Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival
Not Ranked     
Default L76 6.0 litre Crate Motor

I'm yet another CR builder and i have a new crate motor for sale if anyone is interested, it is surplus to my requirements as i am running LS2 in my kit, these engines are available at Holden spare parts for $7500 i will be selling this one for offers around $7000, i've also read that the warranty on these motors has now been increased to 2 years effective immediatley, these engines are also Euro 3 compliant as they are fitted to current production commodores.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hi Nigel, I just question the cost you mentioned of $7000.00.

The reason I ask is because there are a couple of sources offering these motors for around $6500.00 in crate form.

I am one who purchased one of these motors and like you, had a preference for the LS2. In the end I decided on the L76 because of:

1. Cost
2. Ability to upgrade to similar LS2 power levels
3. Arguably better heads and intake

Unless the engine you offer has some other components over a basic crate then you may have to match the advertised approx $6500.00 GST paid.

Cheers and best of luck
Old 04-17-2007, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

I second that one, although I was happy to let Les make the point first.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Nigel, I've just had another thought.....that has to do with the warranty and whether that is transferable to a second owner.

Should it not be then you may have to look at offering the engine at less than $6500.00.

Even then, at $6500.00 a purchaser may prefer to buy from a dealer as opposed to a private sale. A warranty claim is best done thru the dealer who sold the item to avoid any disputes.

I do wish you the best however and hope you find a buyer.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default l76

Thanks for the feedback, who is selling them for $6500, I know the frankston Holden HSV division is selling same for $7500, but if there out there being sold for 6 1/2 K i would have to consider a lower price, warranty would be covered by original purchase receipt that would accompany the engine. Are the engines at $6500 from GMH surplus or an overseas supply ie Corvette or pontiac. This engine is being delivered this week and as it is surplus i am happy to pass it on at my cost as per invoice. I ordered this engine some eight weeks ago and have not seen the final cost hence leaning toward $7K as an indicator.

thanks again
Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Hey Rebel1 when I go to Hong Kong I am buying you a ticket and you can can do my 'haggling' for me.

Sure we could find some LS parts over there!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nigel, they are Holden Australia surplus engines.

See here on the LS1 forums from Holmart: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...&highlight=L76

Blair, HONG KONG!!!! been there, done that, read the book, seen the movie, worn the T-shirt. I love the place.

Before ya go.....make an appointment to see your GP, get some anti-biotics.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Blair,

If you have time take a trip to Aberdeen and jump on one of the Junks into the harbour - different world!

Also if you are in Kowloon, go a couple of streets behind the main street (Nathan Road) and enjoy the real sights and smells of the City.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah!, and stay away from the birds...chicks.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Checked out the link on LS1 thread, that leads to www.holmart.com.au and they are not listing any engines for sale as all have been sold or delivered to new owners, my supplier has stated that holmart had some sharp pricing to be able to offer the L76 at $6k + gst i would be interested if there are other links that are offering these sort of deals, for those interested the final invoice price on my L76 was $6700 and is still available,
Old 04-18-2007, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nigel, It may well be that all the L76,s are sold.

But, Holmart have been advertising them for weeks.

For what it's worth myself and others got ours from WASP (World Automotive surplus parts) here:

http://www.autosurplusparts.com.au/search.aspx?cmd=all

Note they have LS2's on the site for $8900.00.

Some of us bought the L76 complete with everything to make them go. ECM, harnesses, all sensors, alternators and starters etc.etc etc.

The managers name is Stewart, he won't be back in the office untill next monday.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes i have spoken with Stewart some months back when trying to secure an LS2, you seem to be the spokesman for for those of you who have been fortunate enought to pick up what you require, but what about those who are still in need. I appreciate that you and the others, as you put it, have got yours with all the bells and wistles but for the benifit of those still in the market why don't you divulge what deal you struck so that the rest of us have the benifit of your benchmark. All i'm trying to do is offer an available engine to someone who may have missed out, ie no profit just what was paid or less.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nigel, Firstly. I am not the spokesman for those who purchased an L76.

The reason I am responding is that I work very irregular hours and am here mostly during the day when you post.

With regard to a benchmark. I have already given that to you. I freely nominated the $6500.00 that was the base price of the crate engine. I freely nominated my supplier. And freely gave you a name to contact.

You have already gained from this advise as you were able to call Holmart to confirm the selling price. Whilst I am aware what a couple of others have paid for the whole "kit and kaboodle" the amounts varied depending on the bits and pieces each of us wanted.

The base engine price is/was the major difference in price. The other bits and pieces are straight off the dealers price list less any discount you can negotiate.

Now....you posted a price of $7000.00. I merely suggested that they were selling for less elsewhere. You have now confirmed this as fact.

Frankly, When I purchased mine there were some on here who thought the price would get cheaper. My choice was to hold off to try and save a dollar but risk missing out. My choice was to purchase whilst they were available.

There were also others who were investigating the possibility of a purchase at the same time and many of us chatted privately with regard to costs. I have no doubt that either LS2 or L98's are going to come onto the market at some time and maybe I'll kick myself for not holding out for an LS2.

You purchased an engine and seem to have paid a slight premium. Now you have changed your mind and wish to dispose of that engine. The open market will pay you what it feels the engine is worth. Lets hope you find some-one who missed out on one of the L76 from Holmart or WASP.

Cheers

Last edited by Rebel1; 04-19-2007 at 05:26 AM..
Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Nigel,

I, like Les (Rebel 1) and a few others bought our L76 motors through WASP as Les has stated. All he was trying to do, was help you by pointing out that your asking price was more than we had paid, thereby possibly making your selling time stretch out as quite a few of those on the forum knew what we had paid, if you can follow that...

All the best in trying to sell it

regards
Old 04-19-2007, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Les your absolutley right i have gained something from all this as i used the info to pressure my supplier who in fact called holmart and basically relented and the premium that i paid was the cost of a good lunch. I like you have held back expecting the pricing to go down, but time marches on and the product isn't exactly flowing thru the system that fast.

Thanks for your comments and input.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nigel, You are most welcome.

Frankly, I really don't know why you wish to dispose of the L76. Mind you, I'd love an LS2 but the extra $ cost just didn't add up.

I guess the LS2 is GM's performance engine and they have done all the tuning work thereby making it a drop in and go.

The L76 however, is an engine with tremendous possibilities and future potential. The tuners are only now starting to understand the vagrancies of the E38 ECM. The new 07 LS2 will/use this same ECM .

We are never happy with whatever engine we have. Looking thru the Australian forum you'll find folks with LS1, LS6, and LS2 all fiddling to get more and more from them.

The only thing that concerns me with the L76(in a minor way) is the presence of the DOD hardware as opposed to the L98( same basic engine minus DOD hardware). Reading heaps on US sites it appears that the ramp profile on the DOD affected cam lobes are gentler than on the non DOD lobes. This is what has restricted the L76 as the emphasis by GM was to optimize the fuel usage with little or no effort towards performance. After all, it was designed to be an SUV engine.

So a simple cam change and tune will really wake the L76. ( I would surely get a tune and possibly a cam if I had a LS2 anyways) . So the approx $3000 saved in buying the L76 will go a long way towards putting a cam in the L76.

Cheers and best of luck with your build

Last edited by Rebel1; 04-19-2007 at 06:40 PM..
Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The only reason for selling is that i have already secured an LS2 from a donor HSV GTO Monaro with under 20 K on the clock so i've gat all the matching goodies, all hang ons incl 6 speed trannie plus air box, flow meter, electronic accel pedal, ecm cats, O2 sensors and so on, otherwise i would be building on th L76. If i don't sell it i might swap it for the Corvette motor in the family ski boat and flog off the old cast iron anchor.

thanks again
Old 04-19-2007, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oi, that olde cast iron anchor wouldn't be a ford would it?.

They are good engines.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1
Oi, that olde cast iron anchor wouldn't be a ford would it?.

They are good engines.

Don't you DARE!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Wow, when Rebel switches sides he doesnt do it by halves.

But he is right about the blue boat anchors.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.