Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vatdevil

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Rain water leaks into cockpit

Got caught in my first rainstorm, while parked in an open lot. Was able to quickly install the custom California cockpit cover which kept 90% of the water out, but still found the footwells soaked once the rain stopped. I noticed that water seemed to come in from the door gaps and possibly, from where the windshield posts go thru the body/cowl.

Anybody come up with a way to keep this from happening? Please excuse my naivete, but how do production cars keep this from happening and can we do anything to mimic this?

Finally, besides dealing with soaked carpets, is there any risk to rust developing from moisture in the cockpit?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny66 View Post
Got caught in my first rainstorm, while parked in an open lot.

Anybody come up with a way to keep this from happening?
I check the forecasts and radar real good before I take my car out...
Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

I second that. I have the same cockpit cover but doubt it would stop 100% of rain from getting it. Water will find a way.

Just dry it out REALLY good. You should be fine.

Fun time last night--- clear, nice evening in FL so I took mine out. Ran up to the local gas station and guess what? Came out-- dead battery.

I rang the wife to bring my truck and cables but watched the radar on my phone like a hawk.

On the up side I met a lot of nice people and got to talk Cobra a bunch.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I put a ribbon of 3M strip caulk aound the post openings in the body and also a ribbon under the windshield frame as a precaution. Probably the easiest precaution however is to carry a wide roll of blue masking tape with you and quickly apply a strip over the upper door gaps and across the base of the windshield rubber gasket when it looks like rain.

I would use a shop vac to get as much water vacuumed out as possible and then back it out into the sun or set a fan blowing on it until dry. As long as you don't close up the cockpit with damp carpets, the risk of corrosion to under dash components should not be too great.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Drill small holes in the floors low point
Randy Rosenberg likes this.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I put a ribbon of 3M strip caulk aound the post openings in the body and also a ribbon under the windshield frame as a precaution. Probably the easiest precaution however is to carry a wide roll of blue masking tape with you and quickly apply a strip over the upper door gaps and across the base of the windshield rubber gasket when it looks like rain.

I would use a shop vac to get as much water vacuumed out as possible and then back it out into the sun or set a fan blowing on it until dry. As long as you don't close up the cockpit with damp carpets, the risk of corrosion to under dash components should not be too great.
Great suggestions. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Umbrella....
Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I carry painters drop cloth, heavy plastic weight, and 4 spring clamps. I clamp drop cloth to quick jacks and the car is almost all covered, pull tight so wind does not cause plastic cloth to whip around. When clear fold up and be on your way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: