Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down R.t.a. In Nsw Have Done It Again.

I am getting closer to having my car engineered everyday. My pair of 3" chromed Roll Bars have arrived along with my front and rear bumpers and soft top bows. The only thing left to acquire is the windscreen, which will be here in about 3 weeks and the tail shaft. Also have that problem with the
6L80E Tiptronic Transmission talking to the Engine ECU, but Jimmy Sideshow and Neil are working hard on that problem.

I purchased a set of Cobra inserts for Vintage Pin Drives from Finish Line seeing that the US$$$$ was right, but they have to be modified to fit.

While I am on that subject, I have a question for Craig White (400TT):

What modifications did you have to do to get your AC inserts to fit your Vintage Wheels? The Cobra inserts are 1/32" larger than the original Vintage centre inserts. Did you have to remove the inner lip on the actual spacers so they fitted in or did you reduce the outside diameter of the AC inserts?

That aside, back to the topic of this thread.
As you all know, these problems do occur when you are building a car from scratch, especially when you are trying to adopt new ideas. I have had my share, but today when I was over at Neil's garage, he told me that the RTA had once again moved the goal posts.

If you are familiar with my 'Gallery' you will know that I purchased a pair of
MX5 Mazda seats, had them fitted with headrest speakers and then had them completely stripped, re-shaped, re-padded, re-upholstered and double stitched in Connolly Leather. They were made to fit my rather large frame and my head sits fairly in the centre of the headrests. The finished product was fabulous or so I thought.

But that is only my opinion and apparently not shared by the NSW RTA. The new Regulations which are now being enforced by the engineers when you take your car for the initial Engineering Tests are that the top of the seats now have to be 850 mm from the flat swab of the seat where you place your rear end.

My Mazda seats are 780 mm, give or take a few mm, which makes them 7 cm too short in the height of the back support.

We are now working on some new strategies which we will have to implement in order to pass enginerring.

If you are nearing the Engineering stage in this over-governed and over-regulated State, this thread should be of some assistance to you.

Baz
Old 08-05-2008, 02:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Who's your engineer ? If he's half decent he mightn't notice some overpadded seat covers on top of the "shoulder " and headrest. Give it a go or maybe get some fibreglass seat shells and temporarily bolt them to the runners.
Good Luck with it....Me and my RMC went through some Straange things with the RTA too.
Smithy
Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Baz
I bought some Vintage wheels. The AC inserts from Finishline fit perfectly.
Richard
Old 08-05-2008, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Baz, I also had it confirmed last week that engineers are enforcing the RTA change of seat height requirements in NSW. I've planned for it, so no problem for me luckily. Rule changes are a fact of life unfortunately with kit cars in Oz, especially with the RTA.

With the wheel caps, I did the same as I think Richard is indicating. I used the original alloy vintage wheel centre caps and just bought the plastic stick on logos. But being the fussy bugger I am, I got a recess turned into the top of the alloy caps, so the ac logo was recessed into the top of the cap, so it all looked like it should have been there.

Last edited by 400TT; 08-05-2008 at 05:35 AM..
Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Baz,

It was me that got caught out by this one last week. Unfortunately "padded" seats will not comply, as the RTA is asking for details of what car the seats have come from.

I have just purchased a set of SAAS seats for $400 and have fitted them using the MX5 runners - it should get me over the problem.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 08-05-2008, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Yep, Beejay was the source of the info...unfortunately for him.

Your getting closer, hang in there.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
... If you are familiar with my 'Gallery' you will know that I purchased a pair of
MX5 Mazda seats, had them fitted with headrest speakers and ...
Baz

A little off topic, but what speakers did you fit to the headrests in the MX5 seats? Something that will pack a punch I hope!

Cheers

Geof
Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07cob View Post
Baz

A little off topic, but what speakers did you fit to the headrests in the MX5 seats? Something that will pack a punch I hope!

Cheers

Geof
Geoff,

I can't tell you the specs of the speakers, but Strathfield Car radios, who installed them told me quite emphatically, that I will be able to hear them over the sound of my Side Pipes. 'Side Pipes!' Aren't they a no no too as far as the RTA is concerned. Of course they are, but maybe, some how, they might appear after I get through engineering. My MX5 seats might just make a miraculous re-appearance also

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 08-05-2008 at 11:40 PM..
Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build, with help
Not Ranked     

we are lucky in New Zealand - it is the rules inforce when you manufacture it - normally taken as when the certifier check that it met the standard as part of the build process. this means if the rules change part way through what you have alread done and had checked is alright, doesn't have to be up dated to the new rules.

Last edited by Maurice Butler; 08-06-2008 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-08-2008, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Geoff,

I can't tell you the specs of the speakers, but Strathfield Car radios, who installed them told me quite emphatically, that I will be able to hear them over the sound of my Side Pipes. 'Side Pipes!' Aren't they a no no too as far as the RTA is concerned. Of course they are, but maybe, some how, they might appear after I get through engineering. My MX5 seats might just make a miraculous re-appearance also

Baz
YEAH That's what it's all about. There are very few cops that know the ADR's Most inspection garage mechanics are terrified to do inspections on "different" cars and as long as mr insurance agrees on the cars' description (get an approved inspection) you're laughing. My engineer ( who is feared by many) vaguely suggested that side pipes would be nice and the sound would be better than the aneamic whistle that it had at inspection.
MIND YOU I am not endorsing such modifications should be done to your vehicle but accessories such as these are very nice .
Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

So that's how we get around the ADR's, we just accessorise the cars later??!