Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Security

Having just returned from the States with exactly 72kg of luggage including Corvette intake and exhaust manifolds plus numerous Superformance bits I now get down to wiring the car and I then started thinking what measures have people taken to stop people stealing their Cobras.
So Brains Trust what should I do? install some fancy fuel cut off or maybe an alarm system.
What security features do you use or recommend other than leaving the wife in the car.

PS While in LA I spent some time at Superformance, PS Engineering (wheels)
West Coast Corvette (motor parts), Boyd Coddington (design and wheels), Foose Design (design and wheels) and West Coast Choppers (just for a look). What a buzz, I cannot say enough about these guys and how helpful they all are.
Bruce
Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Call you preferred insurer(e.g. Shannons) and see what sort of immobiliser they will give you a discount for. It will need to meet a certain Aus standard.

Believe me they won't bother to drive your Cobra away, it will just get taken away by tilt-tray. Who would stop someone loading a Cobra onto a tilt-tray?

Last edited by 400TT; 09-01-2007 at 12:42 AM..
Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default For total security consider a QuikTrac GPS System

I have started my build and have everything except the body/chassis unit. I am building an RMC and apparently they are 3 weeks behind in their orders because RMC's contracted fibreglass subbies are also committted to fulfilling production targets for a military helicopter contract.

I have had previous experience with 'QuikTrac' and have found them to be the best vehicle security/device available. Have a peak at their web site: - www.quiktrac.com.au

It will definately be going into my Cobra when it is eventually finished.

BAZ
Old 09-01-2007, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

www.ezitrak.com.au are in NSW. their system works on the mobile phone network so you can self monitor your vehicle, call the cops and turn your car off.Whilst all the time giving "blue" advise to the person driving your car.
You can choose between monitored "back to base" for a sum each month OR look after it yourself via your mobile. You can even monitor speed ,direction and all that stuff. ( directory coordinates )
I'm spruiking this gear but haven't bought it yet. My car is already wired for the gear and I haven't spoken to them for quite a while. If they're still in business I can imagine the system is even better.
Smithy
Old 09-01-2007, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

According to Shannons, they don't get stolen...... that's part of the reason the insurance is quite reasonable!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Four Steps to Pretty Good Cobra Security

In order of effectiveness:

1) Use 15mm cable, available from any lock or hardware store, to loop through your wheels as shown. That will not only prevent people from driving it away, but more importantly, it will keep people from pushing it away to either put it in a carrier or to tow it away (or to try and figure out how to hotwire it in a dark alley and man, is that easy). Park your car with the front end positioned so a tow truck can't get it front of it. Yes, it can be cut, but not easily, and for added peace of mind while travelling, cable it to a telephone pole or your friend's car. Cost: Less than $50 for the the cables and a decent lock.

2) Ignition kill switch hidden somewhere. Used in conjunction with #1 and you have a very effective deterrent system. Cost: Less than $10.

3) Quick Release Steering Hub -- take your steering wheel with you. Cost: About a grand (ERA, that is, but it is a wonderful hub ).

4) Car Cover, at least it will put your car just a little bit out of sight. Cost: $150.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I like the cable. Whilst I was traveling and staying in a hotel one time I noticed a vintage '50's corvette with a long (20') chain wrapped around a post of the building and the rear acxel (sp?). Great plan but...what if in your early morning haste you forget to unlock and remove the chain? Bummer. Or to butcher you aussies language...KRIKEY! I believe anybody wants the car bad enough they will get it no matter what you do. That's what insurance is for. Sad state when some a-hole messes with a man's car and hobby.

John
Old 09-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka
...what if in your early morning haste you forget to unlock and remove the chain?
American Graffiti, Macon County Line, or both.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile In Alabama

In Alabama we have several different ways. This is one way.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My son wanted to mount a 50 cal on my Cobra. I thought it would look good but it wasn't loud enough...lol.

John
Old 09-01-2007, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

I like the thought of leaving the wife in the car, it makes shopping much more enjoyable

I guess the cable is only for the front wheels
Old 09-01-2007, 11:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just buy yourself one of these. I have 2 and NOBODY will come near my things! Just don't let people know that they're big babies! haha
Old 09-02-2007, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Dang, that is a big dog!!! I bet it gets gas mileage like my car (ie- it sucks everything down running to the next stop)
Old 09-02-2007, 12:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My female is actually a very picky eater! Sometimes she'll go a couple days and not even finish a bowl of food. Between the 2, they eat about 80lbs of food in 5-6 weeks. They weigh 170lbs and 140lbs. Occasionally my female will jump the 6ft fence and run into the front yard... all the nieghbors who don't know her run into the house. She's a big baby though. Unless you come at her or something.. she'd just drool all over you! I had a few things stolen from my back yard... after I got the dogs... nothing! haha
Old 09-02-2007, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

what happens if they fart in the car ?
Old 09-02-2007, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They don't fart much as long as you keep them on a steady diet. They do burp and snore quite loud! Depending on the breed of mastiff, some drool much heavier than others. Mine are Italian, italians tend to drool much less. I'd carry a rag for cleanup!
Old 09-02-2007, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Macloft

Here in Vic. you need immobilisation as part of the ADR requirements. I'd guess this will apply to most states.

A new AS/NZ standard came out recently - something:2003 and this is what your engineer will need to confirm as part of the build. There are numerous suppliers and I ended up putting a Mongoose system in with a microwave sensor in the cabin as well to scare off would be cockpit pick pockets.

Generally about $300 for a decent system. The insurers do have preferred systems but generally these just centre around the compliant ones.

Cheers
Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Forget horse power get Mastif power!! Nice Dogs!!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush fibreglass
Not Ranked     

When I talked to Shannons a while back I recall them saying that I would need a "3 point system" to accord with their insurance requirements - what does this mean? I assume all modern cars have this as part of their electronics.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

It means the imobiliser has to shut down the fuel pumps, ignition and start circuit. 3 seperate circuits efectively.

It's pretty straight forward on the dark side motor as the ECU controlls the pump and the ignition so shutting it down kills both. Most Aus standards approved imobilisers have 2 seperate circuits so one can shut down the ECU and the other shut down the start circuit.

Cheers