Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2005, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking at buying a cobra in NSW - Questions

Hi guys! I've been looking at buying a cobra for ages to keep the mustang company. I've found a couple that I am interested in and will be looking at ASAP.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Both cars have been started being built, will this affect what ADRs they have to comply with? What proof do I need of when they started building them?

2) One car has jag suspension, one has torana + commodore diff. Is the jag suspension a better setup? By what sort of margin?

3) What engines are options for registration currently in nsw? Are 5lt fords still ok?

4) Are snake bite kits ok? Are they DRB kits rebadged? I am told one is on a space frame which I assume is good.

5) What sort of thing should I look out for when buying one?

6) Who are you using for an engineer? Can anyone put me onto someone good (ie reasonable to deal with in building a cobra?)

Many thanks.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hi ! I'm glad you found this place. There are owners of basically every kit ever produced in Australia, so you should get some balanced information. As far as the NSW legalities, there will be others better able to help there. As far as the kits available, I'll stick my head out and say that the most popular kits currently offered are the Harrison (Cobra Kits), and Classic Revival. Classic Revival seem to building heaps of kits with the LS1 Chev motor. Harrson kits in Qld seem to pop up with Lexus motors as the weapon of choice, and the kit has absolutely nothing to do with DRB. Totally different chassis / body shape / suspension.

I don't have a Harrison or Classic Revival, and I don't have an LS1 or Lexus V8, so I'm just commenting on the trends as I see them.

What type of Stang is currently in the garage?

Last edited by 750hp; 04-20-2005 at 04:02 AM..
Old 04-20-2005, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So am I! The forums were a wealth of info about mustangs so I am hoping for the same thing here.

What sort of kit was yours? Are there any major problem areas you've heard about in people buying these cars?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I know the EPA are having a bit of a clampdown on Cobras in Victoria, which has had an impact on some unfortunate owners. I haven't heard of any wide scale targeting of Cobras in NSW.

As far as problems in buying - if you look at worst case scenario (having to comply with latest regs regardless of when build started), it's a simple matter of weighing up the cost / hassle, with the finished product. If you're prepared to go to the trouble, you can have a great little sports car for a reasonable outlay. From there, it's a matter of a phone call to one of the manufacturers to place the order. Their kits are already beaming / torsion tested, and have completed land change and brake testing etc. If you buy an orphan or have a chassis custom built, you'd want to have deep pockets for the extra engineering requirements. Buying an unfinished kit might prove to be false economy.

Craig
Old 04-22-2005, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Noone knows the answers to these questions??
Old 04-23-2005, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

OK. Ill have a go but I probably the least qualified here to

1) My understanding is that if the build has comenced before this year, then it need only comply with the ADR on emmisions prior to what came in this year (79/03). Theres a few people in here part way through their builds that have been given a grace period in which to finsih their cars. Im not sure how to prove when the build commenced though.

2) My gut feel is that the jag is a better setup. I wouldnt discount the torana\commodore rear though, by the looks of things there quite a few cars our there with this setup.

3) Biased again, but the Ls1\ls2 is the best option. the 5.4 ford is allowed, but due to its size theres not many chassis that will fit it (unless you only need footwell room for one leg)

4) I thought Snake bite (Don Pilling) was a re-seller for harrison kits?? I could be wrong though. Ive only heard good things about Don, he makes a lot of quality Cobra bits at a good price.

5) ?????? I have no idea apart from the obvious things (quality of parts\build)

6) Most guys in NSW seem to use the same guy from Wyong on the central coast. Not sure of his name but Quite a few people in here should be able to put you onto him.

My best suggestion is that you spend a few hours reading through all the old threads in this forum. Lots of useful info, but always good in terms of the legalitites of getting car on the road to speak to the engineer.

Cheers.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I was leaving the answers here to some NSW Ford guys but it looks liek they are all quite.

1 = Where I am living I had to apply with the local government for an "approval in principal" to build my car, on this application I had to list all the drivetrain, brakes = type and size, Wheel size, just about the complete car in writing.
If this is the same in NSW then i would want that certificate as proof of build start date.
If the car was started before 1 January 2005 then as Tenrocca says you must compy with emmision reg 79/03 in which case your 5 litre ford with efi or lpg is ok (on a side note to that I do know a guy in SA who has used a 5 litre engine from a truck in japan (I dont know what truck) that was built to 79/03 regs and used a carbie, he has succesfully registered)

2 = This is probably more personal choice than anything, If you want irs then go with the jag, if you are going to make a shyt load of power then go live axle with 9 inch.
The drb torana kits are the most common in Australia as I think they are the cheapest to assemble (not a bad thing)
Also if you are thinking about some fun on the track then the jag (irs) is probably better.

3 = I guess I answered this in number 1.
But if starting today and you wanted V8 then either LS1/LS2, Ford o/head cam (current) or and I could be wrong here Lexus V8.

4 = I dont know what kit he sells so I cant answer this one.

5 = You need to decide what you want out of the car.
Depending on how far these cars have been completed then check the quality of the parts used, Check how well it has been put together.
Some bodys follow the manufacturers original lines better than others, some have the body bonded to the chassis. All these are personal preferances.

6 = My engineer is alittle to far away to help you

Good luck in what ever you decide, If you get some pics and post them in here before purchase I am sure you will get more feedback.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '85 Dax, 302W - "Street Boss", C4, Jag suspension
Not Ranked     

re: 6) Have a talk to GT Sports Cars - I think they are in Kirrawee. Drop a PM to "BJs Snake" on this forum - he does not get on here often, but he is hassling through the rego process and has all types of problems as he is in Queanbeyan and ended up having to go to Sydney, so is using them.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

COV3R
The engineer most Sydney people are using is a fellow buy the name off Kevin Humphries located at Wyong.

If you need any contact info just let me know

Craig W
Old 04-25-2005, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you could drop me a PM with his phone number so I can have a chat to him about what to look for etc that'd be good.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

As suggested by Cobra au ,talk to Kevin, he is up to date with regs.

I only just got through NSW regs with a special dispensation from the RTA as my Gen 111 motor was non compliant as it was a 2002 motor and not a 2004.

My understanding is that the motor , computer exhaust, air intake etc must be current model.

If the vehicles you are looking at come with a letter from the RTA saying they will waive the rules because of when they were started then your in bussiness.

It may be cheaper (and better)in the long run to pick up a new body and chassis .

Phil
Old 04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     

Or you could buy my recently rebuilt and as yet unused LS1 powered Classic Revival Cobra and not worry about any of the headaches. 1200km only on the clock. Check out the pics in my gallery.

Toe.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

What, are you selling up now that it is finished?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

This car looks ten times better in real life than the photos suggest.

The best part is its finished so no hassles with the RTA.

Sorry to see he is selling before he got chance to experience the thrills but I expect his new ventures preclude such activities.

Whoever buys this car will be one happy person.

Phil (still clutchless)
Old 04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil is correct on two counts. The car looks a million bucks, and my new ventures of two children (and practicing for a third...;>) and farming leave me with little time. Do not worry though fella's, I am not in the position where I have to give it away

The way the RTA and equivalent Vic Muppet Show are clamping down the good ones will possibly be worth a bob soon enough. I am sure my CR fits in that category and I am happy to keep it just to look at for the mioment.

Toe.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Sloth

Still looking.....go on take it for a drive. You'll want to keep it.

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 05-10-2005, 02:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did on the weekend Bernie. I collected it from the upholsterer with new soft top and it looks great. Still go's like scolded cat too though me now more respectful.

Once harvest is over I shall find a little time to enjoy it more.

Cheers.