Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Rain water leaks into cockpit (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/129769-rain-water-leaks-into-cockpit.html)

Sunny66 07-20-2014 10:20 AM

Rain water leaks into cockpit

Got caught in my first rainstorm, while parked in an open lot. Was able to quickly install the custom California cockpit cover which kept 90% of the water out, but still found the footwells soaked once the rain stopped. I noticed that water seemed to come in from the door gaps and possibly, from where the windshield posts go thru the body/cowl.

Anybody come up with a way to keep this from happening? Please excuse my naivete, but how do production cars keep this from happening and can we do anything to mimic this?

Finally, besides dealing with soaked carpets, is there any risk to rust developing from moisture in the cockpit?

Thanks in advance!

cbreez 07-20-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny66 (Post 1310884)
Got caught in my first rainstorm, while parked in an open lot.

Anybody come up with a way to keep this from happening?

I check the forecasts and radar real good before I take my car out... :3DSMILE:

tpatodd 07-20-2014 01:02 PM

I second that. I have the same cockpit cover but doubt it would stop 100% of rain from getting it. Water will find a way.

Just dry it out REALLY good. You should be fine.

Fun time last night--- clear, nice evening in FL so I took mine out. Ran up to the local gas station and guess what? Came out-- dead battery.

I rang the wife to bring my truck and cables but watched the radar on my phone like a hawk.

On the up side I met a lot of nice people and got to talk Cobra a bunch. :)

DanEC 07-20-2014 02:51 PM

I put a ribbon of 3M strip caulk aound the post openings in the body and also a ribbon under the windshield frame as a precaution. Probably the easiest precaution however is to carry a wide roll of blue masking tape with you and quickly apply a strip over the upper door gaps and across the base of the windshield rubber gasket when it looks like rain.

I would use a shop vac to get as much water vacuumed out as possible and then back it out into the sun or set a fan blowing on it until dry. As long as you don't close up the cockpit with damp carpets, the risk of corrosion to under dash components should not be too great.

vatdevil 07-20-2014 05:54 PM

Drill small holes in the floors low point

Sunny66 07-21-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1310911)
I put a ribbon of 3M strip caulk aound the post openings in the body and also a ribbon under the windshield frame as a precaution. Probably the easiest precaution however is to carry a wide roll of blue masking tape with you and quickly apply a strip over the upper door gaps and across the base of the windshield rubber gasket when it looks like rain.

I would use a shop vac to get as much water vacuumed out as possible and then back it out into the sun or set a fan blowing on it until dry. As long as you don't close up the cockpit with damp carpets, the risk of corrosion to under dash components should not be too great.

Great suggestions. Thanks!

Grey 65 07-22-2014 03:38 AM

Umbrella.... :D

razerwire 07-22-2014 10:22 AM

I carry painters drop cloth, heavy plastic weight, and 4 spring clamps. I clamp drop cloth to quick jacks and the car is almost all covered, pull tight so wind does not cause plastic cloth to whip around. When clear fold up and be on your way.