Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/b-b-cobras-speak-bryan-anderson/)
-   -   softtops (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/b-b-cobras-speak-bryan-anderson/76936-softtops.html)

Dusty Rhodes 02-26-2007 03:51 PM

softtops

To start with, I am building a softtop for my car. what I need to know is how tall is your rollbar on most cars. I know how tall my is but I want this top to fit other cars. ok guys help me out.
thanks Dusty

double ugly 02-26-2007 04:15 PM

My guess is that if it fits a B&B it will fit most others. I didn't measure the SPF but it looks like roughly 15 inches higher than the high point on the rear bulkhead. You could go to the ERA website. They have a ton of info on most everything.
John

wfieldin 02-27-2007 05:08 AM

roll bar

12 1/2" off the rear deck

OhBuoy 02-27-2007 11:08 AM

Is this going to be better than the stock B&B I assume?

Dusty Rhodes 02-27-2007 11:15 AM

I have looked at 2 different designed tops and I am combining both to come up with one that looks good and easy to install, and store in the trunk.I should have some pictures in about 2 weeks. this top will be afordable in price because I own the upholstery shop that is making them. If I have a demand for them I will then take out an ad. and they will be forsale.

OhBuoy 02-27-2007 11:23 AM

Also, right now, I do not have a top, but have the lift a dots for the tonnaeu. Will this work with that setup?

pmfranke 02-27-2007 01:13 PM

14 5/8" deck to highest point of roll bar.just another B&B.

Dusty Rhodes 02-27-2007 03:22 PM

yes the lift-a-dots will work, and the reason is that they are not put on the top until the top is fitted. It's a little more work for the person that is installing the top. but it insures that they will be in the right place.

Juggernaut 02-27-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes
To start with, I am building a softtop for my car. what I need to know is how tall is your rollbar on most cars. I know how tall my is but I want this top to fit other cars. ok guys help me out.
thanks Dusty

Mine is 14" from the body to the highest point on the rollbar.

Randy

pmfranke 02-28-2007 09:45 AM

will the bows and ferrols come with the top ?

Dusty Rhodes 03-04-2007 03:50 PM

frank, yes it will have everything with it.
tom (ohbuoy) would you e-mail me the measurements of your lift-a-dot studs, the ones that are at the back, I need the measurement from the trunk. thanks. ONEDUSTYRHODES@aol.com
I should have some pictures by next weekend.

496fe 03-04-2007 04:49 PM

I'll be following your project with interest. My rollbar is 13 3/4"" from top of bar to deck in the center of the bar.

Brian

RobV 03-05-2007 11:50 AM

I'm in on this. Mine's a typical B&B, but I have two roll bars. Shouldn't make any difference.

Rob

OhBuoy 03-05-2007 08:07 PM

Dusty,

It might be a while before I can get the measurements for you. One thing to keep in mind is that B&B's tonnaue does not go out past the roll bar, so come to think of it, the studs for the tonnaue on the back would not be used for the top. Now, towards the side and on the doors, you might be able to reuse them. Speaking of which, what will be done for side curtains?

I am following with interest. Cannot say 100% that I would be in, but for qaulity at the right price, I might be interested in an insurance policy against rain.

pmfranke 03-08-2007 09:56 AM

how's the top going? now that you can post pic's we all can see what it'll look like on your car. Yaaaaa.

Dusty Rhodes 03-11-2007 07:15 PM

OK I got pictures of the top now. still not complete but getting there I got to wait until tuesday to get the material for the back window. after the back window is in then we can make the sidewindows.and do the trimings. the frame will screw apart and store in the trunk. I'll give an update later when finished. maybe by next weekend.

Dusty Rhodes 03-12-2007 04:56 PM

pictures of the top is in my picture gallery.

duke 03-12-2007 07:17 PM

The top is looking great. Keep me in mind when you get it finished and cost developed.

496fe 03-12-2007 08:07 PM

Dusty,

I little off topic, but where did you get the idea for your rear end setup? Are others using it? It kinda looks like the third link doesn't get a real good mechanical advantage to prevent the pinion yoke from rotating upwards. Maybe the picture is from an angle where I can't see it right.

Brian

Dusty Rhodes 03-12-2007 08:29 PM

Brian, out of all the kits made mine might be the only one whit a chevy 3-link rearend. I started out with a parked (in rough shape) 86 IROC. I was going to use all the running gear, but resale with a chevy motor is not as good as with a ford. The 86 IROC 3-link came off the bottom of the houseing. but on our cars we cant do that. So I made a bracket for the top and went to the back. it works great. all other 3-links come off a bracket that is off center on the axle tubes and goes to the front of the cars. the car handles like a dream.