Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   What Oil Filter for a 351W? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/104801-what-oil-filter-351w.html)

bobinyelm 06-01-2010 10:04 AM

What Oil Filter for a 351W?

Just got my car together, and installed the engine with a "standard" Wix oil filter already on it.

I didn't notice until after the engine was in that there is only 1/2" clearance between the end of the filter case and the chassis.

I doubt I will be even able to remove the filter when the time comes, much less get a new one on there.

Obviously, I can Sawzall the end off the present one and remove it in two (very messy) pieces, but is there a shorter filter that will work w/ the engine with the proper relief valve or anti-flow-back valve as the OEM filter possibly has?

I was planning to install an oil cooler via an adapter under the filter, but cannot imagine even w/ a shorter filter there would be room.

Is everyone running a remote oil filter, or just a shorter one?

Thanks,
Bob

lovehamr 06-01-2010 10:23 AM

Remote here.

Wbulk 06-01-2010 11:00 AM

If the 351 uses the same as the 302 these are about one inch shoter than stock.
Fram PH16
Bosch 3402
Purolator L14670
STP S16 This is the shortest one.

blykins 06-01-2010 11:01 AM

At the very least, you can buy a swiveling oil filter adapter that will let you clock it anywhere you need it.

blykins 06-01-2010 11:02 AM

BTW, stay with a Wix or a Motorcraft filter...stay away from the Fram junk.

Ron61 06-01-2010 11:05 AM

I ran a remote filter so I could use a full racing filter. And I agree about the Frams. I had problems with one and wouldn't get another one. I mostly used Wix, but also used Motorcraft several times.

Ron

CowtownCobra 06-01-2010 11:22 AM

I have the same lack of space. I used an adapter that angles the filter 90 degrees.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...-A50/?rtype=10

Cashburn 06-01-2010 11:24 AM

Do you have an earlier car? Changes were made along the way to get filter in and out (standard). It may look tight but they come off and go on.

bobinyelm 06-01-2010 11:43 AM

Thanks for the different suggestions. You guys are GREAT!

Not sure what "earlier" constitutes, but my car was built early 2008 (Chassis 661), but I just got around to finishing it.

Bob

Gun Doc 06-01-2010 08:02 PM

Remote with oil cooler.

Gun Doc

bobcowan 06-01-2010 09:45 PM

Yolu can use a filter from a 2001 Dodge 5.9L gas dakota. Same as the Ford filter, but shorter. As long as you're not racing, it will work just fine. I generally use the Purolater Pro-1; easy to come by, cheap, and well made.

bigbizz 09-13-2019 11:14 AM

Perma-cool Remote bracket between Fan and engine with Dual WIX filters 51515.

Kit Coyle 09-13-2019 12:52 PM

I use a WIX short filter which is the WIX 51311 or the NAPA GOLD 1311 on my
BOSS 302. Note that the two filters are exactly the same as NAPA is just
rebranding the WIX 51311. It is a tight fit on the ERA but it fits fine.

bobcowan 09-13-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbizz (Post 1466681)
Perma-cool Remote bracket between Fan and engine with Dual WIX filters 51515.

Not a good idea. Two filters create a lot of restriction, and can limit flow.

Unless you're desert racing, there's really no need for that much filter material. If you really think you need that much filter, get an extra tall off road filter.

Gaz64 09-13-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcowan (Post 1466688)
Not a good idea. Two filters create a lot of restriction, and can limit flow.

Unless you're desert racing, there's really no need for that much filter material. If you really think you need that much filter, get an extra tall off road filter.

I think you'll find the dual filters are in parallel, so less restriction than one filter.

Gary

ninexrep 09-14-2019 03:51 AM

Try NAPA 1515

Lou1119 09-14-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobinyelm (Post 1055011)
Just got my car together, and installed the engine with a "standard" Wix oil filter already on it.

I didn't notice until after the engine was in that there is only 1/2" clearance between the end of the filter case and the chassis.

I doubt I will be even able to remove the filter when the time comes, much less get a new one on there.

Obviously, I can Sawzall the end off the present one and remove it in two (very messy) pieces, but is there a shorter filter that will work w/ the engine with the proper relief valve or anti-flow-back valve as the OEM filter possibly has?

I was planning to install an oil cooler via an adapter under the filter, but cannot imagine even w/ a shorter filter there would be room.

Thanks,
Bob

I am running an Oberg filter on my Roush 427 (351 stroked to 427) I replaced the dual filters that were on the car. Picked up 25 psi more. Works great and is easily cleaned and is re useable. Check out their website.

snapier 09-14-2019 12:13 PM

My Superformance has a remote and oil cooler and I use a Moroso Race Oil Filters 22470.

cycleguy55 09-14-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1055024)
At the very least, you can buy a swiveling oil filter adapter that will let you clock it anywhere you need it.

Cold start oil pressure went up 10 PSI after I replaced the remote oil filter setup on my 460 with a Ford Performance Parts Oil Filter Adapter (M-6880-A50). I don't remember the exact numbers, but my recollection is hot pressure is up slightly. My theory: the elbows and fittings in the remote system created resistance to flow that isn't there with the 90° adapter. I also eliminated all the seepage the remote system had at the various fittings. Win-win. Highly recommended.

cycleguy55 09-14-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobinyelm (Post 1055011)

Thanks,
Bob

I recommend the Ford Performance Parts Oil Filter Adapter (M-6880-A50), but if you don't want to go that route (or in the interim) you can always run a shorter filter. I put together this chart ( showing the different Wix filters that have the same thread, anti-drainback valve, and bypass valve pressure. Diameters are essentially identical, but length varies from standard 51515 length of 5.2" down to 3.8". Burst pressures vary from standard 290 PSI, but most of the shorter filters have higher burst pressure ratings ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing ) I've never burst a filter, but I know some have).

If you have 1/2" clearance, you may be able to go to the next longest filter (Wix 51068) - it's 4.3" long, so that gives you another 0.8" of clearance for a total of 1.3". That s/b enough to install and remove it without cutting.

More oil filter data can be found at http://oilfilterdata.com/index.php