Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default Suggestions on light/power for shed

My shed at home currently has no power or lighting.

I had the house re-wired recently and am going to get to the shed soon.

If anyone has any tips or lessons learned from the fit-out of their shed/workshop in terms of lighting and power (or even in terms of other items - like maybe a sink or computer station) I would be interested in hearing them.

Thankyou in anticipation.

LoBelly
Old 07-31-2009, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 540
Not Ranked     

LoBelly,
Just had ceiling fans put in to help with any unwanted fumes from paint,fiberglass and other things plus a 15amp power point put in for the welder and other electrical items that need 15amp circuit.Aircon very soon.Got to be comforable when working on the car as summers coming.
Paul
Old 07-31-2009, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Have a look at "Garage Journal" on the net and go to the forums. It's American but there's some 'flash' ideas. there's also a thread on lighting and wiring. It's an entertaining look !
Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I have five barns.

I recommend you put full service in. If you run #10 and are okay for a year, the next year you will want #8 or #6 and it doesn't end until you have full service for compressors, lifts, welders, hydraulic equipement, etc...

Do it once and do it right. Why revisit this later?

Just my $0.02 worth.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

3 phase is the best way to go, but if it is not available make sure that sub main from your main switchboard to the shed is large enough to accomodate everything that you want to do in shed now and in the future. This goes for you switchboard as well. Once this equipment is installed it is not that easy or cheap to upgrade later.

Lighting is another area where you need to have enough(I have 16 in a 6mtr X 7.5mtr area of my shed where I am building my car) to be able to work at night without throwing shadows.

At least two 15 amp power points, plus any number of 10amp power points you require. The more 15 amp power points there are reduces the temptation to file down the earth pin on a 15 amp plug to fit into a 10amp power point(not safe and I don't is legal).

Now I have spent a lot of your money, but once the switchboard is in place, you can add lighting, power points, fans, airconditioners etc as you require them at a later date.

Another way to increase the light output is to paint the walls white. The difference this makes is incredible.

And don't forget to run a telephone line and water line to the shed when you have the trench open for your cable.

Warren

Last edited by WKB; 07-31-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Thankyou for your suggestions

When the electrician was here I said I'd probably want at least 2x15amp outlets

He seemed to think this was excessive (!) wait til he sees the upgraded list...

Any opinions on using (or not) fluro lighting.

ta
LoBelly
Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

How high is your roof?
If it is 4m or more you might want to look at discharge lighting (high bays or low bays). They give a much more 'true' light which makes life sooo much easier when working on fiddly things.

I would think one 15amp outlet near a bench would be enough, and 10 amp everywhere else.
I have leads strung up on a wire running the length of the shed which keeps leads off the floor and they can be pulled across to where ever you are working.
I would think that unless you are planning to run a full workshop that a 32 amp 1ph supply would be heaps, but if you have 3 ph run to the house I would recommend that you at least run 3ph cabling to the shed even if you don't use it. It will add value if you want to sell.