rick Parker 02-24-2005 11:35 PM

Last Fall I had a similar situation happen. I had driven the car with 2 people in it over some uneven foothill roads on a relatively warm day. It was not cracked the evening when I parked it, I am sure of that. However the following morning it was cracked right down the center, top to bottom. In retrospect it is touching the cowl on two places both left and right of center. I was somewhat miffed as previously I had driven the car 10 years without any windshield issues. It is on my list of things to fix this Spring.

Rick

boxhead 02-25-2005 12:07 AM

I have also seen customers cars windows crack and shatter from sudden temperature changes.

Car sitting in the sun all day then gets parked in a cool shed or garage.

Rebel1 02-25-2005 01:36 AM

Thats why the urethane sealer is better than the rubber section they insert between the glass and the frame.

The main advantage is the glass maintains its natural shape and the sealer fills in the gaps. The glass is not being forced to the shape of the frame which is the case when they jamb that rubber section in.

Stressed glass will always break mysteriously.

Cheers

BMK 02-25-2005 01:46 PM

Phil

Bryan Wilson recently replaced his glass through a Geelong screen shop. Perhaps give him a PM and see what he did.

I can recal that it was simple and very cheap as the screen was an off the shelf.

Bernie

RACER X #99 02-25-2005 03:06 PM

Serious track time can definately crack any glass windshield. I suggest you replace it with scratchproof Lexan if your gonna do a lot a track time.
If your laws don't allow Lexan than you will have to get used to replacing the glass from time to time. Or stay away from the racetrack.

RD

BMK 02-25-2005 03:15 PM

Phil,

Do you run one of the tension rods through the centre of the screen?

I found it stopped flex at higher speed..**)

Bernie

pneall 02-27-2005 01:43 PM

Bernie,

Yes I am running centre stay.

Will you make it for the Shelby Fest? It would be good to catch up.

My Cobra is going and handling much better than Wakefield so I am looking forward to the fun at Winton.

pneall 03-15-2005 09:35 PM

I dont believe it. Picked up new screen in frame yesterday. Went to install it last night and guess what... its cracked:CRY: :CRY: :CRY:

Getting new one today:D :D also getting paranoid about QA on screens.

Phil

Rebel1 03-15-2005 11:26 PM

Phil, Let me tell you a story.

I have two screens.....The first one I bought from RMC as a frame only. I purchased the glass screen from the Brisbane head office of a nation wide supplier.

On day of delivery I turned up to collect and while they were putting the screen into the back of my daily driver it cracked.

Off they went and installed a new glass.....Next day, I'm back to collect and guess what....same thing happened.

Third day,,,guess what....same again...that was now three screens which cracked without any load at all.

Long story short.....urethane..the problem was traced down to that rubber section they force between the frame and the glass.

Both my screens now have urethane rather than the runner extrusion.

pneall 03-16-2005 01:42 PM

Les,

What you say makes a lot of sense( just like the tie wire).

Where do I get the urethane from? How do you apply it.

Thanks,

Rebel1 03-16-2005 01:55 PM

Phil, Nothing special about the stuff. It's used to fit most modern windscreens.

Just ask the fella who fits the glass to use urethane. He may know it by another name.

My second screen came from Don Pilling and it's an option Don provides.

Cheers

pneall 03-17-2005 05:17 PM

Found the real reason or at least a major factor the windscreen broke. The person who installed the frame originally managed to preload the bottom of the frame where the centre mount attaches:CRY:

I redrilled the bracket and it all now fits without any preload:D :D

Will look at urethane mounting after Winton weekend.

Only 6 sleeps to go:D :D

Rebel1 03-17-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pneall

Found the real reason or at least a major factor the windscreen broke. The person who installed the frame originally managed to preload the bottom of the frame where the centre mount attaches:CRY:
Just can't get good help today hey? ;)

Did his name start with "P" ?. :D

pneall 03-17-2005 05:59 PM

Les, No! ( not this time) it starts with I.:CRY: and I paid for the privalege.

Can't be bitter lifes too short:D :D

How can you be sad when you own a Cobra:D :D

This morning was fun in the rain. Almost found out what colour adrenalin is.

Phil:D :) :)