Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     
Question Tools for the Cobra build

Well it's been 5 years since I tinkered with cars and in that time I've had three house moves and slowly sold off most of my gear. I'm left with the trusty red tool box containing not much more than a Repco socket set and a few screwdrivers and other basic tools.

The Cobra is a bit of a unique project to work on, being much lower, more compact and fibreglass bodied (until I can afford a aluminium bodied Kirkham ). The chassis/body doesn't arrive for about 4 months so I'm going to spend the time getting the right tools together and I'd appreciate any suggestions. So far I've come up with the following...

To cut holes in the body for lights, vents, etc - a long list that I'd like to narrow down: dremel with reinf. cutter, roto zip, die grinder, sabre blade, air body saw, hacksaw?

Jack/stands: I like this low profile jack but is it overkill? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MakeTrack=true

Electrical - multimeter, cutters, crimpers, etc.

Air compressor, dust blower, etc.

Flaring tools for brake/fuel lines.

This isn't meant to be a comprehensive list, mainly to get an idea about essential items and build that into the budget. Thanks in advance folks!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

dont forget the soldering iron that will get afull workout!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

My small suggestions...

Dremel - definately. A set of ratcheting ring spanners are great. Get the local brake shop to flare your lines - they'll do a better job and it will work out a lot cheaper then buying a double flaring tool.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Sambo

I think the best tool I got was a threaded nutsert rivet gun. This allows you to drill a hole in the steel/fibreglass and rivet a threaded female insert. This way you will not be using self tappers or retaining nuts to hold bolt in place. By far worth every cent.

I must thanks Aussie Mike for that was some of the best advise he gave me (and there was heaps)

Leeroy
Old 03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great thanks guys, already some great suggestions. (off to eBay now...)
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Hi Sambo

My car has been constructed entirely from angle iron and cable ties, so for me the things you need are:

side cutters
small angle grinder

if your'e flush - a home mig for zapping some bits together.

Also consider

a bolted down bench with a nice vice and (if possible) a bit of space around it

open and easy to get to places to put your tools while working so they can be put back for next time

kettle/beer fridge/lemon tree - no need to go back into the house.

that should do you

LoBelly
Old 03-20-2007, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Sambo,

The bigger the jack the better. Mine is a 2.5T one and I feel far more confident using such a size irrespective of the light weight of the car.

If you don't go for a hoist invest in good quality jack(s) and axle stands.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Sambo,

The low profile floorjack that you found on eBay looks similar to the one I just bought from Summit Racing.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

The summit model is made by a company called American Forge...I got a kick out of the name, since the jack is made in China!

I'm also buying some new tools and reorganizing the garage while I'm waiting for my car to arrive.

Doug
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

A workshop vac...you'll be surprised what mess you make.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

One thing I found very usefull, a cordless vac to clean up any fibreglass swarf and dust from cutting and drilling. You would not believe how itchy that stuff makes you if you leave it lying around
Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok vaccuum is on the list. Just hope the missus doesn't get any fibres under her skin while she's using it.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Do what I did Sambo.....convince the first wife that her vac is broken and she needs a new one.

She'll pay for it outta "house" money, not "cobra" money.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since I will be joining the dark side eventually I might as well start taking advice from you, Les Vader.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't take any darkside advice from me Sambo....I'm only a newby to the darkside.

That Aussie Mike is the ringleader of the force. He even set up a web site wherein he assigned a film charactor image to each member.

He had to give that away tho as the images were not too unlike what they all looked like in real life.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

It seems that Aussie Mike and Rebel1 are fighting to become the Leader of the 'Dark Force'. Whilst there is this unrest within the 'Dark Force' ranks the resistance is growing!

Nemesis
Old 03-21-2007, 12:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

To quote Yoda regarding the Sith "Always two there are; no more, no less: a master and an apprentice."

Cheers

Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

How is the site going Mike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1
Don't take any darkside advice from me Sambo....I'm only a newby to the darkside.

That Aussie Mike is the ringleader of the force. He even set up a web site wherein he assigned a film charactor image to each member.

He had to give that away tho as the images were not too unlike what they all looked like in real life.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some of my favourite tools:

An 8" grinder with a belt linisher attachment on the end. I use a fine stone on the other end for sharpening tool steel for the lathe. The belt linisher id great for shaping parts and cleaning up welds or preping parts for welding. You can get a variety of belts in different grits. I also use scotchbrite belts for prepping parts for polishing.

Another favorite is a 6" grinder with a taper on one end to hold polishing mops and a whire wheel on the other end. Metal polishing is actually quite easy and reasonably inexpensive once you get set up and learn the basic techniques. The wire wheel is great for cleaning threads on bolts and other stubborn cleaning jobs. I probably should buy an 8" grinder to use as a buff but the 6" works OK. An 8" buff would probably just throw the parts further across the shed when it grabs an edge.

Both grinder an buffer are mounted on pedestals that I welded up. This gives you plenty of room to work around them. When they are mounted on a bench they chew up valuable bench space and make a mess.

As Leeroy mentioned the Nutsert tool is a must have. They make for a very professional finish and a reliable stress free fixing into fiberglass.

Get your self a little rool around gas lift stool. It'll save your back and knees when working down low on the car. They usually have a handy tray in the bottom to hold your tools.

Cheers

Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Cobra, Ford 2001 4.6l Quad Cam Stroked to 5.2l (ported heads, reground cams from SHM + a Kenne Bell 2.8 Charger + Intercooler) Autronic SM4 Ecu, Autometer Cobalt Gauges, Trigo 8 & 10 x 15 Halibrand Knock Offs, Goodyear Eagle Tyres
Not Ranked     

Remember Yoda drives for FORD! He ain't a part of the Dark Side!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took the site down a while back Les. When I get some free time I'll put up a revised and improved version. There are so many more Darkside cars now.

Cheers