Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default An early Christmas present....just!

G'day All

My main timing issue for my car build has been overcome today with Mr Vicroads kindly signing off on the car. )

No surprise on the rego. plates though!!

Name:  First registered 4.12.07 #2 small.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  36.8 KB

If I can overcome my fuel issues, the plate name wont stick in terms of my driving style.

I was damn lucky to make it back from getting the RWC and then onto Vicroads.

Took Mike's advice last night and plumbed the pick up pump straight into the bosch, with the swirl pot acting as a remote return to tank. On hard acceleration I think the bosch was outdoing the carter pick up pump but was other wise ok.

But it started to do the old trying to cut out trick and I found that if I switched the ignition on and off a few times to re prime through the carter pump at least, off she would start no problems.

I'm going to test the rail pressure to see if the regulator is the culprit.

It is hard to have that Aussie Mike grin in your new car when your lurching down the street and being overtaken by wheelchair powered grannies, waving their sticks and cursing at you for getting in their way.

Hopefully a very short lived technical hitch I can overcome. If I am luck before Thursday too for the club meeting!

Cheers
Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

well done slowy, its a happy day when the redgo bull**** is out of the way!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Congrats, that's a fantastic achievement. And very well timed, some great Cobra driving weather at the moment.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Well done Slowy! Hope to see your car on Thursday night.

Paul
Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Well done.

Now you can relax. You can take your time to fix the fuel issue. Do keep us informed though, I'm really interested to know what the problem will turn out to be.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Well done Slowy, I can't wait to get the plates on my car........ Hope the fuel issues are sorted soon so you can get out there and enjoy it
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival.
Not Ranked     

Congrates Slowly, must be a buzz being legal.

Received my VIN today so time to book in to VicRoads.
Question time. What is needed by VicRoads, there web site states ICV's do not need a roadworthy for rego. Is this correct?

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...icatesVASS.htm

Weight bridge docket, ID and proof of ownership. Any more?

Cheers,
Dale.

Last edited by cobbindale; 12-03-2007 at 11:06 PM..
Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Congrats Slowy, you've overcome all the unpredictable elements and are on the road.
Mechanical issues are all to predictably regular, but you'll sort it out now with time to nut it out properly.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Fantastic Slowy!
Congrats!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.

Still haven't sorted out the cause of the fuel issue but can now say with the main pump directly connected I'm getting about 300kPa to the rails which is in spec for the car.

Sadly the pump has fried itself and it doesn't take long to start hunting and you can listen to the pump and watch the pressure die simultaneously. The pump will be going back but I'm not sure how I'll go under a warranty claim.

My saving grace is that after I fitted the pump, to be able to make a ten minute trip, the pump started making some noise and so I took the car straight back to the pump supplier's shop (Petroject) and had the fellow come out and listen and comment. We will see.

I wonder whether I should bite the bullet and modify the tank to have an in tank pump? Suggestions?

Dale

Unless your car's constructed of all new bits, the roadworthy is really to cover secondhand parts use type issues, so I gather. You may also need your receipt for your engine and hopefully engine number if you have it. Oh and of course your VASS certificate from your engineer.

You will need that silly sticker I talked about in that other thread to warn passengers they are getting into a really dangerous car, as if they didn't know this already!! Plus tyre and engine configuration placards.

Tyre placard and crash testing placards came from my engineer and eng config. from a Ford dealership spare parts contact I have.

Anyway any pump option comments would be appreciated, as the Bosch option is not cheap.

Cheers
Old 12-04-2007, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via MSN to pezza
Not Ranked     

Hi Slowly,
I know nothing about fuel pumps so I won't be able to solve your problem but for your information RMC just uses a stock standard commodore in tank fuel pump VN, VS etc for the ford 302. That is what my tank is set up for and they assure me that works. I've never started mine so I'm not speaking from personal experience but I've seen quite a few of their cars running with this setup without any problems Another plus with this is that used pumps are very cheap.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via MSN to pezza
Not Ranked     

Hi Slowly,
I know nothing about fuel pumps so I won't be able to solve your problem but for your information RMC just uses a stock standard commodore in tank fuel pump VN, VS etc for the ford 302. That is what my tank is set up for and they assure me that works. I've never started mine so I'm not speaking from personal experience but I've seen quite a few of their cars running with this setup without any p13561roblems Another plus with this is that used pumps are very cheap.[/quote]

I just found a photo of my fuel tank (supplied by RMC) and fuel pump

Attachment 13561

Last edited by pezza; 06-20-2008 at 07:22 AM..
Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Pezza

I think I'm already leaning this way irrespective but I need to talk to my friendly engineering man to see if the mods. can be done and at a reasonable cost. My alternative is to bring forward the revised tank project in the schedule of things.

The std GF tank walls have regular pressed indents to give the tank more strength but these interfere with where such additions can be mounted. This is why I need advice from the fellow that I would approach to do this work.

Thanks anyway and cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: