Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     
Default Need a BDR measurement

Since my car is up on jacks, was wondering if someone could give me a measurement from the floor to the top of the rollbar. Thinking about a lift and wanted to know what kind of clearance I need.
Thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

The height changes (inches) depending on how you have your coil-overs set. I seem to remember 46" for mine... but each is different. With a standard garage you can't get it up high enough to stand under it. With a 10" ceiling you are go to go.

Last edited by Rwillia4; 01-29-2010 at 09:24 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

I have a 4 post with 9 foot ceiling, put the cobra on top and mustang under her and still room to sit on mechanics roller chair and work. 10-12 is best and 9 would be minimum.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I just checked my car, BDR #98 and it is 46".
Old 01-30-2010, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

46" is pretty accurate (based on a quick measurement with mine up on the lift. I also have a 4 post with a 10 1/2' ceiling - not quite high enough to walk under the rails with the cobra on top, but I can stand between the rails underneath no problem. The mechanics chair comes in handy when working on the other cars that don't go as high too.

Since you're in NY, it might be worth a ride to DE to check out http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/ - that's where I got mine - picked it up so no shipping nor tax! Also negotiated a better price than whats on the web too.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

This time I planned ahead. When I had my garage built I specified a 12' ceiling and 5" of 3000psi concrete in the floor. I often think that I should've made it larger but then come to the realization that no matter how high or large I make it I'll find some crap to fill it up! LOL

Steve
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

PM you email and I will send pictures of what i did to my gargare ceiling, garage door and the type of garage door opener. Your enemy is the garage door and opener which is easily solved.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I have a 9' 6" ceiling so it will be close. How do the positive locks work on these lifts? Can you lock them at any height or does it progress like in 2" increments? Some come with casters so I guess you don't have to bolt them to the floor. I'm thinking about a 4 post lift.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe mine locks every 4 inches, but are adjustable 2" in either direction, so essentially you can set the locks to just about any height. Keep in mind you'll need room above your lock to disengage (you'll have to lift off the locks a little to release). Mine did come with casters - haven't had to use them yet. Instructions say you don't have to bolt it to the floor unless you're raising/lowering several times every day - the hobbyist doesn't need to be bolted down. Mine shifts ever so slightly when going up/down, but hasn't really moved out of position.

I also bought a sliding jack for between the rails, but other than playing, haven't used it yet. One disadvantage of the 4 post is the rails do get in the way sometimes - especially when working on brakes/suspension. Many times for these it's easier to use the old floor jack and mechanics chair. However, one of my goals was to use for storage too, which I don't believe is recommended for the 2 post. I also didn't want to trust my concrete was thick enough for the 2 post.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Mine locks about every 3" as well. I've found that I use it for everything just to put whatever I'm working on at a comfortable height i.e. I can have it at just the right height to reach into the engine compartment without creaking my back or so I can sit on a shop stool and work on the suspension, The longer I have it the more ways I find to use it. Cause' basically I'm lazy! LOL
Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The $2K lifts have blocks mounted every 4". That is not to say you cant cut one off and use key stock mounted to the one below to get the perfect fit. Once again if you are that tight you really have to want one. I sent some pics. With 9'6" you are at the absolute minimium as I was for storage unless you can raise the ceiling in your garage. Some people just make a space for the roll bar and windsheild to recess into but I wanted the ability to park any car on top. Now that I have it I could never live without it.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd be interested in the pics of how you modified your ceiling. It crossed my mind, but decided to make what I had work.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

68stang,

PM your email and I will shoot them to you tomorrow at work.