Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Neutral     
Default My Date with Traffic Management (long post)

I am posting this FYI to give an insight into the process/experience for those who have yet to encounter this - not as a complaint.

In Early February I received a letter from Victoria Police Traffic Management Unit (Frankston) advising me that I had to present my car for inspection (within 7 days).

I rang the officer who issued the notice and asked him what the problem was, he advised me that he'd received a complaint that the car was too loud
I explained that the car was not regularly driven and that it was stored some distance from me and that it would take some time to ameliorate the issues. The officer took my mobile # and said to give him a call when it was done.

A week or so later I emailed to advise that it would take (another) 2-3 weeks to fix everything - he responded that that would be fine.

In the mean time I made up some 2 disc baffles for the side pipes - these are very effective - basically 2 discs with offset holes

and some restrictor plates for the collecter

also very effective but makes the car hot and not recommended - also didn't hold up in my case - probably too few holes

The officer I had been dealing with had an off-sider who came with him to do the inspection. They were both affable and professional in their approach. In some respects the car presented a bit of a conundrum [particularly the obvious signs of there having been a windscreen and there being no washers/wipers] and they made several enquiries of me on what my understanding of the 'rules of club reg' were - they weren't taking my word for it just asking - they checked everything with VicRoads. The inspection was very thorough.

The inspection was done in the car park next to the Police complex - I did ask if I could take a photo of the officers with the car but they didnt think it would be a good idea - during the process a number of other officers came over to have a look/ask a few questions.

At the conclusion of the inspection the officer told me that he'd contact VicRoads to clarify a few things and get back to me, which he did on Monday, telling me there was a defect notice in the mail.

So I guess I have some work to do -

LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 04-08-2009 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: sanity
Old 03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Wow, they really went to town didn't they. Is this because your vehicle is on club rego, or can any car be asked to front up for an inspection???

With the restrictor plates in was it still too loud, or did they have some other problem with it??
Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Not that I'm a vindictive type but I'd be trying to ascertain who made the complaint.

Then I'd give the culprit the weed sprayer treatment.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

He's been a veeeeeeeeeeeeeery naughty boy!!

See Michael, bright war paint and a loud car are too much for some. Must've been a jealous General owner then hey??

List isn't too devistating as best I can read it though - good luck.

Steve
Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plums View Post
... Is this because your vehicle is on club rego, or can any car be asked to front up for an inspection???

With the restrictor plates in was it still too loud, or did they have some other problem with it??
I believe the process is the same for any car - it seems that I was the first of the Club Rego type the officers had encountered.

With regard to the restrictor plates - I think I heard one of them go as I was driving to the assessment. The car wasn't 'loud' but there was a lot of 'radiant noise' (?) coming out of the sidepipes from the sound of the exhaust rattling around in there. (you'll note that I even turned the tips of the exhaust under the car to direct the noise there)

The cam has a bit of overlap and the engine sounds nice but that makes it hard to shush up.

Quote:
... Not that I'm a vindictive type but I'd be trying to ascertain who made the complaint
I suspect that it was another police officer - early January there was a cruise night in Mornington and my brother and nephew (20y.o.) took the car there, at the time it was missing (as it turns out) the baffle from the RHS - i.e. open pipe. The event was full and they had to park next to the police hummer

I imagine that the sight of 20yo guy in a car like mine being as loud as it was just created too many ticks in the wrong boxes - ultimately we knew it was too loud and to be fair created the problem for ourselves.

LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 04-08-2009 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: urgh
Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

I assume the meet in mornington was the lets go cruzin regular. Lots of fellas got a letter in the mail after...
Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Mmm sounds like the cruise night is entrapment.

Come along show your car, meet the Hummer brigade..

See you at Shelby Fest.

In the interim I'll talk to my neighbour who has the old Bentley on club rego and tell him to get some brakes on the front. Wrap his side pipes, take the crank handle out before he stabs someone and muffle the open blower on the front of the motor...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Looking at your notice there probably are some things that make your car unsafe to be on the road. Parking next to the police hummer was asking for trouble (Reminds me of a story my dad once told me - a mate of his wasnt sure his battery was charging, so he light a match to look down the holes. WTF do you think is going to happen?!?.) If you know you car isnt quite right, probably the best move is to make yourself a little less conspicuous?

No one wants to see the police going hard on any cobra owner, but ensuring your not that obvious may ensure we are not all tarred with the same brush.

Cheers
Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Entrapment?
Sounds like waving a red flag to me