Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Wiper system options

Can anyone explain why we seem to all run the older lucas style wiper systems over anything newer?

Am I correct in assuming the use of the coiled metal drive over some form of occilating lever system is the prime reason?

If this is so what model cars are best to target for a 3 wiper system?

Seems I can't get sign off from my engineer without screen and ancillaries in place. Vic-Roads requires pictures of the various ICV components on the car being signed off prior to receiving a VIN.

Through my enquiries todate I have noted a range of swept degrees suggested as suitable and this is somewhat confusing. Are the various windscreens being used different in size?

I have the option to use a 110 degree wiper but wonder if this is suitable. I also have Don Pilling's 3 wiper drawing, can anybody indicate what sweep this is designed for? I would like to buy his all new kit but $ initially dictate a cheaper option, which I have.

Can anyone shed some light on what wiping system is suitable.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

These are the reasons I can see for using Lucas system:

Tried and proven, you don't have to re-invent the wheel
Original style
Spiral wound drive cable and bundy tube housing takes up very little room compared to level arm
Lucas system is an easy type to modify/supply to correct wiper arm spacing
Lucas system is an easy type to modify/supply with correct sweep
Lucas system wheel box shafts fit directly onto little Trico Stainless wipers, Wipers are supplied with adaptors to fit to other shaft types.
Wiring is easy
Easy availability for nice looks chrome bezzels to fit over wheel box shafts
Easy to space to right angle and distance from body.
Parts are readily available, will always be able to buy new parts for this system.

Personally I wouldn't skimp on wipers. When you really need them, you really need them to be reliable.

Last edited by 400TT; 04-05-2006 at 02:12 AM..
Old 04-05-2006, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig

I suppose your response says it all - well almost

What donor sources should I be looking at particularly to get the right sweep?

Cheers
Old 04-10-2006, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 302 Windsor Supra 5 speed Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     
Default Source for Lucas wipers

Hi Stephen,

Last week I bought my wiper motor from Stafford Vehicle Components
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/
I bought it online from their website, they were really prompt and it arrived by post in just 5 days. You can order the drive gear seperately with the sweep angle that you require, I have an RMC which is similar to the G-force and I used a 105 degree. Stafford also supply the wheelboxes and drive parts, their prices are OK, but the postage is expensive.
It is a rotten job to get to the wipers after the dash is installed so I would rather pay for new parts that fit and never have to worry about them again.

Cheers

Ross
Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 5 litre Cobra, T5 Manual, Toyota Soarer Running gear, ROH Wheels
Send a message via Yahoo to WASP
Not Ranked     

My brother tried to skimp on a wiper set and stuffed around getting bits and pieces and modifying them to suit. Sadly I think he still uses Rainex as his wipers fail on a regular basis. I bought Don's set. Fitted it in two hours and have no regrets. Your engineer is going to want a three wiper set so that the coverage of the wiper blades comply to the ADR's

Cheers
Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Why do you need wipers? don't think I have ever used mine except when I forget the layout of the switches on the dash.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue