Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Who drives your Cobra? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/80875-who-drives-your-cobra.html)

LoBelly 07-24-2007 07:03 AM

Who drives your Cobra?

I think that one of the best things about having the cobra is being able to share it.

This is all well and good but a little while back I arrive at my brother's house (where my cobra currently lives) and find there's a 'P' plate on it (!?).

I'm a little nervous because the only P-plater I know is my nephew and the week before I snapped this photo of his Laser for posterity:

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...vids_Laser.jpg

Pot-Hole apparently%/

Now in principle I'm sure that after all the work he put into it he'd be entitled to take for a bit of a blast but I am (understandably - I think) a little nervous.

So - I'm standing looking at my cobra with the P-plates on and the Nephew walks up with a big grin.

me: 'My cobra seems to have P-plates'
nephew: 'Yeah - Dad let me drive it when we went ..... it was awesome.'
me: smile

OK - so it was under supervision - much relief.

Have met several guys who wont let anyone near their car - so it got me wondering - who drives your Cobra?

LoBelly

427sharpe 07-24-2007 07:10 AM

My wife does sometimes. My son? NO HOW, NO WAY and I don't give a rats a** whos with him. :mad: If I were in your shoes I would find the Cobra a new lair and make sure you get all the keys! %/

fsstnotch 07-24-2007 07:21 AM

I have a hard time letting the mechanic at the alignment shop drive my car. Usually they are cool and let me drive my own cars onto the lift though.

As far as friends, family, relatives... I would occasionally let my wife under the right circumstances, but that's about it! Definately not my daughter. And definately not valet! I know what I would have done if someone let me drive a cobra when I was young and immature!!! haha

Josh

wtm442 07-24-2007 07:53 AM

Who drives my Cobra? Me and ME only. I have collector car insurance and it ONLY covers me as the driver.

Check your insurance before you let anyone drive your Cobra ...

RedBarchetta 07-24-2007 08:07 AM

I let THREE people drive my Cobra...me, myself and I. :D

CBattaglia 07-24-2007 08:18 AM

Collector insurance.....

Great excuse. I just put my cobra on the road and I have been asked a couple of times. It is an extremely uncomfortable feeling when I get asked that question. One wrong move and the ass end is in front of you, I know none of my buddies can replace or even afford to fix the car.

I dont want to be an ass and just say no, but the insurance thing is perfect.

That is my new story and I am sticking with it!

sambo 07-24-2007 03:53 PM

LoBelly, I was going to point out that your nephew on P plates might possibly exceed the legal power-to-weight ratio, but when I last checked it was 5.0L displacement per 1000kg of car. If push came to shove would a 289 Cobra be ok? If they measured it in terms of actual power I'm sure a whole lot more cars would be out of reach. :)

wtm442 07-24-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBattaglia
Great excuse. That is my new story and I am sticking with it!

Not a story with most collector car policies. Its a fact. Somebody other than me damages the car while driving it and I get NADA, ZIP, ZILCH.

Naumoff 07-24-2007 04:34 PM

Don't be so uptight. It is just a replica.

400TT 07-24-2007 04:38 PM

Don't have kids, so can't comment there, but my wife can drive it as much as she likes. Family members are also welcome to drive it. It's there to be used and enjoyed. :D

Barker 07-24-2007 04:38 PM

I would let my wife drive if she was interested she like the passinger seat and the smile on my face when behind the wheel.:JEKYLHYDE

My old man has driven the car but not knowing the gear box has had it stuck in reverse and in second :LOL: :LOL: :CRY: all the way from the exhaust shop.

OMG

Barker

Live fast drive Faster

wtm442 07-24-2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naumoff

But it still cost more than any other car I have ever owned ... and it was a USED car when I bought it! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

boxhead 07-24-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naumoff

I am with you Tony, It is only a replica and it is built to be driven.

I have told plenty of mates they are welcome to drive it, but they also understand that they are up for repair costs if damaged.

But first I have to finish it.

Leeroy 07-24-2007 05:40 PM

I let most friends have a drive, even let some mates take it on the track. One mate will no longer be doing that after exploding my motor at Winton raceway in May :CRY:

STL Mark 07-24-2007 05:47 PM

It's an insurance thing. One of the clauses that I have seen states that the driver must have at least 10 years of driving experience - so no kids.

PCC 07-24-2007 06:19 PM

I have three boys, and not one has driven it.

Mainly because of insurance reasons, but also it does not drive like a "normal" car i.e. you can easily lose control with the power to weight ratio resulting in 360 spins! Been there, done that!

Also, ground clearance is an issue and they could easily damage underneath driving over road humps or even into the driveway.

Excuses I know, but you have to have your selfish interests.

They can drive it when I've passed on:eek:

Aussie Mike 07-24-2007 06:22 PM

I'm happy to let my friends drive mine. I built this thing to enjoy and I don't see why others shouldn't get a chance at the fun. Most of them have trusted me with their car or bike or boat at some point so it's only right to return the favour.

Cheers

stiffy 07-24-2007 06:26 PM

Girlfriend, Mates, Parents and so on.

They bend it they pay (standard for any car)

I was oversea's for 3 weeks in January and a club member was without a vehicle at this time, so Im let him have mine :D :D

He is one of the older member so I was safe :LOL: :LOL:

This might get back....

STIFFY

Sharroll Celby 07-24-2007 06:33 PM

I have let two friends drive the car, both times with me in the passenger seat.

FIRST, I find a flat, straight street for them, to make sure they can work the offset-to-the-left pedals adequately. After I am sure that they can operate the car, then off we go. Of course, it is understood that if they break it, they fix it (like others here have said).

I also tell them to just drive like an adult at regular speeds; as they got more used to the car, I let them up the speed a little.

So far, so good!

five pt oh 07-24-2007 07:16 PM

does anyone make an adjustable govenor that can be added to any car?

With my 2005 GT, I have a flash tuner. It is able to make all sorts of adjustments to the factory OBC. The idea is to make the car faster, but you can use it to reduce top speed (all the way down to 60mph) or you could use it to limit the RPMs (not let it go over 3000 rpms).

Obviously a 2005 Ford is going to have all sorts of factory computers that nobody would include when building a cobra, but is there something you can put on a basic V8 that allows mph or rpm adjustments?

That sure would be a nice thing to have for those with 16yr olds around the house who may try to sneak it out.