Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-26-2006, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1998 DRB, Chassis #197, Engine will be LS1
Not Ranked     
Question Fuel Pump for LS1

G'day All
Those of you who are using the LS1 in your Cobras, what fuel pump are you using? Also, are you running a "return to tank" fuel line?
It appears to me that the fuel rails on the LS1 in my VTII SS Commondoor only have a feed line, not a return line. From the information supplied by Boxhead in a previous thread, it appears the stock set up has a return to tank just after the fuel filter.
My fuel tank is set up for two pumps, (lift pump to internal hopper tank, EFI pump from hopper tank to fuel rail, return line from fuel rail to hopper tank) as I was originally going to use a Windsor EFI engine.
Should I stick to this setup, or use a factory LS1 pump?
Thanks
Garry
Old 06-26-2006, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Hi Gary
Stick with the return line setup as it will give you more options down the track.
I run this system and it has never let me down.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

You don't need to run the LS1 pump and you can retain the stock LS1 fuel rails. Put the reg on the fire wall or in the engine bay. Run the high pressure feed to high pressure side of the reg and then on to the single connection on the LS1 rails. The low pressure port or return port of the reg runs to your return line back to the tank.

This way the regulator bleeds off the excess pressure from the main line to give you your desired pressure at the rails. The excess pressure and fuel is returned back to the tank.

I'll try to draw a diagram tomorrow if I get some spare time.

Cheers

Old 06-27-2006, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

G'day Craig & Mike
Thanks for the replies.
I will run the pressure and return fuel lines up the right hand side of the tunnel under the car, and bring them into the centre of the firewall so they are close to the single inlet on the LS1 rails, and connect the regulator to them there as Mike suggests.
Will stick to the two pump setup, an ordinary low pressure pump to feed the hopper tank from the main tank, and a high pressure EFI electric pump to feed the pressure line from the hopper tank through a filter.

Questions please
Fuel Pressure Regulator - What brand, what pressure for LS1, where do you get them?
EFI Pump - What are you using? Please be specific on brand, model etc. I have had suggested to me that a VL Turbo pump will cope with 400+ HP.
I hope to have approx 300kW FWHP for starters, with a bit more after rego.
Craig - What brand/model copes with 400kW +
Regards
Garry
Old 06-27-2006, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Go for a Bosch "044" motorsport pump - it will feed almost anything.

Standard fuel pressure is 60 psi for an LS1 (59 if you want to get technical). If you are going to run the stock computer, keeping the fuel pressure standard will make your Tuner's job much easier.

Happy to see another "Dark-sider"......
Old 06-27-2006, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Plums,
With your pedigree for LS1 tuning, it looks like a Bosch "044" motorsport pump is now on my shopping list.
Any recommendations for a Fuel Pressure Regulator?
Regards
Garry
Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Hi Garry
I am running a low pressure lift pump from the fuel tank to the swirl pot then I have 2 x Bosch 044 and a Sard rising rate regulator looking after the fuel pressure.

You never wan't to have a fuel pressure drop or run lean on a Boosted motor as it can get very expensive very quickly.

Cheers

Last edited by Cobra.au; 06-27-2006 at 04:51 AM..
Old 06-27-2006, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

The Aeromotive A1000 -6 regulator is on special for $266 at VPW at the moment. Alternately, you could import it (and the fittings to match) from someone like Summit or Jegs in the US.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Bosch 044 is the way to go. I've got an in tank lift pump shifting fuel to a swirl pot that feeds the big Bosch pump. There is a 1/2" line from the pump to the rails and a 3/8" return line from the reg back to the swirl pot.

A few of us have gone for the Sard regulator. I've got one and so has Phil Neall. They are a nice compact unit and look to be well made. Reports I've heard is that because of their light weight internals they are very quick in responding to pressure changes (who knows if it's true or not but the turbo ricer guys like them).

The aeromotive is a good unit too.

Cheers

Old 06-27-2006, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Hey Mike, I remember you posted a schematic of your fuel system at one stage, but I think it got wiped out with the site crash. Might be worth reposting if you still have it.

Cheers.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Hi Plums, I reckon the guys are right, the best pump to use is a Bosh 044.
I couldnt help myself and went for the A1000-6 regulator and the A1000 fuel pump. Im very happy.
Regards.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Thanks

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I have a picture in my head of the whole fuel circuit now so I will go shopping for prices.

Plums
Thanks for the fuel pressure info, I will be running the standard computer.
To get the car registered in NSW, the Engineer says he needs certification that the Engine, ECU, and harness all came from the same vehicle, and proof of registration details of the vehicle they came from.

Regards
Garry
Old 06-28-2006, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I look at some of the information the people registering there cobra's now need to supply and I relise how ezy it was to get mine past. I didnt need any documentation for anything I was just asked by my engineer a bunch of questions on what components were use in the build, pass the noise test get a blue and pink slip and of to the RTA and it was all done.

Well the process did take about 6 months but that was when the RTA was changing there rules and no one new what was required to get a Cobra registered (not even them)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: