Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Am I that dumb? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/136607-am-i-dumb.html)

tocheck 05-28-2016 11:56 AM

Am I that dumb?

Hey Guys,
New to the forum and 3 weeks into owning my first backdraft. Several times now while filling up it has burped gas back out the filler. The tank was less than half full every time and it has even done it when I have tried filling it slow. Any one else have this problem or is it just me?

keezling 05-28-2016 12:16 PM

Tank is not vented or not enough. Air has to go somewhere!

Britishstev56 05-28-2016 12:40 PM

check air vent

Kobura 05-28-2016 02:24 PM

There is at least one thread on this problem. You can search for it. Basically, the discussion involves the 3/8" vent line. Check for kinks/blockage. Good luck.

csw 05-28-2016 07:00 PM

Did it my first fill up...with about 5 teenage boys watching with their tongues dragging the ground...little to say, I felt like an idiot!

Ron61 05-29-2016 04:22 AM

I put two vent lines into mine and that really helped as I never had another burp back.

Ron

spdbrake 05-29-2016 06:13 PM

On my BDR the vent line pick-off is approx 4" down the filler neck on the onboard side. Standing to the side of the car and relaxing the nozzle against the fill hole points the fuel right at the vent line. What works for me is placing the gas handle aft so the fuel shoots the the fwd side of the filler neck pipe or ensure the nozzle is aimed straight down the filler neck while filling if you have to stand to the side.

tocheck 05-30-2016 07:30 AM

Thanks everyone. Checked the vent line and it looks ok. Spdbrake, my vent looks the same as you describe, I will try your suggestion in the next fill up. And yes I also had a crowd watching as I spilled fuel everywhere.

keezling 05-30-2016 08:16 AM

Do more than look. Blow thru it to verify it's open (both directions)

Mark Brye 05-30-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdbrake (Post 1392985)
On my BDR the vent line pick-off is approx 4" down the filler neck on the onboard side. Standing to the side of the car and relaxing the nozzle against the fill hole points the fuel right at the vent line. What works for me is placing the gas handle aft so the fuel shoots the the fwd side of the filler neck pipe or ensure the nozzle is aimed straight down the filler neck while filling if you have to stand to the side.

This is what I do. I just rotate the pump handle 40 degrees or so. That way the gas is not trying to flow into the vent line.

Jethrow 06-03-2016 03:57 AM

I find inserting the nozzle into the filler neck as far as I can helps too ...

tpatodd 06-03-2016 07:33 AM

I just fill mine slowwwwwly. :)

I guess we have all had it happen! :P

Millsy 06-03-2016 08:20 AM

I dont have my car yet but i definitely dont want that to happen since i know people will be looking since i have only seen one cobra around here in the last 36 years. So fill it slowly, put the nozzle in far and the position of the nozzle goes which way? I know someone described it above but i still wasnt sure where to position the nozzle. So looking/standing towards the gas filler, is the gas nozzle handle to the left, right or another way. Im definitely learning alot about my car even though its not here yet. Thanks

spdbrake 06-03-2016 11:57 AM

Stand behind the car, handle over the tail lights, nozzle pointing forward.

Millsy 06-03-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdbrake (Post 1393543)
Stand behind the car, handle over the tail lights, nozzle pointing forward.

Awesome, now i wont look like a tool with a badass car. I have done it a few times trying to get every drop of gas in my motorcycles over the years which is very dangerous and stupid.

tocheck 06-05-2016 05:05 PM

Success! Thanks every one for the advice, I filled up twice this weekend without a drop spilled. The vent line was clear, just needed to point the nozzle towards the front of the car.

CBattaglia 06-06-2016 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tocheck (Post 1393836)
Success! Thanks every one for the advice, I filled up twice this weekend without a drop spilled. The vent line was clear, just needed to point the nozzle towards the front of the car.

Filled up twice. Ha, love it! I'm the local Sunoco owners best friend. I can pass anything on the road....but a gas station.

Zeke 06-07-2016 05:31 AM

While were on the subject of fuel, what types of fuel do you use in your Backdraft? We have a Non Ethanol pump nearby, I was considering non ethanol. I too will be purchasing one of these bad boys in the near future! Thoughts?

spdbrake 06-07-2016 06:35 AM

Just Shell 93 for me. No Sunoco or Gulf stations nearby so sadly no 100+. I also use Blendzall Octane booster (about $40 a gal and it will do approx 3 tankfulls) not that I need it though. I've always been fond of Castor aroma.
This list of Ethanol free stations may help.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Grey 65 06-07-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1394067)
While were on the subject of fuel, what types of fuel do you use in your Backdraft? We have a Non Ethanol pump nearby, I was considering non ethanol. I too will be purchasing one of these bad boys in the near future! Thoughts?

Fuel is dependent upon your motor, not the car. Backdrafts can have any motor installed in them.

Kevin