Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   BackDraft Racing --- (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/)
-   -   Tonneau - worth it in Florida? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/backdraft-racing/137518-tonneau-worth-florida.html)

Jus Cruisin 11-11-2016 03:26 AM

Tonneau - worth it in Florida?

Trying to determine whether or not adding a Backdraft tonneau is actually useful. Or, does it just end up taking space in the trunk. It will be a fair weather toy for me. At this point, I'm leaning towards skipping it.

Mark IV 11-11-2016 04:07 AM

It is handy when you park to protect the interior. Many of our customers don't use it to drive in the "split-zipper" mode, but install it when parked to prevent people from seeing/touching the interior. I have used the tonneau when parking in urban zones and have watched from a distance and no one touched the car with the tonneau on. Tonneau off, I have seen people reach in and grab the steering wheel, rub the seats, etc. so look at that situation.

1795 11-11-2016 04:19 AM

The tonneau also keeps the sun off the seats and will make them a little cooler when the car is parked for long periods of time.

tocheck 11-11-2016 07:36 AM

I drive mine in fair weather only also. My cover has saved me twice from a quick pop up shower.

1985 CCX 11-11-2016 08:25 AM

Absolutely,

Soft top, not so much
Tonneau yes! Helps with random showers, hot sun, overnight dew etc....
Use mine all the time

Rjw289 11-11-2016 08:43 AM

Definitely worth it. Also keeps bugs out of the car when in the garage.

casedoc 11-11-2016 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We actually have a snapless tonneau that is invaluable for those pop-up thunderstorms and to protect the interior from the S Carolina sun when I drive it to work occasionally

dcdoug 11-11-2016 01:01 PM

The snapless tonneau is the way to go. You can't drive with it, but it's fast and easy to install and fits easily in the trunk. Keeps seats cool and dry if you get caught in a rain storm (which commonly pop-up in the afternoons around DC in the summer).

cwhoofgatorr 11-11-2016 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin (Post 1408389)
Trying to determine whether or not adding a Backdraft tonneau is actually useful. Or, does it just end up taking space in the trunk. It will be a fair weather toy for me. At this point, I'm leaning towards skipping it.

That would be a mistake been there done that. I have a snap less cover and use it all the time.

Jus Cruisin 11-11-2016 04:44 PM

Snapless is a great alternative. I like the idea of no snaps messing up the look of the car.

Bill Bulmer 11-12-2016 04:08 PM

Where do we get the snapless cover?

csw 11-12-2016 04:51 PM

This topic peaked my interest and after a little searching I found:
PiggyBack Covers - Cobra Tonneau Covers - Home
12-16 week lead time ($250-350)

BDR_Boy 11-13-2016 08:25 AM

South Texas here... & I've never had buyer's remorse regarding the Tonneau cover. It looks good... and is surprisingly functional. I have it in the trunk anytime I head out... and I use it for a variety of reasons... most of them mentioned on this thread. I never leave the car completely unattended... it's always within eyesight... but as Mark IV pointed out... it keeps curious hands out of the interior.

As for driving in the "split zipper" mode... I don't practice it. I have the Tonneau cover sold by BDR... and... quite honestly... the zipper needs to be longer for the driver's side of the cover to be stored behind seat if I wanted to drive it that way. It does well enough to get the car out into the driveway... but to drive anywhere with it on... is difficult to imagine.

Jus Cruisin 11-13-2016 09:13 AM

Does anyone have a picture or two of what the snaps look like on the body without the tonneau on? I found some pictures on the 'net. They don't stand out too much.

ACHiPo 11-13-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin (Post 1408548)
Does anyone have a picture or two of what the snaps look like on the body without the tonneau on? I found some pictures on the 'net. They don't stand out too much.

Google "lift-a-dot cobra"...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...79145573010807

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...79145573010807

dcdoug 11-13-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Bulmer (Post 1408520)
Where do we get the snapless cover?

Phillip Deal: wpdeal@gmail.com

HI Cobra 11-13-2016 03:00 PM

The email address for the piggyback covers noted by CSW is:
pigfarm70@gmail.com. Not sure if these are both the same maker, but, if not, you now have 2 options. I emailed Piggyback covers to see what they can provide for my Kirkham.

cbreez 11-13-2016 04:38 PM

no wisecracks today but I would put on a soft top as you will love it driving in the sun.

Zeke 11-15-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcdoug (Post 1408437)
The snapless tonneau is the way to go. You can't drive with it, but it's fast and easy to install and fits easily in the trunk. Keeps seats cool and dry if you get caught in a rain storm (which commonly pop-up in the afternoons around DC in the summer).

What did you pay for this cover? Thanks in advance!

Zeke 11-15-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin (Post 1408463)
Snapless is a great alternative. I like the idea of no snaps messing up the look of the car.

Snap less makes cleaning/waxing the car so much easier as well!