Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Talking It's Alive!!!!

I decided a while ago I would only post progress updates when I had done something significant on the car. Kind of as a way of getting me focused on finishing the car.

I hit a fairly significant mile stone today when I finally fired up the engine and drove the car out of the shed under it's own power. I'm pretty excited about this as you will probably read by incoherent ramblings.

I've been working steadily on the wiring loom and getting all of the engine electrics and lighting etc working. I made a bit of a rod for my own back when I decided to relocate the ignition coils to inside the foot boxes. There's a fair bit of wiring work to do if you attempt this. Check and double check as there are a lot of wires to the coils. Each of the 8 coils on the LS1 has it's own driver built into it. This takes the demand for current away from the ECU and provides some protection for it to. I could have thrown the wiring loom together and got it going but I wanted to wire it up right first time.

I pressure tested the fuel system a week or two back and found a bad leak on the output of the Bosch 044 Pump. I had done my own flares for nearly all the fittings but decided to use an Earls AN#8 compression fitting for the 1/2" hard line connecting to the pump. I didn't trust my own work with the flaring tool and thought this fitting would be a safer option. The compression fitting has a brass olive (ring) inside it that bites into the outside of the soft aluminium tube as the compression fitting is tightened. The olive provides a surface for the fitting to seal against. Ironically this was the only joint in the whole system that leaked and it was the hardest to get too. I finally got it sealed up tight the other night and the fuel system pressurised with no leaks.

A few more late nights got most of the wiring finished and the dash in. My guages are mechanical and have lines connected directly to the motor for oil temp, water temp and oil pressure. These all needed to be in before I could put oil and coolant in the engine.

Sunday morning saw me heading down to the auto parts shop to buy 5 litres of Mobil-1 and 5 litres of genuine Holden coolant. I filled every thing up and then with the coils disconnected and the fuel pumps turned off I cranked the engine until the oil pressure guage registered pressure. I reconnected the coils and plugged in the fuel pump relay and with fingers crossed turned the key. The pumps let out an angry whine and were obviously keen for action. Turned the key another notch and the starter motor growled into life and a few cranks later the engine spluttered into life. After 20 or 30 seconds the idle settled into a steady 900RPM burble that was music to my ears.

A big thank you to Plumbs and it's a testament to his tuning skills coming up with a MAFless tune that runs nice straight out of the box. Thanks to everyone else for your patience and support getting to this point.

Here's video of the beastie running:

Cheers

Old 12-17-2006, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

It looks and sounds great!
You've put the pressure on now Mike!
Sorry for not returning your call I got several callouts after picking up my mower and I have been moving furniture all weekend and havn't had my phone on.
Congrats and speak to you soon

Gav
Old 12-17-2006, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I reckon that would have to be the single biggest landmark in a cobra build - I can see the grin on your dial in the vid! Well done Mike - not long now
Old 12-17-2006, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guy's

My face hurts from grinning like an idiot all afternoon.

It goes! The next job is making it stop. I still have to hook up the brake lines to the master cylinders and bleed the system. I've also found a pin hole in one of the welds on my lower radiator pipe. I'll have to drain the coolant and pull it out so I can re weld it. Such is life.

Cheers

Old 12-17-2006, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Mike on what is a big point in your build.
I too am dead keen to get my car fired up fairly soon, Still have a few small things to get done but getting closer by the day.

Sorry I didnt get to catch up on this latest trip with you but it was good to see you afew weeks ago.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Purrrrrfect

Mike sounds great,

Congratulations.

The coolant thing is a bugger, I was not to keen on buying bottles of the stuff every time I had to do something with the cooling system. The last time I drained the coolant into a bucket and then strained it thru a stocking and reused it. The coolant was only in the car for a day.

Phil

Last edited by Philm; 12-17-2006 at 04:43 AM..
Old 12-17-2006, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Talking yea!!!

congrats Mike i am very happy for you .
Now as long as you dont decide to pull the engine out to fix the leak it should all be well.
I must say you are a typical cobra builder in that you make it go well before you can stop it .
I would have hated to see the consequences if you had it in gear gave it a rev and the pivot fell off the clutch lever . it would have turned you cobra and your house into demolition yard. .
Anyway Mike well done and will see you at shelby fest in you cobra .
Regards oz
Old 12-17-2006, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Too right! at $65 a bottle I'll be recycling the coolant. I'll buy a nice clean oil drain pan to drop it into and then use your strain it through a stocking trick before putting it back in.

Oz, I've got all the bits there to make it stop they just aren't connected yet. It was something I was working on whilst doing the wiring but I just couldn't wait. I had to drop it off the axle stands and fire it up.

It was a bit of a nervous ride rolling out of the work shop. I wasn't sure what to expect. The coper/ceramic clutch behaved itself nicely and didn't mind slipping a bit as I eased the pedal out. I reckon I could have used a 3/4" Clutch MC rather than the 7/8" and it would have worked fine too. Might be something to change in the future for an even lighter clutch pedal.

Cheers

Old 12-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Mike,

As you're now aware, getting the engine going is a mighty motivator.

It sounds *sweet*

Thanks for the update

And I notice that yet again you've lifted the bar.... photos are now old hat an d an imbedded video is now required ;-)

great stuff

LoBelly
Old 12-17-2006, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some Backyardy ****box
Not Ranked     
Default Brum Brum

Wow Mike thats great no more pretend brum brum noises from the garage its now got the real thing running. Well done! Cant wait to see it at Shelby Fest.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Hey Mike, what a treat, sure is a long ways from those early photos....will stay tuned for the next edition. Great video.....
Old 12-17-2006, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival (CR3204) 6ltr s/c, T56 6spd
Not Ranked     

Great video,
The grin from ear to ear says it all. Well done Mike.
Luke...
Old 12-17-2006, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Well Done.......

Hey Aussie,

When I can work out how to view the video I will,

Well done and good luck with the next step in the build.

STIFFY
Old 12-17-2006, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Great news Mike!

I cannot wait for that day, it must be awesome.

Ben
Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

That's great news Mike...

It sounds great and throttle response doesn't look too bad from the video either...

I thought this day would never come, I can't wait to fire mine up now!!!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Aussie

Well done mate. .. now don't run out of petrol/fuel/gas or it will be back to the 'brum..brummmm

Whoaa close now.

And the best 30 minutes watching all the other Cobra clips..

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 12-18-2006 at 12:58 AM..
Old 12-18-2006, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush fibreglass body and chassis, running stage2 302 cleveland on LPG.
Not Ranked     

hay aussie go for it. my saying was number 5 alive because it was the first i started but number 5 i worked on and the last completed
Old 12-18-2006, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Mike

Very well done, you should be on the downward slope now to getting the rest finished ASAP.

As sort of oft quoted but maligned here "one small step for mankind....one giant leap for Mikey!

Cheers
Old 12-18-2006, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Awesome Mike!!!!!
Congrats!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. LS1, T56, Billy Cart
Not Ranked     

Mike,

Congrats mate. Glad to see and hear It's all fired up.

Now for the brakes and then ->