Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Seriously stuck spinner wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/135151-seriously-stuck-spinner-wheels.html)

chicagocat 11-17-2015 08:15 AM

Seriously stuck spinner wheels

1 Attachment(s)
OK, so I moved to Florida near the water a while back, and every day the impact of the salt air amazes me.

I was trying to get the rear wheels off to access the e-brake linkage, and there's no way to get them off. Same with all the other wheels. I've used: lead hammer, long sledge hitting a 2x4, got a tool from the web (no luck, snapped a foot long Craftsman socket handle), etc.

Any ideas? I'm stumped. Also, does anyone know how to get the BDR logo caps off the wheel centers? I've enclosed a picture.

Oh, and yes, I've checked a million times that I'm turning the right way....

Thanks in advance, Brendan

Detroit Bill 11-17-2015 08:24 AM

You need one of these

Cobra Valley's Spinner Removal Tool

DanEC 11-17-2015 08:28 AM

Don't know how this will work on a stuck spinner but about the best penetrating lubricant to break a bolt loose with is a 50/50 mixture of acetone and transmission fluid. It tends to separate so it needs to be stirred or shaken up and then liberally applied to where it will soak in and penetrate. It has worked near miracles on bolts so maybe for a KO spinner too.

streetrod1927 11-17-2015 09:14 AM

Gibbs oil..... spray on and let sit for a while.

razerwire 11-17-2015 09:49 AM

X2 on Gibbs oil. Put it on, next day put more on, third day put some more on. Spinner 9-1-1 tool and lead hammer and should come off. Keep tire on ground when hitting with lead hammer. Setting down looking at wheel and spinner, with one spinner ear at 12 o'clock that ear should be turned towards the front.

Tim7139 11-17-2015 10:04 AM

Buy the tool before something gets mangled.

1985 CCX 11-17-2015 10:08 AM

Car left side goes right to tight left to loosen
Car right side goes left to tighten and right to loosen :D

Detroit Bill 11-17-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1371709)

I remember turning the top ear towards the back of the car to tighten. Simpler for my pea brain.

eunosracr 11-17-2015 10:30 AM

Get the spinner tool. Works all the time !

Karl Bebout 11-17-2015 10:57 AM

After you get the wheels off, the center cap should pop off since its generally held on with an O-ring. I use a hammer handle, from inside, and give it a few whacks. I've read that there is a better than Neversieze product available, but don't remember the name. Think it was sold by one of the wheel manufacturers and supposedly a couple drops do the trick.

Bernica 11-17-2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1371709)

Someone here came up with the saying years ago "Just remember Tight Ass"! For both sides, you tighten towards the rear. And that still sticks with me.;)

chicagocat 11-17-2015 01:42 PM

Thanks y'all. So, Razerwire, it sounds like you lift the car, tighten the tool, drop the car, use the hammer, lift, tighten...repeat. Correct?

I spoke with the spinner 9-1-1 guys today and ordered it, together with the 6lb hammer (mine was 4). Hopefully it'll work. I'll report back. Thanks.

Detroit Bill 11-17-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagocat (Post 1371740)
Thanks y'all. So, Razerwire, it sounds like you lift the car, tighten the tool, drop the car, use the hammer, lift, tighten...repeat. Correct?

I spoke with the spinner 9-1-1 guys today and ordered it, together with the 6lb hammer (mine was 4). Hopefully it'll work. I'll report back. Thanks.

Watch the video on the link I gave you. Leave the car on the ground.

chicagocat 11-17-2015 02:05 PM

Thanks Bill, In the video he specifically says to raise the wheel. You can see the wheel move when he hits the spinner. It seems to me the wheel has to be free to move to pull the spinner closer to the wheel body as you tighten the wrench. Am I wrong?

Shootnride 11-17-2015 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagocat (Post 1371743)
Thanks Bill, In the video he specifically says to raise the wheel. You can see the wheel move when he hits the spinner. It seems to me the wheel has to be free to move to pull the spinner closer to the wheel body as you tighten the wrench. Am I wrong?

If you use the 9-1-1 tool, you can have the wheel off of the ground for spinner removal. You shouldn't need the lead mallet at all for removal, only for spinner installation.

Ted

Grey 65 11-17-2015 03:52 PM

Once you get the thing off wipe off all the anti-seize and use White Lithium Grease and when putting the spinner on choke up on the handle of the lead hammer and when removing hold lead hammer at the end...

Kevin....

Kobura 11-17-2015 08:58 PM

As I don't think that I can offer you any solid technical support, you have my moral support. I went through the same frustrating dilemma with my car after owning it for about a year. I pounded on the spinners with my lead hammer, and in the correct direction after a while, for several minutes over three days. They ultimately loosened to my persistent impacts with the hammer, the face of which became flattened to a large mushroom shape. I have to believe that you will also be successful in removing your spinners and feel the satisfaction of the accomplishment. And in doing so, I think that you will appreciate in the future, the ease with which you will be able to remove and replace your wheels via spinners instead of lugs as long as you remember not to over tighten the spinners. I find this unique aspect of my car to be enjoyable, not only for its technical efficiency in wheel removal, but also for its historical lineage.

chicagocat 11-17-2015 09:10 PM

Kobura,
Now that's the half time speech I needed to hear! Thanks for the support. I shall report back at the end of my difficult journey.

Karl Bebout 11-18-2015 12:36 PM

Kobura, hope you didn't throw your lead hammer away because of its mis-shapen head. You can dress it back into better shape with a torch. A Bernzomatic would probably even do the trick if you don't have an acetylene set up. Apply heat and massage back into shape with a putty knife, or what ever.

twobjshelbys 11-18-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Bebout (Post 1371859)
Kobura, hope you didn't throw your lead hammer away because of its mis-shapen head. You can dress it back into better shape with a torch. A Bernzomatic would probably even do the trick if you don't have an acetylene set up. Apply heat and massage back into shape with a putty knife, or what ever.

And if it's the American Hammer hammer they will re-cast it for you for a relatively small amount ($20, I think).

Watch out when heating lead - the vapors are toxic. I used to get to play with molten lead - first time was with cast iron sewer pipe where joints are sealed with oakum and molten lead, and second with fishing lures - my dad and I used to cast our own and then tie the feathers (a modified "fly tying" exercise but with underwater lures)