Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   A bit of help for the new guy (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/69185-bit-help-new-guy.html)

Newbuilder 05-03-2006 02:27 AM

A bit of help for the new guy

Hi all,

Bit new to all of the cobra thing, but have been researching and looking at these cars for the better part of two years (on and off). I have finally decided that it is time to take the plunge and build my own cobra.

Now I have looked at a million sites and read a million build stories, but I am trying to put my finger on which kit is for me.

Now a bit about me. I am no automotive engineer (although I have a fair idea of how a car works and have done some home modifying of my own car - suspension work, interior bits and pieces etc). I would like a kit that does not hold to many suprises and is as fairly straight forward as a build like this can be. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty or to give things a go, but I dont want this to turn into a project that I give up on because the build becomes to onerous.

Has anyone got any suggestions on a decent quality kit, that has good instructions, the company that produces it has good customer service and wont become a ten year project that costs me house?

Thanks for all of your help in advance,

Mike

simon clemens 05-03-2006 04:15 AM

In all honesty no kit will be fairly straight forward, I believe any project like this will hold many suprises. However if you really want one it can be done!
It takes more time than what you think it will and possibly more $$'s too... but don't be turned off by what I have not sugar coated, because building one is a fantastic experience and it will pay off :)

Mine is not licenced yet, but is drivable and is great fun to drive!!!!!!

Not sure which kit would be best for you as I have built mine in a different way, however they all have their pros & cons, but I will suggest that you find your closest COBRA club in your state, just so you can have a good talk with the members about their brand cars, and have a look at them too so you can make up your mind

Good luck

SIMMO

Gav 05-03-2006 03:18 PM

Mike,
well to start with you have a good name for a cobra builder.....
Any how I can only talk for my own experience but I have bught a Classic Revival kit as not only did I want a chev but it seemed to be the one of the only kits that uses unmodified suspension and other parts. To me that meant that if the company goes bust you will be fine for spares and you ca locate many of the bits yourself without a middleman involved.
Mine is going together great, but I am not so silly as to be counting the cost!

Good luck
Gav

Tenrocca 05-03-2006 06:26 PM

Like Gav I can only speak for CR. I am very happy with my kit, but there are a lot of things that I think could be done in the factory to improve it. The manual is limited, and there is no way your average joe could build it based on just the manual. Lots of little things that arent made clear, and lots of details are omitted. This forum makes a huge difference, and everyone is very keen to help. If it wasnt for this forum and so many people on it building the same car, and knowing I could learn from all of them, then I may have chosen another. I think you just need to look through old posts to see there are more build detail posts on the CR then any other make. This could be that the manual is so useless and us builders have had more problems then any other make though :D.

Id still choose the CR again if I had to, but thats not to say its the best. The harrison is clearly a great kit, and there are a lot of them beiong built particularly in QLD at present. I think the G-Force has a great shape to (to me looks most correct out of all of them), but I dont mind the chunkier look of the CR either. My knowledge or cars and car building was pretty much zero, but youll ALOT as you go along. With the numbers that have gone before me, and what I can learns from them, I feel confident I may even finish one day.

Cheers

pneall 05-03-2006 07:32 PM

Mike,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cobra people.Picking a manufacturer is difficult and it depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve and what state you live in.

If you want a Cobra that looks like the originals with the correct wheel offsets then the CR is not for you as it uses donor parts that prevent this.The CR is pretty easy to put together and with the number of CR owners on the forum you wont have any problems. The CR has a well built chassis and the body comes with all panels glassed in. Makes it a great bath tub.

If you want to go racing then the Harrison would be hard to beat as it is probably one on the lightest and you get to try your sheet metal skills as well. You also get a pretty good wheel offset as well.

The best thing you can do is join a club, go to the meetings and ask lots of questions. I wish I had.

Its also important you talk to your engineer and find out what is and isnt acceptable in your state as the rules change and individual engineers have different interpretations.

The easy way is to buy one already built, especially if you have your heart set on a Ford engine and are trying to avoid the Dark Side.

What ever you chose you are in for a blast.

Phil:)

Aussie Mike 05-03-2006 08:18 PM

You've come to the right place for a start. No matter which kit you choose there will be no shortage of usefull advice here to help you through your build.

I've got a CR as well and am happy with it as it suits what I want in a cobra but you may have a different list of priorities than me.

Sit down and write a list of what's important to you in your Cobra and it's priority and that will help us point you in the right direction for a kit and running gear.

Don't be afraid to ask questions no mater how trivial they may seem as they can become bigger issues later on.

Cheers

Newbuilder 05-03-2006 08:30 PM

Wow, thanks for the useful information everyone. Seems like a lot of people have gone the way of the Classic Revival kit. I guess my question would be, would you use this kit again (assuming you were a novice at building cars) knowing that the instructions were poor/could be improved?

Here are a few things that I pieced together from what I have already learnt:
-Authenticity is not a huge concern for me - I am really after a car that I think looks cool and goes down the road in one piece.
-If possible I am trying to avoid this becoming a black hole of money :D, although from what I have seen that can happen with any kit.
-I am not particualarly pleased with the concept of having poor instructions (although I dont mind asking questions).
-Im located in Victoria, but dont mind getting a kit from interstate.
-I have no particular power requirements from a cobra, other than some track days which I would love to try for the first time. Im also indifferent when it comes to engine manufacturers (although in keeping costs reasonable Im sure that it will impact on engine type etc).

Mike (seems like most people on here are named Mike/Michael - what up with that? ;))

Newbuilder 05-03-2006 09:06 PM

I saw that there is a local gathering on tonight. Would love to come down to ask a million questions. What time should I show up?

Aussie Mike 05-03-2006 09:15 PM

Vic Cobra club meeting is at the German Club Tivoli and starts around 6:30-7:00PM

The address is:

291 Dandenong Rd
Windsor

http://www.germanclubtivoli.com.au/new/tivoli_map.jpg

Hope to see you there

Cheers

Newbuilder 05-03-2006 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Mike
Vic Cobra club meeting is at the German Club Tivoli and starts around 6:30-7:00PM

The address is:

291 Dandenong Rd
Windsor

Hope to see you there

Cheers

Will try and make it tonight. Look for a youngish guy (me) with my old man (whom I am trying to convince to build one of these with me :)).

Luke Gillett 05-03-2006 09:39 PM

Hi Mike,
I too have a CR kit. Although I've only had it about a month now and haven't made too much progress, I've got to say I'm having a ball:D . Hope to see you tonight.

Aussie Mike, Hopefully I will catch up with you tonight as well. Unfortunately I couldn't stay too long last month and had to rush off before you arrived.

Luke....

stiffy 05-03-2006 10:14 PM

We will save you a beer...

Hi newbuilder,

You are most welcome tonight, I can even give you a membership form and FREE advice on the best beer to have :LOL: :LOL:

See you then,

STIFFY

Churchy 05-03-2006 10:41 PM

CR Build

Hi Mike,

I am building with a mate and we too have a CR, and what the build manual lacks in detail is certainly made up for on the forum by the help and experience of the guys that have built, or are building these great machines.

I am of the opinion that we are building a hot rod and not a Shelby Cobra, hence the fact that I am not worried about using a Chev LS1 (watch the abuse I cop for that statement).

I am like you and want a car that is a heap of fun to drive, that I can take to the occasional track day (my driving skills will be severly tested) and that I can work on myself. What I have discovered is that the built is half the fun (well all of the fun at the moment cause it ain't finished). I am looking forward to the day it fires up, but am already planning what I can build/restore next.

Whichever one you choose, you will have a great time researching and discovering skills you never knew you had.. :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers. Mark (not a Mike)

RODA 05-03-2006 10:57 PM

New builder

Mike

I am yet another CR kit owner though I have only had mine a week.

I have to agree with the coments made by some of the guys with regards to the manual and the finish. Some areas could be greatly improved with very little time or effort during the kit construction at the factory.

You have come to the right place for help with your build questions. The help you will get from the guys on the forum is fantastic.

I am also in Melbourne so if you want come over and have a look you are most welcome.

Rod

Cobra.au 05-03-2006 11:21 PM

Hey I am getting on the band wagon as well I am still working on my CR.

Craig W

Newbuilder 05-03-2006 11:28 PM

As someone who is a mod. on another major forum, I am suprised and greatly admire the fact that this place is so communal and that everyone is so happy to help.

I will attend the meet up tonight and then might have to take you up on that offer RODA. That at least will give me a place to start.

Churchy - Mark that is exactly the way that I want to approach it. Have a car that is great fun to drive on the occassional track day, great to take out on the weekend when the weather is good and not to onerous to build.

Seems like just about everyone here is building a Classic Revival kit. Is there anyone building anything else that would like to through in their experiences? From all of the comments, I would have thought that with the manual quality etc that other (more complete) kits would be being built?

dbn04 05-03-2006 11:48 PM

someone mentioned the other day about the new C/R website ,
think i just found it !! :LOL:
newbuilder good luck and enjoy

NASSTY 05-04-2006 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbuilder
Seems like just about everyone here is building a Classic Revival kit. Is there anyone building anything else that would like to through in their experiences? From all of the comments, I would have thought that with the manual quality etc that other (more complete) kits would be being built?

Not quite everyone is a RC builder.

I bought a RCM (Laurie Bongailas) kit. RCM is located in Blackburn Melbourne.

There is no instruction manual but Laurie is available 5 days a week and has been more than happy to provide his time answering my many questions.

I'm an accountant and except for my passion for cars and cobras in particular, I don't have any experience. I have not found the build too onerous and I have learnt heaps. I would rather have the manufacturer close to me so I can discuss issues face to face than trying to do the same thing over the phone.

RCM's use shortened jag suspension and a ladder frame similar to a CR. The kit is more hands on than most but consequently it is also cheaper than most and I think the body is one of the better copies (but I would say that wouldn't I? :) ).

I'd suggest you ask lots of questions from different people. You will probably set some B.S. from all of us but if you ask the same question often enough you will see some consistant answers. Also don't assume all cobras look the same - the differences in the bodies can be quite different and some look better than others.

I might be at the meeting tonight, if so it will only be breif as I've got other stuff on.

Cheers

Al

400TT 05-04-2006 01:02 AM

I'll put my vote in for Harrison(www.cobrakits.com.au).

Built one with my brother a few years back, he now compaigns it heavily on the track and seems to have had some success.

CR's are very popular down south(especially on this forum) and a good choice also. Interesting we don't really see them up here in QLD. I only know of one up here.

If you feel like a holiday up in QLD(Gold Coast). You will see more Cobra stuff here than anywhere else in Oz. We have Harrison(manufacturer), Snake Bite(Cobra accessories) and DRB all pretty close to each other.

And 1st Sunday of month we have QLD Club Meet at Sanctuary Cove(Gold Coast). Probably get 30 odd Cobra's and a few GT40's on a regular basis.

I reckon it would be worth the trip, just to meet Warrick Harrison himself. Warrick(and his partner) is the most active Cobra manufacturer in the Club.

Newbuilder 05-04-2006 01:10 AM

400TT - what are your thoughts on the ease of build of the Harrisson kits? Are the instruction manuals and parts of good quality?

Al, will try and catch you then before you head off.