Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Car with no side pipes

I am very new to the site and to these cars. I bought a wrecked RT3 that has no side pipes and when I say that it was built with traditional exhaust. I want to add side pipe exhaust but will have to cut a hole in the side of the front section. Does anyone make a template for this or any measurements? Thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kenmer with Ford Quad Cam Boss 260
Not Ranked     

Hope this helps

Doug
Old 11-26-2014, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayy View Post
I am very new to the site and to these cars. I bought a wrecked RT3 that has no side pipes and when I say that it was built with traditional exhaust. I want to add side pipe exhaust but will have to cut a hole in the side of the front section. Does anyone make a template for this or any measurements? Thanks
Contact James Yale at Radical Roadsters, he is the Texas Backdraft dealer for this area.

Radical Roadsters
22955 State Highway 249 Suite 22, Tomball, Texas
(832) 559-3053
Old 11-26-2014, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsboogie351 View Post

Hope this helps

Doug
Not really... The exact location for the cutouts on a BDR depend on the engine that is installed in the car.

Kevin.....
Old 11-26-2014, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Grey 65;1327604]Not really... The exact location for the cutouts on a BDR depend on the engine that is installed in the car.
QUOTE]

Well then --- Doug has supplied you with the shape and dimensions of the cutout, now it's up to you to talk to your exhaust pipe man and determine just where you want the hole to be if you don't want to go with the location shown in the sketch. You'll find that he can run the pipes pretty well anywhere regardless of the type of motor you're running and then you have to decide on the style, size, method of baffling and colour of pipes you want. It's all good fun!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Rayy, you may want to reconsider. I've had a NAF 427SC and now an ERA 289FIA and neither has had side pipes. I liked not being like almost 98% of all other Cobras and I REALLY liked never burning any legs. (Tends to throw a damper on a good time) My 2¢ worth.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Hey Rayy, who are you getting your pipes from? If you are getting a set from any of the reputable BDR dealers, including from BDR themselves in FL, then they should be able to give you a template as well.

BTW, I've never seen a BDR w/o side pipes, would you mind posting a few pics?

Steve
Old 11-26-2014, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'd like to see a photo of the Cobra, too. Is the rest of the car street or S/C trim. If street, you should reconsider your plans.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Old 11-26-2014, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Look how clean that looks, no side pipes, not hood scoop. nothing but the car has its own appeal. mine has side pipes and I would love to get rid of them. one of these days I will but for now I will just live with them.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Donunder;1327608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey 65 View Post
Not really... The exact location for the cutouts on a BDR depend on the engine that is installed in the car.
QUOTE]

Well then --- Doug has supplied you with the shape and dimensions of the cutout, now it's up to you to talk to your exhaust pipe man and determine just where you want the hole to be if you don't want to go with the location shown in the sketch. You'll find that he can run the pipes pretty well anywhere regardless of the type of motor you're running and then you have to decide on the style, size, method of baffling and colour of pipes you want. It's all good fun!
That is not the shape of the cutouts on a BDR.... He posted the question in a BDR forum, so I am going assume he is looking for a BDR answer...

Kevin.....
Old 11-26-2014, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Please don't put side pipes on that street car. If you don't like the street look, I'm sure you can sell it and start over with a different car. It's rare and desirable these days to go with the pure street look (no roll bar, no scoop, no pipes, no stripes). The only thing I would add is full bumpers. That's just me, though.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dang guys you are making me have second thoughts on side pipes!!!! I am not sure who at vintage Motorsports posted the pics but that is my car and I sure appreciate him doing that. The car has some strange options according to Jay. A/c no top heated seats 5.0 coyote with a automatic with only 23 miles on it!! Can't tell by the by the pics but the car is actually kinda a simi gloss off white. I love the car but thinking about a color change during the repair process.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1058
Not Ranked     

Damn...leave that alone...classic look...very kool...