Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Question

Good people,

I have been a long time looker.... limited poster. My dream is a cobra replica.
Whilst I am not poor, I certainly am not rich.

A few questions....is building a cobra a cheaper option than a turn key??? My initial thoughts are that with a build, you can progress the project as funds allow. With a turn key, you need the cash up front.

Then again, maybe purchasing second hand is the best option?

Any advice greatfully welcome.....
Old 02-13-2007, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

2nd hand is probably the cheapest option but then you will probably never get exactly what your looking for.

In my opinion current ADR's make it difficult to build a Cobra under 45 to 50 K unless you use all 2nd hand parts without reconditioning anything.

Costs do vary depending on how much you are able to do yourself.

Would be surprised if you could get a turn key under 65 to 70 K

My car will owe me 50K+ once painted. To purchase it as a turn key would have been about 80 to 90K (I reckon). But then I did some extra things like air conditioning.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Real: Southern Roadcraft, SRV8, 351W stroker
Not Ranked     

I brought second hand I'm actually it's third and last owner cost me 30K and I thought it was a bargain.
It's about 23 years old now not the nicest car around, lots of patina but I love it and wouldn't part with it.
Cheers,
Bryan
VK3KDN

Old 02-13-2007, 01:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Rob from G-Force over here reckons he wouldn't do a turn key for under 100k, and that's with an old gas fed 302.....
Old 02-13-2007, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     

My dream was to build one , Time went by so did lots of cash.
In the end I bought one with lots of cash most of the gear I wanted.
Then you just add your own bits and pieces to have it the way you preffer
I changed seats added bits here and there etc.

Thats my sorry story
Old 02-13-2007, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

You can have an expensive build or a not quite as expensive build.
You have to have it in your head exactly what you want and expect.
Have you the tools and time to build your own bits?
I have used a low km's LS1, used AU XR8 rear, I refurbished the front end and rebuilt the brakes (sh#t I hope I did them properly) and generally been pretty tight as far as farming jobs out.
I am not going to get too exited about the underbody finish of the car as I am intending on driving it to death.
I will however get sombody to paint it for me.
All up it will probably set me back 40-50k before I start hot rodding it.
The beauty of building yourself is you do what you can afford at the time.
As most everyone pics up I am yet to buy shocks, not becuase I have forgotten or are starting a trend but becuase there are better shiney things to buy

Gav
Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Good question!

I think that it is definately cheaper to buy second hand, but you are lucky if you find one that is everything you want it to be.

In my opinion you get a better car if you build yourself, as the money saved on labour can be spent in other areas. Many of the guys here have altered their kit basic kit to make it better suited to their needs.

How keen are you to spend a couple of years building?

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVREDSLED
Good people,

I have been a long time looker.... limited poster. My dream is a cobra replica.
Whilst I am not poor, I certainly am not rich.

A few questions....is building a cobra a cheaper option than a turn key??? My initial thoughts are that with a build, you can progress the project as funds allow. With a turn key, you need the cash up front.

Then again, maybe purchasing second hand is the best option?

Any advice greatfully welcome.....
Old 02-13-2007, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '85 Dax, 302W - "Street Boss", C4, Jag suspension
Not Ranked     

Cheapest = 2nd hand (but you will not get exactly what you want).

Most Expensive - pay someone else for their labour.

The savings in building are in how much labour you do yourself (free), and what you can save on parts (eg. 2nd hand). Most manufacturers will do a partial build, so let them do (and pay them for) what you do not want to do.

Over 3 years ago I was ready to place an order (for a partial build), when a guy in the local club said he was selling. Build and wait 2+ years, or get on the road straight away?

Since the car met my (basic) requirements (a street car), it was an easy choice. There have been many changes, and many more still on the list of to dos. But it is over 20 years old and still a buzz.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One other advantage to older second hand cars....the engine and compliance. If it was registered with a petrol 351, it will always have one. No chance of getting a hot 351W into a home built cobra these days and getting by emissions.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

One of the biggest advantages in buying 2nd hand is that the vehicle is already complied and registered. And you can buy vehicles with engines that you can no longer comply.

There seems to be two big disadvantages in buying 2nd hand:

1. Buying a vehicle that is not what it seems. Build quality is not quite there, inferior/wrong parts used, design issues, worn out 2nd hand parts, dodgey wiring, dodgey body work, dodgey kit brand. A lot of this stuff is not obvious to buyers not familiar with Cobras. Personally I would liquid bribe a (knowledgeable) Club member to help inspect 2nd hand vehicles.

2. Spending too much money after purchase. Seems like a lot of people fall into this trap. The original budget say, $50k for a Cobra. Buy a $50k vehicle 2nd hand and start changing/improving things, making things better, making things the way they really wanted it. A few years later they have invested $80k into the vehicle. It's an easy trap to fall into and lots of people do. Mind you they have a nice Cobra now.

You can definitely get turn-key vehicles for under $100k. In my experience the manufacturers that do turn-keys know where to source parts, where to source parts for the right price and don't make any mistakes. They know the most time/cost efficient way to build a Cobra. In my experience manufacturer turn-key cars are built to a good standard, but many owner-builder vehicles are better quality. The manufacturer just cannot spend the time that a lot of owner builders put into their cars. I've built 2 x Cobras and bought an old manufacturer turn-key GT40, so have seen the difference first hand.

It would be interesting to get a rough price from a manufacturer and find out how much labour is included. It's not as much as you would think.

Also with turn-key cars that are custom built for you, you pay as the car progresses. So you make progress payments over a period of say 6 - 12 months, depending on how long the build takes.

Building yourself, buying 2nd hand or buying new, really depends on your situation.

I love tinkering with these cars, so doubt I will never buy new.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via MSN to pezza
Not Ranked     

I have attached the RMC pricelist which will should give you a good idea of what they charge for parts and labour.

RMC pricelist.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT

One of the biggest advantages in buying 2nd hand is that the vehicle is already complied and registered. And you can buy vehicles with engines that you can no longer comply.

There seems to be two big disadvantages in buying 2nd hand:

1. Buying a vehicle that is not what it seems. Build quality is not quite there, inferior/wrong parts used, design issues, worn out 2nd hand parts, dodgey wiring, dodgey body work, dodgey kit brand. A lot of this stuff is not obvious to buyers not familiar with Cobras. Personally I would liquid bribe a (knowledgeable) Club member to help inspect 2nd hand vehicles.

2. Spending too much money after purchase. Seems like a lot of people fall into this trap. The original budget say, $50k for a Cobra. Buy a $50k vehicle 2nd hand and start changing/improving things, making things better, making things the way they really wanted it. A few years later they have invested $80k into the vehicle. It's an easy trap to fall into and lots of people do. Mind you they have a nice Cobra now.

You can definitely get turn-key vehicles for under $100k. In my experience the manufacturers that do turn-keys know where to source parts, where to source parts for the right price and don't make any mistakes. They know the most time/cost efficient way to build a Cobra. In my experience manufacturer turn-key cars are built to a good standard, but many owner-builder vehicles are better quality. The manufacturer just cannot spend the time that a lot of owner builders put into their cars. I've built 2 x Cobras and bought an old manufacturer turn-key GT40, so have seen the difference first hand.

It would be interesting to get a rough price from a manufacturer and find out how much labour is included. It's not as much as you would think.

Also with turn-key cars that are custom built for you, you pay as the car progresses. So you make progress payments over a period of say 6 - 12 months, depending on how long the build takes.

Building yourself, buying 2nd hand or buying new, really depends on your situation.

I love tinkering with these cars, so doubt I will never buy new.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Pezza,

Although that price list is dated 2001 they still seem pretty competitive. Especially when comparing bumpers & over-riders with the price list from Snake Bite. What's the quality of their chrome work like?

Paul
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via MSN to pezza
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo
Pezza,

Although that price list is dated 2001 they still seem pretty competitive. Especially when comparing bumpers & over-riders with the price list from Snake Bite. What's the quality of their chrome work like?

Paul
Paul,

If the price list is out of date they now have a website that should have their up to date prices. If Snake Bite gives good service is closer to you and prices are competitive then I would use them as I don't think there would be much difference in quality. If you need anything from RMC let me know and I will call them for you as some people on the forum have had trouble contacting them. RMC website is www.replicamotorco.com.au
Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush fibreglass body and chassis, running stage2 302 cleveland on LPG.
Not Ranked     

i built my car all it needs is carpet on the floor now to be done for 38k but it was the fun of building it that makes it worth it
Old 06-07-2007, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

A DRB (rego sticker said Robnell but it was definately a DRB b/c of looks and confirmed in the description) just sold at Shannon's winter auction in Melb for $36k. IMO it was tired looking and more attention to detail, especially with the interior, could have been better. Still, it had rego and was ready to go and a few k here and there would make a big difference.

There are other issues to to think out 2nd hand. I have set up the driving position to the best compromise I could achieve. People often forget about this as the builder will naturally find the best driving position available given the lack of real estate in the cabin of a cobra. If the builder was 5' 8" and you're say 6' then I would make sure you actually fit in the seat. Go back several times and check it out as every time you go back, the polish isn't as shiny as before and the faults of the car will start to peep through. Pedal position, windscreen rake, seat position & height, steering column position and height all need to be checked against a comfortable driving position.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My 2 cents worth..... I probably bought the ugliest Cobra ever (Sorry OB1)...but under its skin was a very well sorted car and I have since turned it into what I wanted. Some my scough at the toyo power plant BUT look at what cars are doing now with the chevs. All in all if I ever sell it I am sure I will come out at least even plus a history of smiles.....

I bought off the right guy....others maye not be as lucky as me though!

Thanks again Oz....

SpookyPT
Old 06-07-2007, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt
My 2 cents worth..... I probably bought the ugliest Cobra ever (Sorry OB1)...but under its skin was a very well sorted car and I have since turned it into what I wanted. Some my scough at the toyo power plant BUT look at what cars are doing now with the chevs. All in all if I ever sell it I am sure I will come out at least even plus a history of smiles.....

I bought off the right guy....others maye not be as lucky as me though!

Thanks again Oz....

SpookyPT
I don't think Ugly is the right word Spooky, plain maybe but certainly not ugly.

Looks a treat now though.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Dear Mr Sled

The key to your question is research.

You must know how much money you can turn to the project immediately, so this tells you whether you can buy a going concern immediately. This gets you driving straight away, but most likely in something that doesn't meet all your needs. This can be rectified over time but adds to the overall expenditure

If you look long enough at kits, opportunities usually present. I had to buy a part done kit, and did very well saving conservatively $10K and am now at about $28K expenditure all up over 16 months, including forced redundancy in that time. This allows for gradual expenditure and build to your desires.

I had been continually looking since I last used this forum prior to buying the car. I bought the car early last year and my last forum use was in 2001!!! That's about when Aussie Mike took delivery. I know as I looked at his kit then.

Clearly I wasn't in a hurry but I am very happy with my purchase. You need to decide based on your circumstances and finances.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low
Dear Mr Sled

The key to your question is research.

You must know how much money you can turn to the project immediately, so this tells you whether you can buy a going concern immediately. This gets you driving straight away, but most likely in something that doesn't meet all your needs. This can be rectified over time but adds to the overall expenditure

If you look long enough at kits, opportunities usually present. I had to buy a part done kit, and did very well saving conservatively $10K and am now at about $28K expenditure all up over 16 months, including forced redundancy in that time. This allows for gradual expenditure and build to your desires.

I had been continually looking since I last used this forum prior to buying the car. I bought the car early last year and my last forum use was in 2001!!! That's about when Aussie Mike took delivery. I know as I looked at his kit then.

Clearly I wasn't in a hurry but I am very happy with my purchase. You need to decide based on your circumstances and finances.

Hope this helps.
It certainly does.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Also keep in mind not all kits are created equal.

In my opinion some older kits are far inferior to newer/current kits available today. You will even find this with the same manufacturer, older cars are inferior to newer ones due to progressive improvements and these improvements are not always small things, sometimes it's an entirely new body, major re-work of the chassis or significant shift in suspension setup.

With 2nd hand cars you also have to take into account the existing engine, suspension & transmission mounts and whether they will suit a currently compliant engine and your preferred suspension setup.

But as Stephen, Matt and a few other guys here can attest to, you can certainly save money buying 2nd hand, but it's not for the feint hearted or ill informed.

Unfortunately I've never been able to take advantage of 2nd hand Cobras as I've always been tempted by the features, design, ease of build, assistance etc that a new kit brings. I was able to buy the GT40 2nd hand, as it was still comparable/close enough to the new product.